PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to betray Ubuntu...

Limpan
September 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Why is it that every time I decide to try any other linux distribution I always feel that something is missing? Yesterday I installed openSUSE because it looks really nice and seems to be really good. First thought this morning was to download the Ubuntu 8.04 install, weird. I thought I would at least be able to try openSUSE until the end of october and the release of Ubuntu 8.10.

TheSlipstream
September 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Indeed, Ubuntu is one of the finest distros around. :)

easybake
September 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You could try Linux Mint. It's polished and based off Ubuntu so you probably wouldn't miss anything.

armageddon08
September 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
you could try linux mint. It's polished and based off ubuntu so you probably wouldn't miss anything.
+1

AndyCooll
September 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Or going in the other direction you could try Debian itself since Ubuntu is based on it. Indeed, IIRC Debian Lenny is due out this month.

:cool:

CrazyArcher
September 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM
+1

+2. Same, yet different distro.

chucky chuckaluck
September 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
i think if you find a distro you're happy with, changing is pointless. there are plenty of livecds you can try when you get bored. but, if there's something you're looking for, then you need to look until you find it. i wanted minimal from the start, so when i was finally confident enough, i switched to arch. i'm sure others have there little special needs that one distro, or another, is going to suit more.

EdThaSlayer
September 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I like how with the Ubuntu series is that you only need to remember one password.That one password makes it easier to choose 1 fancy non guessable one, instead of 2 regular ones with other distributions.

mips
September 5th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I like how with the Ubuntu series is that you only need to remember one password.That one password makes it easier to choose 1 fancy non guessable one, instead of 2 regular ones with other distributions.

Please elaborate, I don't understand what you are saying.

Metallion
September 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Please elaborate, I don't understand what you are saying.

I believe he means that in most distributions you need to choose a root password and a user password while in Ubuntu you just have your user password and sudo everything which needs root access.

mips
September 5th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I believe he means that in most distributions you need to choose a root password and a user password while in Ubuntu you just have your user password and sudo everything which needs root access.

Ah thanks. Sudo is available in for other distros though, it's not a 'feature' specific to Ubuntu.

t0p
September 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Or going in the other direction you could try Debian itself since Ubuntu is based on it. Indeed, IIRC Debian Lenny is due out this month.

:cool:

Yes... I was in a branch of WH Smiths the other day, flicking through the latest issue of one of the fine Linux magazines we get in the UK... the cover-mounted dvd had the Lenny release on it... and for a few minutes I mentally debated whether or not to buy the mag and install Debian on my desktop machine.

What finally made me decide against was the fact there was no Live CD. I'd have to do a full install just to try Lenny out. And I'm happy with ubuntu as it is. Nowadays I'm not as keen on trying out new distros as I used to be. The xandros that my eeepc came with is enough to satisfy any adventurous impulses that might come over me.

Limpan
September 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You guys have some good points. Maybe openSUSE isn't what I'm searching for. Maybe Ubuntu isn't the right one but it's definately closer. I have an Asus EEE 701 that's running Debian and I never feel the urge to change that one. I'll have to check out Linux Mint and Arch Linux sometime soon, in the meantime I'll go back to Ubuntu.

I feel that it's a pretty fine line between getting a polished, complete system and the feel that I have sufficient control. I also don't want to have late nights because some package got upgraded and messed up stuff.

Raffles10
September 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I know what you mean.

I've tried various live cd's and really liked Mandriva One Gnome & KDE versions. They were so polished and professional looking especially the KDE version which graphically looked excellent, but I still couldn't bring myself to install them over Ubuntu (Mint).

Even though Ubuntu still causes me the odd problem (cd burning always requires a reboot) I still feel happy with it, maybe because of the community and philosophy behind it which I would miss with another distro'.

Sporkman
September 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Why is it that every time I decide to try any other linux distribution I always feel that something is missing? Yesterday I installed openSUSE because it looks really nice and seems to be really good. First thought this morning was to download the Ubuntu 8.04 install, weird. I thought I would at least be able to try openSUSE until the end of october and the release of Ubuntu 8.10.

Other distros are fine to have flings with, but Ubuntu is the one you marry. :D

Sealbhach
September 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Other distros are fine to have flings with, but Ubuntu is the one you marry. :D

Very good.

I'm writing this on Slax 6.0 installed to my RAM. Once I hit the off-switch it's gone. Like it was never there.

It's not really infidelity, is it?

dizee
September 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM
i have yet to find a reason to leave (x)ubuntu.

tried out loads of live cds but i'm perfectly happy with my setup now.

Therion
September 6th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I could have written the OP... My transgression's, let me show them to you:

1. OpenSuSE (Happens to the best of us.)
2. PCLOS-Gnome (I admit, I was sucked-in by it's high-tech sparkle and manly-man GUI!)
3. Linux Mint (A low-point and, yes, my own personal shame...)

cardinals_fan
September 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM
This just goes to show how different everyone is. I hate that default behavior with the fiery passion of 10,000 suns.

RiceMonster
September 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Well, now I'm using Xubuntu again, reason being I need a windows partition on my computer, and I decided to take the easy way out and just install Xubuntu. I'll probably install Arch again when I have the time to do it. Right now I don't really.

But yeah, it seems like there's no reason to leave Ubuntu for you. It's probably just the right one (for you).

Muppeteer
September 6th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I switched to Archlinux a couple of weeks ago and haven't looked back. I might actually delete Ubuntu and put Suse or something on that drive :popcorn:

wolfen69
September 6th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I have an Asus EEE 701 that's running Debian

are you running stock Debian? or the DebianEeePC version?

Limpan
September 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
It's the DebianEeePC version. Installed, I compiled the MadWifi driver and it was pretty much it. I have an older laptop that used to run Ubuntu with Openbox so all I did was to transfer the Openbox config files.