PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo IdeaPads

50words
September 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM
There is a whole thread devoted to ThinkPads, but to me, the IdeaPad line are a whole different kind of computers, and could be real Apple competitors. This thread is for IdeaPads.

What do you think about them? If you have them, do you like them? How do they work with Ubuntu or other distros?

Icehuck
September 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I don't own one, but I probably wouldn't buy one. They aren't too customizable as compared to Dell. Last I checked they also don't seem to have a "high end" version either. These machines are quite nice for general purpose, unfortunately not my purpose.

niko7865
September 5th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I want an S10, I wish they were back in stock!

50words
September 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I am pretty interested in the U330. Looks like a much more attractive alternative to the X310. The ridiculously-wide bevel on the ThinkPads drives me crazy. Plus, I don't really want a solid-state drive.

archer6
September 7th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I am pretty interested in the U330.
Here is what I purchased:
Lenovo IdeaPad U330 - 22672BU
Core 2 Duo P7310 2GHz
Windows Vista
13.3 WXGA Backlight TFT 1280x800
ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB
2GB PC3-8500 SDRAM 1066MHz
250GB 5400rpm HDD
DVD Recordable
Bluetooth v. 2.0 +EDR
Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100
6 cell Li-Ion batt
4.35 lbs
One Yr Warranty

Upon arrival, I took the next day off of work, so I would have an entire day to test it, be sure everything worked well, as the minute I was satisfied that all was well, my intention was to immediately wipe the drive and install Ubuntu 8.04 So, indeed the day after arrival, I set out to test it and put it through its paces. I was particularly happy to find that it compares quite favorably to a ThinkPad. And I have a decades worth of experience with ThinkPads to be able to form an accurate opinion rather quickly. After a few hours, I felt assured that all was well. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 from my CD.
At first boot, all went well, and upon using the computer I found my experience to be exactly the same as that of my ThinkPad T60. Everything worked perfectly! Not a single problem or anything to be sorted out. I cannot say enough good things about ThinkPads / IdeaPads & Ubuntu 8.04. If you want a really easy, fast, fun way to go, there is no better choice.

I Am The Single Most Enthusiastic Ubuntu Hardy Heron Advocate In LinuxLand ....:)

Cheers!

Icehuck
September 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM
The fact that the U330 has a 13 inch screen is a turn off.

50words
September 8th, 2008, 02:13 AM

It's a big plus for me. I buy notebooks for portability, and 13.3" is just the right size. You get a full-sized keyboard and enough screen real estate to get work done. (Plus, I have a 24" monitor on my desktop at work.)

I haul my laptops everywhere, so a sub-4 lb. computer small enough to tuck into any bag is perfect. It's lighter, thinner, and faster than a Macbook for about the same price.

archer6, What kind of battery life are you getting? Regardless, I think I'm sold. As soon as my T43 gives me another scare, I think I'm downsizing to the U330.

archer6
September 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I haul my laptops everywhere
I do too, every single day 24/7 I have a laptop with me. I'm hooked on WiFi....period.

At Starbucks, at home, my vacation home, my office, airports, and the hotels I stay at. Since I'm also the founder/CEO of my own company I stay connected and involved by choice, constantly. That's why sometimes you will notice some of the posting I do here is via my BlackBerry.

I'm addicted
I love mobility & Laptops
I'm sick
I love BlackBerrys (the device)
I'm a geek
I have more laptops than common sense
I'm a Ubuntu freak
Any Questions.............:)

However in my case at 6'3' and an ex UCLA football player, weight of a laptop is totally meaningless to me. I carry my 17" MacBookPro like it was the size and weight of my BlackBerry.
And I'm not bragging, it's just that a big lunk like me could care less about a pound or two.

And yet I have ThinkPads @ 12.1", 13.3", 14.1", 15.1" etc

If I was limited to just one computer, the U330 is a great 13.3" laptop.

A sweet spot as far as screen size in my opinion.
Battery life is fantastic, I'm not going to quote times as we both know it depends on usage, however I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's far superior to my 6 mo. old MacBook, my 3 mo. old MacBook Air, and anything else except another ThinkPad.

So 50words Please feel free to ask any other questions you have as I'm' sure you probably have more....

Cheers!

archer6
September 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I find it the sweet spot.... perfectly usable. Not too small, not too large.... Just Right....:)

50words
September 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
So 50words Please feel free to ask any other questions you have as I'm' sure you probably have more....

What is it, exactly, that you do that you require so many laptops? I think I want that job.

archer6
September 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
What is it, exactly, that you do that you require so many laptops? I think I want that job.
I am the founder and CEO of a large scale international software enterprise. In business for now 18 years, I have always had a serious interest in being able to work anywhere. By formal education, I have Dual Masters Degrees from MIT in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I found my passion, in portable computers, software, and hardware. Thus I've been fortunate to have the funding to support my Laptop / Cell Phone / Smart Phone and related devices habit. One area of particular interest is 3D design, animation, and some very specific scientific work. Having a great time management system in place allows me to pursue the acquisition, testing, and usage of nearly every brand and model of new laptop, as they are released. Having said that, and not being someone who is "married" to any brand or model, I am indeed very "PRO ThinkPad" as the depth of my experience with virtually all the rest, proves to me the significant engineering expertise, design work, and overall integrity of the ThinkPad Team. As far as the relatively new "Lenovo" takeover if you will, I have yet to form a comprehensive opinion. The reason being I do not "jump" to conclusions, and I lack the distinct nature of choosing to be negative, as most of society tends to do. My choice on the matter, is to be positive, observant, thoughtful, and base my opinion on real life experience with the product, as opposed to hearsay.

At the end of the day, I'm just a regular guy that happens to enjoy having a choice of which three laptops I'm going to take along that day. Typically it ends up being:

1) ThinkPad T60p Workstation (everyday)
2) ThinkPad of the day (for fun, whatever's new)
3) Newest Brand X (Sony, Apple, Hp, Dell, Acer, Asus, etc)

Driveways
November 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I guess I'm bumping an old thread here, but anyways:

archer6, my u330 should be arriving tomorrow, you said you've had a lot of success with the u330. Have you gotten switchable graphics working and if so, how?

archer6
November 4th, 2008, 02:28 AM
archer6, my u330 should be arriving tomorrow, you said you've had a lot of success with the u330. Have you gotten switchable graphics working and if so, how?
Actually that's the one aspect of the install that I have yet to sort out. Since it's not a super high priority I have not addressed it yet. I do plan on getting it sorted out, however I'm not sure when I will have time.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Cheers

Driveways
November 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the update, I'm writing this post on my u330 while my Intrepid CD is verifying.
It's a great laptop and hopefully there will be a switchable graphics solution sometime in the future. There's an option in the BIOS but it only lets you choose between 'Switchable Graphics' and the discrete card, so you can't even tell it to default to the integrated chip, which is unfortunate.

archer6
November 19th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Anyone out there in Ubuntu.Linux.Land have a Lenovo IdeaPad S10 that you've installed Ubuntu on?

Mine should be here next week, I'm planning on wiping XP off and installing 8.04.1. I'm looking for other users experiences and tips.

Thanks...:)

perminna
December 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my S10e (European "Education" version). Everything is working OOTB, even without installing updates. Wifi, SD reader (SDHC support), cam, audio (speakers and audio out), brightness adjusting with FN keys, volume adjusting with FN keys (with OSD), built-in Bluetooth. Am I forgetting something?

I have not tested LAN and built-in mic.

njr37
December 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Perminna, I've been googling S10e & Ubuntu & XP dual boot and found your link in twitter to a 'how to'... it looks really good but sadly I don't read Finnish! Are you, by any miracle, planning on doing an English version?!!

Dragonbite
December 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my S10e (European "Education" version). Everything is working OOTB, even without installing updates. Wifi, SD reader (SDHC support), cam, audio (speakers and audio out), brightness adjusting with FN keys, volume adjusting with FN keys (with OSD), built-in Bluetooth. Am I forgetting something?

I have not tested LAN and built-in mic.

Great to hear. I'd like the S10 but haven't heard how anybody else works on it.

Is it a SSD hard drive or a conventional spinning one?

archer6
December 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM

The S10 comes in two configurations

1) 512MB Ram, & 80GB Hitachi 5400 rpm hard drive
2) 1.0 GB & 160 " " " " " "

archer6
December 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Here is the exact description: Lenovo IdeaPad S10
Current price @ Lenovo .com $349.00

Processor: Intel ATOM Processor N270 Single Core ( 1.60GHz 533MHz 512KB )
Operating system: Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
Display type: 10.2 WSVGA AntiGlare TFT with integrated camera 1024x600
System graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Total memory: 512 MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz
Hard drive: 80GB 5400
Communication adapter: Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
Pointing device: Industry Standard Touchpad
Weight: 2.64 lbs
Battery: 3 Cell Lithium-Ion
Warranty: One year parts and labor (system battery: one year)

I am very impressed and quite satisfied with mine. It far exceeds the expectations I have for a netbook.

archer6
December 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I upgraded the ram on mine, and the hard drive. It's the easiest of the many laptop upgrades I've done over the years.

There is one large door on the bottom of the computer right in the middle, two screws and it comes off, giving you lots of easy access, and room to work.

With bottom door off, the empty memory slot is easily accessible, and the main slot below it has 512 soldered in. The hard drive is right next to it and obviously designed for very easy removal and replacement. I went to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 250GB 7200 rpm and it's really fast, quiet, cool and it the swap took less than an hour including partitioning (one data, one OS) and setting up my preferences.

Hope this helps. Questions?

Cheers

perminna
December 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Perminna, I've been googling S10e & Ubuntu & XP dual boot and found your link in twitter to a 'how to'... it looks really good but sadly I don't read Finnish! Are you, by any miracle, planning on doing an English version?!!

I can write the 'how to' in English. I try to do it during today, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll post it here, as well as in my blog.

I have European S10e ("education") version with conventional HDD which I'm planning to upgrade to 2.5" SSD in the future, but for now I'm happy with HDD. My configuration:
1.6 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM (I'm planning to upgrade RAM with 2 GB stick which I already have, but haven't had the time to install), 160 GB HDD (Western Digital 5400 rpm), Wifi (b/g), LAN, Bluetooth, 6 cell battery.

perminna
December 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I can write the 'how to' in English. I try to do it during today, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll post it here, as well as in my blog.

Windows XP & Ubuntu 8.10 dual boot instructions in English in my blog (http://www.thatsabsurd.net/2008/12/xp-and-ubuntu-dual-boot-s10e/).

njr37
December 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Perminna thank you so very much!! I'll try this out tomorrow. Thanks again!

larseko
December 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I just ordered S10/160G/1G, and all the reports here are very promising. Maybe I could get rid of that XP Home silliness.

I have one question, though. Have any of you people tried to connect the s10 to a projector/external monitor and have monitor switching working (I guess there's an fn hotkey for this)?

Dragonbite
December 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I just ordered S10/160G/1G, and all the reports here are very promising. Maybe I could get rid of that XP Home silliness.

That's one thing I'm grateful of; I don't see it as a loss to blow away the XP Home but I am slightly hesitant to get rid of XP Pro (as I use XP Pro with work and develop in .NET)

//yardo
December 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Looks like I'm getting a Lenovo Ideapad.

Reading the info here I'm sold. I was considering an Acer Aspire One. Think I might go with the Lenovo.

Anyone suggest one over the other?!?!

Thanks.

archer6
December 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Looks like I'm getting a Lenovo Ideapad.

Reading the info here I'm sold. I was considering an Acer Aspire One. Think I might go with the Lenovo.

Anyone suggest one over the other?!?!

Thanks.

I have both the Acer Aspire One, and the Lenovo IdeaPad S10. There is simply no contest. The Lenovo is so much better. The 10.2" LED back light screen is stellar. It makes the Aspires 8.9" screen look dim and a bit fuzzy (and I'm not bashing the Acer) But a side by side comparison is shocking. The Lenovo has a very strong keyboard that has no flex, just like my ThinkPad. The Acer's keyboard is tiny, whereas the keyboard on the Lenovo is typical of them, very comfortable and usable.

I had no idea how good the Lenovo would be until I got it. Ordered it direct, sight unseen (other than photos) from Lenovo and I could not be happier. It's quite, runs cool, not warm to hot like the Acer, and the web cam is stellar. Build quality is top notch as are the plastics used. This looks like a much more expensive laptop as opposed to a tiny netbook. I also have an MSI Wind, and the new 10" eeePC and none of these are as good as the IdeaPad S10. In fact I will have them sold in a week and plan to use the IdeaPad exclusively for my netbook needs.

Currently they are on sale for just $349 which is a good deal down from $399. Mine far exceeded my expectations. I've since sold the Acer and use the Lenovo far more than I did the Acer. I highly endorse the IdeaPad S10 (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=02695ADDF94544E5A11D24AEBC064493)

perminna
December 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I just tested IdeaPad S10e's VGA port. I connected S10e and Samsung 22" screen (1680x1050) with VGA cable and IdeaPad recognized the external display automatically.

Dual display offered only one resolution option (sucky 640x480), but extended desktop option allowed to set the reso separately for both screens.

Here's a photo of S10e and my 22" screen (in extended desktop mode):

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00545/3266349.jpg (http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=3266349.jpg)

I'm surprised that this was so easy. I expected at least minor problems. :P

Dragonbite
December 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
*drool*

So you can hook up an external monitor, usb Mouse and the keyboard is good enough to use it instead of having to plug in an external and you have a desktop you can unplug and lug around with you easily?

I think I'm falling in looooove!

Question for the IdeaPad and ThinkPad owners: I have a T61 for work and think the keyboard is better than the Dells I've fooled around with.

Since keyboards are something you can't just "swap out" (and external keyboards are not always practical) how does the IdeaPad S10 keyboard compare to the T61?

I like the solid, responsive, "clickitty-clack"~ness of the keyboard as well as the overall spacing and feel. Does the IdeaPad feel at all cramped, soft or "different"? I did read mention of the keyboard tray not flexing which is a definite plus (and I didn't understand until I started using the T61 and it doesn't flex).

archer6
December 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
*drool*

So you can hook up an external monitor, usb Mouse and the keyboard is good enough to use it instead of having to plug in an external and you have a desktop you can unplug and lug around with you easily?

I think I'm falling in looooove!

Question for the IdeaPad and ThinkPad owners: I have a T61 for work and think the keyboard is better than the Dells I've fooled around with.

Since keyboards are something you can't just "swap out" (and external keyboards are not always practical) how does the IdeaPad S10 keyboard compare to the T61?I like the solid, responsive, "clickitty-clack"~ness of the keyboard as well as the overall spacing and feel. Does the IdeaPad feel at all cramped, soft or "different"? I did read mention of the keyboard tray not flexing which is a definite plus (and I didn't understand until I started using the T61 and it doesn't flex).
The one key thought to keep in mind, is that the ThinkPad T61 is a "notebook" whereas the IdeaPad S10 is a "netbook" (not that you didn't already know that). Thus there is quite a size difference between the two. The ThinkPad has a full size keyboard, as there is room for one, the IdeaPad on the other hand does not have room, therefore it's keyboard is 85% of full size.

12.3" x 10.0" is the footprint of the 14" T61
9.8" x 7.2" is the footprint of the S10

However when I use my S10 I find the keyboard to be very solid. And when I'm mindful of the size and consciously make the effort adapt to the smaller keyboard it's easy. And I have large hands. The keyboard has a very high quality feel to the keys, but they are silent and do not "click" like a chicony keyboard as implemented on a T61. Key travel is approx the same, therefore it's an easy keyboard to use.

cmdtuvok
February 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, have couple of questions about lenovo u330.

Can you use Intel card on linux? I've been in the shop today and play for a minute with this laptop and've seen only 2 options in BIOS "Switchable graphics", "discrete graphics". And on switchable graphics, Ubuntu 8.10 didn't even got X up :(. On discrete graphics it worked.
But i want to be able to use integrated card. Is it possible?

2 question:
does hdmi work on linux? and do you have to be on ATI card for it to work? (i've read it somewhere)

coughlin
July 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, have couple of questions about lenovo u330.

Can you use Intel card on linux? I've been in the shop today and play for a minute with this laptop and've seen only 2 options in BIOS "Switchable graphics", "discrete graphics". And on switchable graphics, Ubuntu 8.10 didn't even got X up :(. On discrete graphics it worked.
But i want to be able to use integrated card. Is it possible?

On my U330 with 64 bit 9.04 Ubuntu, setting the BIOS to 'Switchable' precludes HDMI; so, I'm assuming that 'Switchable' defaults to the integrated video chipset, rather than the ATI HD-3400, which is used when setting BIOS to 'discrete' video.

btw, activating the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX" driver wrecks the video to the point of NO usable video on-screen. This required my re-installing 9.04, which seemed faster than trying to reverse the install via manual tinkering.

2 question:
does hdmi work on linux? and do you have to be on ATI card for it to work? (i've read it somewhere)

yes ... and yes, the 'discrete' ATI is necessary for HDMI to work an external monitor.

Ryan B
August 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM
btw, activating the "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX" driver wrecks the video to the point of NO usable video on-screen. This required my re-installing 9.04, which seemed faster than trying to reverse the install via manual tinkering.

Have you tried installing the updated ATI drivers from AMD? As suggested here? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7745429

I had trouble with dual screens on my U330, but this seemed to sort it out. Maybe it sorts out the Video problem too (but I have not tried it yet).

Also did you manage to get the webcam and mic working? I had a go but did not get very far. Good to see there are a few u330 ubuntu users to get some help.

m_ad
August 13th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Has anyone tried the Lenovo IdeaPad S12 - 295956U?

Processor
VIA Nano ULV 2250 ( 1.30GHz 800MHz 1MB )

Graphics
VIA Integrated graphics - Chrome9 HC3

Memory
1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz

Display
12.1 " WXGA TFT 1280x800

I want to buy this one, but I'm unsure of the VGA with Ubuntu.

Footer
August 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Processor

Graphics

Memory

Display
12.1 " WXGA TFT 1280x800

I want to buy this one, but I'm unsure of the VGA with Ubuntu.

I almost bought the 55U from the SPP site the other day ... It was $375 with tax, free shipping and then the next morning, they dropped it another $50! Then the deal got yanked a short while later.

So I think they're testing the market/price point. I'd probably snap one up at $325 even though I really don't 'need' a Lenovo netbook! I like the idea of the 12.1" display and full size keyboard (I'm not a thumb typist). But as far as netbooks go, $300 is about my price point.

:)

Dragonbite
August 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Has anybody, who has experience with Lenovo laptops/netbooks, tried System76? I am wondering how the quality and feel is comparatively to Lenovo's systems.

For example, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a Lenovo T61 for work and like the keyboard and a lot of the features. How is System76's compared to a Lenovo system (not compared to Dell or Acer or others, since those can vary widely but the Lenovo have been good on all I've tried so far).

decoherence
August 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have an S9e that I bought for a song... I really love it but was a little disappointed to see the "Quick Start" feature wasn't available on the SuSE version I bought.

Aside from that, the Express Card slot is great. The keyboard is pretty good (better than my old eeePC, but that's not hard, and it still has a stupid right shift key.) Multi-touch trackpad is nice, as is the card reader.

I guess it's not too thrilling but a nice step up from my eeePC 900 (yeah, I was one of them who bought at the wrong time.)

Access to RAM and hard drive is dead simple.

I might've got something else if this one wasn't such a deal, but it certainly doesn't feel cheap so I'm glad I got it.

50words
August 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Has anybody, who has experience with Lenovo laptops/netbooks, tried System76? I am wondering how the quality and feel is comparatively to Lenovo's systems.

I would be completely blown away if anyone actually tried to say System76 measured up to Lenovo. They look good compared to a cheap Best Buy laptop, but not compared to a Lenovo. I chucked my ThinkPad across the living room recently (dropped it, but it bounced off a few things), and it woke from sleep as if nothing had happened.

treesurf
August 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I just ordered an IdeaPad Y550 from the Lenovo website. They're on sale and a little googling turned up an extra 10% off coupon code so I got a pretty good deal on it. Looks like it'll be a great laptop, and should certainly blow away my old cheapie Gateway.

Footer
August 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've been doing some research on the processors offered for the S12 and the Via Nano has a 64-bit instruction set so I guess that means it will run 64-bit U(K)ubuntu? Anyone know what the performance difference would be between the Atom and the Nano running our fav. Linux distro???

Thanks!

ratdog
September 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hello!

I recently purchased an Ideapad Y550 and love it so far.

I am in the process of repartitioning to get rid of Vista and remove lenovo's hidden recovery partition and will install Ubuntu 9.04.

Does anyone know if there is a way to utilize the 'lenovo desktop navigator' slide bar with a dock? Also, is there a way to get lenovo's OKR recovery button to run a backup script or other function?

Thanks for any help you may send to this relative noob!

adampaetznick
September 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM

Processor

Graphics

Memory

Display
12.1 " WXGA TFT 1280x800I want to buy this one, but I'm unsure of the VGA with Ubuntu.

I just bought the 56U S12 with VIA Nano, etc a few days ago. Can't get the installer to display correctly. Just fuzzy lines scrolling down the screen (as you feared). Has anyone else tried the S12 56U and gotten it to work?

UPDATE:
Found a workaround for the installer display problem. See http://forum.ubuntu.ru/index.php?topic=66317.0
Its in Russian, but you can get google to translate.
(http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://forum.ubuntu.ru/index.php%3Ftopic%3D66317.0&ei=Nne5SpalFdqE8Qa1--yeDw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=8&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlenovo%2Bs12%2Bchrome9%2Bubuntu%26hl% 3Den%26rlz%3D1B5_____enUS335US335)

Ryan B
September 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
This really needs to be added to the Ideapad U330 info.

If you want to get use the intel graphics chip only someone has figured out how to do it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1242590&highlight=u330&page=2

I haven't tried it yet. I just got dual monitors to work nicely on my U330 with the latest ati Catalyst Control Center update 9.9 and am a bit uncertain how to reverse this kernel hack but anything to improve battery life is worthwhile.

R