PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a disability (or know someone who does)?

Zyphrexi
September 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
topic.

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I have PTSD, although some people may not consider it a disability.

karellen
September 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
please define disability...

Zyphrexi
September 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
please define disability...

are you familiar with the DSM-IV?

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
So then I guess I do have a Disabilty (or Multiple) by DSM-IV standards correct?

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM

That is a disability and can severely affect people's lives and is often ignored. I hope things improve for you.

lukjad
September 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Does dyslexia count?

Kingsley
September 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I have a cousin in Pennsylvania that's mentally challenged.

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Does dyslexia count?
I believe it does by DSM-IV standards.

Although I though the OP was interested in people with physical disabilities. Ones that may need special modifications to Ubuntu. Being hyper-vigilant doesn't impede my ability to use Ubuntu.

swoll1980
September 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM

I have PTSD as well, and can say that it is a disability, and anyone that would say it isn't obviously doesn't understand the impact it can have on the lives of people with the disorder, along with there friends, and family as well.

Skorzen
September 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
No, I don't have a "disability", but I know someone who does.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I believe it does by DSM-IV standards.

Although I though the OP was interested in people with physical disabilities. Ones that may need special modifications to Ubuntu. Being hyper-vigilant doesn't impede my ability to use Ubuntu.

What is the difference between a physical and mental disability? Is one worse than the other? The OP didn't ask about physical disabilities specifically, so I don't think we should automatically segregate.

I have PTSD as well, and can say that it is a disability, and anyone that would say it isn't obviously doesn't understand the impact it can have on the lives of people with the disorder, along with there friends, and family as well.

I have seen many people with it (correction, I know or knew many people with it) and I have seen how hard it is to live with (those who I know have it from something other than combat, the most commonly known cause of it)

swoll1980
September 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
What is the difference between a physical and mental disability? Is one worse than the other? The OP didn't ask about physical disabilities specifically, so I don't think we should automatically segregate.

(those who I know have it from something other than combat, the most commonly known cause of it)

Most people associate it with "shell shock" There are far more cases caused by the severe physical, sexual, and emotional abuse of children.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Most people associate it with "shell shock" There are far more cases caused by the severe physical, sexual, and emotional abuse of children.

Yes, that was because the shell shock cases were more obvious, unlike the less visible cases that happened in the background of everyday life.

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Very true, never been in military combat situation. I just got the trinity of abuse.

Zyphrexi
September 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
if you'll notice in my sig, I've got a wikipedia link to asperger's. I used to have a wikipedia link to PTSD as well.

a disability is a disability, it makes things difficult.

physical/mental/emotional, if you got it, vote it.

EDIT: ah apparently I got rid of asperger's and kept PTSD instead. oh well. eh, well on my blog I used to write about having asperger's, though I'm not totally convinced I have it. I know I have some of the symptoms of it, and could probably (and am) be diagnosed with it.

especially hypersensitivity to stimuli, a mood disorder, and misc other fun ptsd stuff from being in really bad hospitals/schools trying to cure what never existed.

also my uncle is a quadriplegic, and my brother has tourettes.

Barrucadu
September 5th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Well, I have been told at times I have many symptoms of Asperger's, low self-esteem, social anxiety, depression, and I know for a fact I am arachnophobic (life is a barrel of laughs...)
I also know a few people with severe phobias who cannot live normal lifes (unable to leave their house, unable to be near the opposite (or even same) sex, et cetera), which almost certainly counts.

karellen
September 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
well I have glaucoma, if that counts

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM
if you'll notice in my sig, I've got a wikipedia link to asperger's. I used to have a wikipedia link to PTSD as well.

Asperger's is a personality that is not a disability. The only reason it is called one is because of societies inability to accept people who aren't extraordinarily average or more powerful.

Well, I have been told at times I have many symptoms of Asperger's, low self-esteem, social anxiety, depression, and I know for a fact I am arachnophobic (life is a barrel of laughs...)

That isn't a sign of Asperger's personality. It is a sign of depression and anxiety. Many people with Asperger's personality develop this because of problems caused by other people.

Zyphrexi
September 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Asperger's is a personality that is not a disability. The only reason it is called one is because of societies inability to accept people who aren't extraordinarily average or more powerful.

Is that based on your opinion?

Asperger's Syndrome is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder located on the Autism Spectrum.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Is that based on your opinion?

Asperger's Syndrome is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder located on the Autism Spectrum.

Homosexuality used to be included as a disorder in that same manual.

Is it? Is being different by nature in a well documented way with no damage a disorder?

Every single "symptom" of Asperger's is found in other people. Specifically, males typically have strong such signs. (There is a book out there that talks about Aspergers just being an extreme male personality or something). It has benefitted society over history many times.

Hilipatti
September 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Homosexuality used to be included as a disorder in that same manual.

Is it? Is being different by nature in a well documented way with no damage a disorder?

You could easily start a heated discussion with those words. I hope that wasn't your intention..

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Well aren't all disorders based off of a level of differentiation from normality, and whether or not the behavior is considered detrimental?

It starts getting fuzzy here, so it seems that society defines what constitutes as a Disorder.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
You could easily start a heated discussion with those words. I hope that wasn't your intention..

I stated facts. DSM used to include homosexuality as a disorder, now it doesn't.

I do not think it is and stated that (in the form of a question, so it may not have been clear)

Hilipatti
September 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Well aren't all disorders based off of a level of differentiation from normality, and whether or not the behavior is considered detrimental?

It starts getting fuzzy here, so it seems that society defines what constitutes as a Disorder.

Society also defines what constitutes as normal.

I stated facts. DSM used to include homosexuality as a disorder, now it doesn't.

I do not think it is and stated that (in the form of a question, so it may not have been clear)

I know, but you just phrased the sentence in a weird way.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Society also defines what constitutes as normal.

And that is the danger. In that same category, those who are extremely intelligent or extremely strong are disorderd.

I know, but you just phrased the sentence in a weird way.
Something I often do, but don't be worried, I do that in real life as well.

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM
It's pretty amazing. Not only does Society define what is the baseline, but what is detrimental to people. Thus allowing full control over who are considered adherents.

Vampyer
September 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
BEFORE CONTINUING: These views are my personal views and I don't wish to cause any offense to anyone and apologise in advance.

This is quite an interesting thread...

I have cerebral palsy (due to hospital negligence) and it makes my life a living hell for the following reasons:

- near-constant pain
- spasms both minor and major
- the humiliation of being poked and prodded by doctors and nurses (which has it's good moments... ;) )
- a life time of physiotherapy
- the knowledge that no matter how my physiotherapy i do, i WILL end up in a wheelchair
- the inability to get a date (even fat chicks turn me down :( )
- knowing that if i find someone willing to settle down with me and have kids, i wont be able to hold them without putting them in danger
- society seems to think im somewhat of a lesser person

these are just a few of the things i have to deal with. Oh, let me share a little story with you :) I walk like a giant penguin (the linux penguin if you will :P) and can appear to be quite drunk. So, i was walking home from town one day and a policeman pulled over, stopped me and got me to do the standard "drunk test" thing.

The first test was walking in a straight line. Well, when you walk like a penguin it's quite hard to do :P so naturally, i failed :)

Then i had to recite the alphabet, backwards! Who the hell does that? nobody! lol so i failed that test. and then the breathalizer test came and WOW I passed that test but was still arrested for being drunk and disorderly even though I hadn't been drinking.

Anyway, my point is i saw that people were posting that they are "suffering" from depression and PTSD and to be honest it makes me laugh because if I had any one of those instead, my life would be so much easier.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
BEFORE CONTINUING: These views are my personal views and I don't wish to cause any offense to anyone and apologise in advance.

This is quite an interesting thread...

I have cerebral palsy (due to hospital negligence) and it makes my life a living hell for the following reasons:

- near-constant pain
- spasms both minor and major
- the humiliation of being poked and prodded by doctors and nurses (which has it's good moments... ;) )
- a life time of physiotherapy
- the knowledge that no matter how my physiotherapy i do, i WILL end up in a wheelchair
- the inability to get a date (even fat chicks turn me down :( )
- knowing that if i find someone willing to settle down with me and have kids, i wont be able to hold them without putting them in danger
- society seems to think im somewhat of a lesser person

these are just a few of the things i have to deal with. Oh, let me share a little story with you :) I walk like a giant penguin (the linux penguin if you will :P) and can appear to be quite drunk. So, i was walking home from town one day and a policeman pulled over, stopped me and got me to do the standard "drunk test" thing.

The first test was walking in a straight line. Well, when you walk like a penguin it's quite hard to do :P so naturally, i failed :)

Then i had to recite the alphabet, backwards! Who the hell does that? nobody! lol so i failed that test. and then the breathalizer test came and WOW I passed that test but was still arrested for being drunk and disorderly even though I hadn't been drinking.

Ever hear the comedian Josh Blue? I hope you find satisfaction in your life, even with the various struggles you have.

Anyway, my point is i saw that people were posting that they are "suffering" from depression and PTSD and to be honest it makes me laugh because if I had any one of those instead, my life would be so much easier.
It is easy to think the grass is greener and all that, but some people wouldn't mind giving up a few physical abilities for the ability to be happy.

Don't understestimate other problems ;)

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
@Vampyer

I understand your feelings (to a degree). I feel similarly when I see/hear white suburban emos complaining about how their parents don't love them, and how much their life sucks. Althought the difference is I want to kill them, since they seem to want to die, but can't go through with it.

Probably easier, but I don't think it would be simpler. Atleast not if you swapped lives with me.

wirepuller134
September 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
5 years of my life spent in combat deployments. Two purple hearts as been there done that badges. Pins in both lower legs. Permanent nerve damage to my neck and both wrist. Glaucoma within the last year. Forced to retire from the Army due to health reasons, List goes on,
PTSD is real and affects many. Friend whom I grew up and served with has been battling PTSD for a few years, and now diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. Our son born on one of my deployments was born with hydrocephalus, and also suffers from epileptic seizures. Wife fought cancer for 3 years and survived. We have 5 wonderful kids, I cherish every day we are together.

Vampyer
September 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
sorry, i didnt explain :P

im not saying that other peoples problems are simple, a walk in the park, what i was trying to say is that there is always someone worse off than yourself. I've lost good friends to muscular dystrophy, the worst disability of them all in my opinion.

im thankful im able to live a relatively decent life considering the crap i have to go through.

and here's one for the emos out there...

think your parents dont love you? is it tough?

well, my dad ran off because he didnt want the responsibility of looking after a disabled child and my mum resents me for it and even told me that she wished she'd "stuck me in a care home"

I suppose the message im trying to convey here is focus on the good things in life and dont dwell on the bad :)

anyway, rock on amigos!

:guitar:

p.s i'll look up that comedian too :)

tom66
September 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I have ADHD...

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
p.s i'll look up that comedian too :)

He's on youtube. He mentioned being mistaken for drunk as well. :-)

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I have ADHD...
I have an issue with this statement.

If you are kidding, I think it's pretty funny. But stating so would make me seem like an *** if you are serious.

If you're serious....I find it even more funny. Because I'm an ***. Although it's not because you have a learning disability, it's just the placement of the statement that makes it so funny. Not your issues.

and here's one for the emos out there...

think your parents dont love you? is it tough?

well, my dad ran off because he didnt want the responsibility of looking after a disabled child and my mum resents me for it and even told me that she wished she'd "stuck me in a care home"

I don't think we need a "Think your life is bad?" thread.

At least warn me if that's what this is going to turn into. I'd like to not ruin my day by having the worst parts of my life dredged up while reading the worst parts of other peoples lives, all the whiles tempted to share to trump other peoples pain.

tom66
September 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I am being very serious. I have a diagnosed case of ADHD, I take Ritalin every day to make sure I'm not hyper.

(my signature is a joke.)

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah I was on Lexapro, then 54mg of Concerta everyday for a while there.

cmat
September 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm heavily dyslexic. My writing is illegible and I make ridiculous amounts of typographic errors. You can see it in most my posts. I edit them many times.

tom66
September 5th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I know someone else who is dyslexic, and unfortunately they fear anyone in their job knowing they are, because then they think it reduces their chances of promotion. The guy uses a spell checker often.

Oh and even though I'm not dyslexic, nor do I have any real diagnosed handwriting problem, my handwriting is hideous, trying to read it is like trying to solve the Towers of Hanoi with n = 45000.

cmat
September 5th, 2008, 11:20 PM
It's crazy. It takes me much longer to do anything. I have an engineering job. I can handle most problems but I trip up and fall every time I have to simply count how many occurrences of an object appearing on a diagram. I have to get somebody to review it for me afterwards.

LookTJ
September 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I have Cerebral Pasly, which is a nuero disorder.

tom66
September 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Feel sorry for you, I'm not dyslexic so I can't really understand what it's like...

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Which is why it would be better to make it aware you have dyslexia, rather than having your employers believe you are just an incompetent worker.

OrbJinzo
September 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have Dsygraphia. It sucks though cause sometimes I type or write and makes me sound like I am dumb or dont know proper grammar and sentence sturtcure.

Tindytim
September 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I have Dsygraphia. It sucks though cause sometimes I type or write and makes me sound like I am dumb or dont know proper grammar and sentence sturtcure.

Does it affect your typing ability? you don't appear to make any more mistakes than the average person on this forum.

cardinals_fan
September 6th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I know someone who's blind.

Zyphrexi
September 6th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I don't think we need a "Think your life is bad?" thread.

At least warn me if that's what this is going to turn into. I'd like to not ruin my day by having the worst parts of my life dredged up while reading the worst parts of other peoples lives, all the whiles tempted to share to trump other peoples pain.

It's sad, but I don't have a problem with it. People should be able to say things like that openly without being judged. I understand not wanting to remember painful life experiences, but no one is actually asking you to 'compete'.

cmat
September 6th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I find reading (like a lot) really helps. I purchased a bunch of novels for a course I took last year (Science Fiction Studies, lol). I actually managed to live with OpenOffice not having a grammar checker. I got so used to the syntax of stuff I was reading. Also I tend to write two digit number backwards and mess up with words like "there, their, and they're".

Really it's something that can be easily coped with just it tends to slip out once and a while. Especially on the net when I type fast.

DougieFresh4U
September 6th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I have degenerative disc. Have had 5 back operations in the last two and a half years. Titaniam plate in my neck and am now suffering from a broken/failed fusion in the lower back (L4 & L5). going to be fixed soon. I am in constant pain daily.
Not looking for sympathy (can find that between sh*t and syphilis in the dictionary) just stating the type of disability

elmer_42
September 6th, 2008, 02:43 AM
While I do not have a disabilty as of yet, there is a long history of mental problems on my mother's side, such as bipolarism, depression, etcetera. I not sure that counts as a disability, and it's certainly not as bad as PTSD or cerebral palsy, but it's certainly not a good thing. My mother has depression, but depression means more than being said. Actually, in her case she is not sad. She's been diagnosed with it, but it's more of a chemical imbalance in her brain than her being sad. She's almost got it under control with medicine prescribed to her and visits to a counselor, but before she was diagnosed and when she was just starting the medicine and counseling, she had a lot of problems with sleeping, her stomach would ache, and she was just not feeling the best.

But, as I said, she's doing better now. That's good.

Scruffynerf
September 6th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Renal Transplant Patient here, with a heart condition, and a benign, but incurable type of cancer.

skitzware
September 6th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I suffer from schizophrenia... (did I spell that right...?)

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I have Celiac, not sure if it counts.
And I know someone with Down's Syndrome and quite a few people who are Autistic.

bmac
September 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I have degenerative hip disease and am not a candidate for replacement. I take a number of pain reduction narcotics (such as Opana) just to ocassionaly walk and of course struggle with concentration. As others, I edit my posts numerous times and still make simple mistakes. Just gets very frustrating, but have found this forum to be receptive and not often judgmental.
Many times when endeavoring to express myself, things just don't come out right. I'm not stupid (unless you ask my wife - LOL) and used to be employed in a high stress management position. Unfortunately, that position was in the pharmaceutical world and once I was diagnosed and required narcotics, I no longer was capable of retaining said position. Thank goodness for Social Security Disability & LTD insurance. Of course we no longer enjoy financial independency or have the ability to plan for long term retirement, but I know it could always be worse!

For example it took me approximately 20 minutes to write these couple of paragraphs... How sad is that.... DUH... But I'm not giving up.... You just going to have to learn to cope with me.... I've learned that a good attitude can over-come just about any situation. My wife (my savior) is wonderful loving / caring person and that alone forces me to be a better person in spite of my frustrations. How great is that and how fortunate am I? For ever negative in life, I truly believe there's a positive and thankfully she's mine!

Thank You for reading.
Gimpy (at least that's what she calls me)

LaRoza
September 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Feel sorry for you, I'm not dyslexic so I can't really understand what it's like...

I don't have it (in fact, I could be said to have the opposite...) but I have worked with someone with dyslexia. Teaching algebra and order of operations on what was (to me) a rather simple simplification and well within in her intelligence but she just couldn't do it no matter how I broke it down for her. She got really angry (at math, not me) and I was shocked. It wasn't until later she told me she had dyslexia... (I wish she told me first. I don't know how I could have changed my efforts, but at least I'd know). She just didn't see things the way I did. I could simplify the function in my head because it just fell into place, but she couldn't. Quite a frusterating disorder it seemed to be.

Tindytim
September 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
It's sad, but I don't have a problem with it. People should be able to say things like that openly without being judged. I understand not wanting to remember painful life experiences, but no one is actually asking you to 'compete'.

Well it's less painful and more of an annoyance. And , as I said previous, I don't believe anyone would ask me to do so. I just have things to do and don't have time to get somewhat depressed (although I may not).

Saint Angeles
September 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM
i just suffer from extreme coolism.

(i'm not trying to disrespect anybody... i tried to word this post in the most polite way i could)

billgoldberg
September 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Nope, no problems here.

Tindytim
September 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM
i just suffer from extreme coolism.

That's horrible!

A friend of mine died from it when he had a rather tough bout of awesomeness.

He roller bladed on his hands off a ramp over 23 flaming buses, while singing a round of 'row, row, row, your boat' and dividing by 0. He drowned when the heads of the entire crowd exploded in amazement.

Zyphrexi
September 7th, 2008, 02:43 AM
that's horrible!

A friend of mine died from it when he had a rather tough bout of awesomeness.

He roller bladed on his hands off a ramp over 23 flaming buses, while singing a round of 'row, row, row, your boat' and dividing by 0. He drowned when the heads of the entire crowd exploded in amazement.

rofl

EDIT: on a side note, it seems like disabilities effect quite a few people (those that voted =P)

here's a link to info about 'disorders'. Unfortunately I can't seem to find an actual DSM IV anywhere.

http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/dsm4TRclassification.htm

init1
September 7th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I wouldn't say that I do, but I know someone who's (mostly) deaf. He's a Linux user, actually :D

Tindytim
September 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Mostly?

LaRoza
September 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Mostly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deafness

cmay
September 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
i have to say yes to that question. i have a kidney disease.
i also had my eyes operated and i am retired from this.
besides that i know lots of people with disability or mental disorders.
in my personal life i do not know as many that has no disability or mental conditions as i know people that has. it started being natural that some people had medical conditions others had mental problems and i would know these people just as i would know people who dont in the age of fourteen.
i am getting to be way over 30 years old now and i have always known some people with some kind of handicap all my life. i was twenty when i got sick myself.

Lord DarkPat
September 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
One of my best friends has Polio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio), hip - to - leg is extremely weak. She topped her school in the grade 10 exams recently, one of the most intelligent people I know

unisol
September 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
yes i do. i have perpherial neuropathy and rheumatoid arthritis. tests were positive for both. but i manage.

Nostrafus
September 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I guess I do if we're going to count mental disorders, I got a few of those.

I've had OCD and PTSD since I can remember (First memories are horribly traumatic) which led me to develop APD, and DPD

Wiki's for each if you're not familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissocial_personality_disorder

Meh, nothing I can do to get rid of them.

OrbJinzo
September 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Does it affect your typing ability? you don't appear to make any more mistakes than the average person on this forum.

Yes it does when I type in long sessions.

frankleeee
September 9th, 2008, 02:53 AM
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/09/08/who-stigmatizes-mental-illness-most/

gletob
September 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
My cousin is Paralyzed from the waist down. She for some reason dived in to 4 foot water and bruised her spinal cord she has some feeling and can wiggle her toes and that's it.

bigbear2350
October 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have 2 disablitys well maybe 1

1.I have aspergers

2. I have a rare Genetic Disease call alpha 1 anti trypsin deficiency. Can cause premature emphysema at age 30 or so.

Ms_Angel_D
October 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I'm currently disabled and on the road to recovery, I have graves disease, which causes muscle deterioration, when it goes untreated. My Husband and I we're caught in the middle of Making to much money for assistance and not enough to get insurance for a while, it was during this time that I developed my graves disease, only didn't know it. Now I'm at the point where I can't stand for very long periods of time, or even do something as simple as shower without a shower stool to sit on. Thankfully we now have insurance, but it's going to take lot's of time and treatment to get me back on feet again.

My Father is a Vietnam Veteran and has suffered with PTSD for many years. So I would like to echo the sentiment that it very well is a disability I know how severely it can affect someones life the lives of those around them.

I was reading through this thread and to all those with disabilities who posted before me, I admire your strength and the courage it must take to live with and deal with whatever it is you may be going through.