PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just built a new system, how do I check to make sure all hardware is working?

SnowPunk98
September 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Dumb question, just built a new system and want to make sure everything is working and has a driver. Sound, ethernet, video, etc are working. Nothing fancy in the sytem. Motherboard, CPU, DVDRW, etc.

jolx
September 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
wat exactly do u want to check?

if the cpu wasnt working the computer wouldnt pass the POST

Bucky Ball
September 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
If you reboot and go to the recovery kernel (should be second on the boot list), that will have a check and if there is something stinky, should guide you through a fix or point you in the right direction. That is the quick and easy way, there are others.

Or, if things are working, just enjoy! If something breaks, you'll soon know about it and can post again. :)

iaculallad
September 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
What else could be the proper way to test a system than to boot your LiveCD from it, Install and play/explore from it.

SnowPunk98
September 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I guess what I am looking for is a Device Manager equivilent in Windows, either that or I need to let go of it and accept the fact that everything is working unlike Windows.

I have to say I am quite amazed, I pulled a 2.5" SATA drive from my Dell Insipron E1705 laptop and put it in this new system and booted it up with no problems, all I had to do was update my xorg.conf to use intel.

sloggerkhan
September 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM
gnome-device-manager will give you a hardware profile if that's what you're looking for.

Phoronix test suite from phoronix.com will do tons of benchmarks...

Bucky Ball
September 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
let go of it and accept the fact that everything is working unlike Windows.

Yup, I know. Hard to believe ain't it? Have fun and welcome to Linux and the forums. (As I said, if there are problems, just post 'em). :)

SnowPunk98
September 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks, there are some with ? but everything seems fine I guess.

jolx
September 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM
there is a program called hardinfo that soughta does that