PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Motherboard Suggestions

Z302IN
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I am building a computer for the first time. I want to dual boot windows and linux and mainly run in Linux for most of my computing. I have worked in Linux but never used it as a mainstay. I'm posting this in the Ubuntu forums because this is the distro I plan on running.

I was wondering what motherboards have good linux support? And which ones I should avoid.

I am looking at buying an Intel Quad core processor so that will limit the selections. I am looking for an above average mother board also price is not the biggest priority but support and functionality is.

If I should be providing anymore information please let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

As always thanks for any help you can provide.

Makrie
September 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi. I used to dual boot and now run Windows as a VMware session on a Linux base.

The motherboard I use is an Asus Commando. I'm not sure about motherboards and Linux support (I guess I've always assumed they're the part of the system that will just work!), but I can say that this motherboard has been fantastic!

FWIW, I'm running an overclocked quad core. I'd check the Asus website, perhaps. I don't think you need to worry about Linux support - just look for a motherboard that has the things you need in terms of what you want to plug into it and how you want it to behave - RAID, overclocking, whatever.

Cheers!

jacksaff
September 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I have a gigabyte p35ds3 and have no issues.
Generally you should have no problems with linux on a six month plus old board. New chipsets get supported right from the word go, but there are often audio, networking and other chips on new boards that cause problems as they come from smaller vendors who don't care about linux or don't have the resources to support it.
ASUS look a good bet at the moment as they are sticking a mini linux distro on many of their boards for rapid turn-on times. I assume this means they avoid using parts that linux doesn't work well with.

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I think Intel or Asus should be good. I prefer Intel though.

Dark Hornet
September 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Personally I would go with Intel...they have worked great with me in the past--and currently! I am running a Intel "Bad-Axe 2" Mobo right now, and its great....Good luck!

Darkhornet