PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install: " '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit" at boottime

mahy
September 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hello people!

I bought a brand new notebook Toshiba Satellite A300 just today and of course, not being satisfied with Vista, I went on to installing Ubuntu, just like I did many times already.

Unfortunately, my hopes evaporated pretty fast. I insterted Ubuntu 8.04 CD, chose to boot the live session, but after a few seconds, the following message appeared:

udevd_event[1581]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

Then it mentioned something about BusyBox, "ash" shell and initramfs. So I typed "poweroff<Enter>" and that was (so far) the end of the installation story.

My question: WTH is going on?? :confused: I never experienced such problem before. In fact, when I tried out Toshiba Satellite U400 (a very similar notebook) two days ago, everything went ok! Too bad I had to return that one, because the battery was faulty...

Alright, of course I used Google before posting this. All I found was to add the "all_generic_ide" boot option. As you can probably guess, it didn't help! ](*,)

That's why I'm asking you people to help me with issue in case you know anything more about it. I suppose it's some sort of a kernel bug caused by HW incompatibility, which is not quite my cup of tea...

THX for any advice.

mahy
September 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM
bump

abrahapr
September 22nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hi,

I'm getting virtually the same problem with my new Toshiba SatellitePro L300.

udevd-event[1531]:run_program sbin/modprobe abnormal exit

When I add all_generic_ide boot option it says:

(initramfs) [80.571312] Driver 'sr' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
[80.578030] sr0:scsi3-mmc drive: 62x/62x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[80.578075] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[80.578153] sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

Any ideas anybody?

trapula
October 14th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Hello, I have the same problem with L300 M17.

You'll complete the installation process if you disable LAN on-Board option in BIOS. But, then again, your system won't load if you turn it on later, so it's pointless.
The problems is related to a hardware check, it could be LAN-related but not necessarily.

redprag
October 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Did you find a solution? What have you done?
I have the same problem with an A300 too.

Pumalite
October 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
How much memory do you guys have?
Graphics?