PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems in installing new operation systems

useright
September 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Hi,
I cannot install ubuntu(or any other operation system,including windows xp) properly. There is problem with my computer.

First, it cannot boot from CD before harddrive,even through CD is the primary boot at BIOS. I will have to press F8 and then select 'boot from CD' to get it boot from CD.

Second, as I try to solve the problem with 'qtparted' of Knoppix live CD, qtparted shows 'Status:busy' in the hard drive info of the 'ATA Maxtor 7H500F0' driver. No operations can be done on the drive including formatting.

I want to format it or best still retrieve some data from the hard driver. But cann't do it now.

Can anybody help?
thanks ahead,
Frank

Lateforgym
September 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM
You may want to pull out your PSU and test it. You might be getting just enough juice to just turn your system on, but any load causes power fluctuations more then what the computer is able to run on. Generally PSUs drop dead but some will flux on start up as that is when it get an initial load.

The easiest way to test this is get a PSU from a friend, or your IT guy at work and hook it up to your computer. The power connections should all be the same even though the box it self may not fit in all proprietary cases. (I assume you have a desktop).

Further, you still may be able to retrieve data from your HDD, if you cant put it in another computer or you can buy an powered USB HDD adapter. It the best computer investment Ive made. If my OS dies, so what, I just pop the drive and connect it through a USB to my laptop.

useright
September 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks. It is ok now after using ubuntu live dvd and the partition editor in it. but lost all my data,...

The new gadget looks cool. where to buy? at bestbuy?

Frank

Lateforgym
September 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I havent seen it at Best Buy. Micro Center has them. You can try other stores but make sure they understand you are looking for an sata/ide to USB 2.0 adapter. Most will confuse it with a HDD external case with a USB connection.