PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yahoo Messenger in wine, uninstall problems

Indubitableness
September 5th, 2008, 04:09 AM
So I quickly learned that Yahoo Messenger is pretty far from being able to work in wine, but i had read that wine provided support for version 5.5.0 of Messenger.

I downloaded and installed Messenger 5.5.0 and discovered that it, too, does not work, but it also will not uninstall, at all, you can wait all night and it just won't remove even a single file, although the uninstaller runs just fine otherwise.

I simply deleted the files and folders involved, and I'm sure I need to modify the wine registry. After all this I still have yahoo in my applications menu (Applications->wine->yahoo) <-- both a director for yahoo and a yahoo ... shortcut?

I just migrated from windows vista (installed ubuntu 8.04 as a dual boot) and I'm so used to just being able to right click and delete such extraneous links and shortcuts, but all I get here is options to put the shortcut or directory on my desktop. If anyone can help me with the proper command line commands to get rid of these links I would be very grateful. I don't care if traces of the program remain on the computer, since it's so small, I just don't want to look at it every time i go to use wine.

Thanks