PDA

View Full Version : Development Code Names

bonzodog
November 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I was just browsing the wiki, and found this document by Mark Shuttleworth;
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

It gives a list of possible code names for future releases and it appears you are allowed to add your own suggestions...

My favourite in there is 'Crazy Coyote'.

TravisNewman
November 16th, 2005, 08:28 PM
wow some of those are terrible ;)

uberlinux
November 16th, 2005, 08:40 PM
wow some of those are terrible ;)
not only terrible, but possibly the downfall of Ubuntu.
Ask any politician, image is everything.

curtis
November 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Eagle sounds quite good.
Not sure what adjective though.
Maybe electric...

Rackerz
November 16th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I love the Ubuntu names, you may say they are terrible but they catch your eye and i think thats the whole point if not one of them! It definately caught my eye!

Ampersand
November 17th, 2005, 12:12 AM
If you don't like them, just call them by their version numbers. (:

captainpotato
December 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
not only terrible, but possibly the downfall of Ubuntu.
Ask any politician, image is everything.

I agree - but surely when the next name is chosen, whoever is responsible (Mark? The Community Council? A general vote?) for choosing it will also spot the really bad choices.

Having looked through the list, I hope that the decision to follow the alphabet is scrapped, as some of the options after Dapper Drake aren't good - and some of the later options are cool.

Out of interest, how is it chosen?

GoombaDoolies
September 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM
This needs to be revived.

I thought of the names Precocious Pelikan or 'Mazing Meerkat. Maybe Testy Tapir, we have Breezy, Testy is easy to type and say (as an abbreviation).:cool:

JPMaximilian
December 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Those these release names don't follow any alphabetical order right? I was trying to figure out the pattern, but I guess there isn't any.

23meg
December 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM
Those these release names don't follow any alphabetical order right? I was trying to figure out the pattern, but I guess there isn't any.They have, since Dapper.

Dapper
Edgy
Feisty

JPMaximilian
December 1st, 2006, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I'm wondering if that is intentional and if they'll continue that pattern.

23meg
December 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I'm wondering if that is intentional and if they'll continue that pattern.It is intentional. From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth:

For all of our sanity we are going to try to keep these names alphabetical after Breezy. We might skip letters, and we'll have to wrap eventually. But the naming convention is here for a while longer, at least.

adam.tropics
December 1st, 2006, 08:13 AM
Would be kind of a nice touch if they'd let the community (as in this one!) vote on codenames for upcoming releases!

JPMaximilian
December 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
A vote would be sweet, I guess I should have read the page a little closer.

smoker
December 1st, 2006, 08:17 AM
hme, looks like randy rabbit is a possibility for the future, lol

adam.tropics
December 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM
hme, looks like randy rabbit is a possibility for the future, lol

There's actually a couple on there that I don't think you could actually post here because of some slightly dodgy 'alternative' meanings, depending where you come from!!

v8YKxgHe
December 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Can't wait until we get to S

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocioucy Swan.

steven8
December 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Gregarious Gnu, is my choice for G.

daynah
December 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I kinda like how they don't let us vote. I like surprises. On the day the name gets released, it's like some big christmas and all my friends IM me and say "I found out Ubuntu's name before you did!" And I snap my fingers and curse really loudly. They don't even use Ubuntu. They don't deserve to know before me.

But when I find out before them I'm pretty cocky about it.

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
as opposed to "gregarious GNU." Real GNU types aren't gregarious--they use only Free Software from solar-powered terminals atop high mountains and hand down fatwas occasionally to the wretched sinners in the valleys below.

JPMaximilian
December 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
as opposed to "gregarious GNU." Real GNU types aren't gregarious--they use only Free Software from solar-powered terminals atop high mountains and hand down fatwas occasionally to the wretched sinners in the valleys below.

It's often really cloudy in the mountains, I hope they have some sort of battery power storage system or a backup mountain stream hydroelectric generator. Of course during the winter these would be frozen shut. No power=No Fatwas.

KoRnholio
December 1st, 2006, 05:59 PM

G is already used. The core code (or trunk) is named 'Grumpy Groundhog', and has been since the beginning. Similarly, H has already been used, so Fiesty +1 would seemingly be I-based.

ZylGadis
December 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Erotic Emu.
Horny Hippo / Hamster.
Randy Rhino.

JPMaximilian
December 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Ubuntu Ubuntu is my choice for 'U' :p

Snargle
December 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM
I've got a few ideas:

Ubuntu 7.10, the Squishy Fishy!
Ubuntu 8.04, Willy the Wombat!
Ubuntu 8.10, the Patent-preventing Parakeet!
Ubuntu 9.04, the Jumpin' Janitor!