PDA

View Full Version : Podcasting from Ubuntu

dkitty
November 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Who else here uses a computer running Ubuntu Linux as the only or main production machine when creating a podcast?

What mic and/ or other equipment do you use?
What software do you use when recording?
What software do you use to edit?
What format (mp3, ogg, aac, et-cetera) are your podcasts, how many diffent formats do they go through to get to the end result, and what software do you use for encoding?

1. Mic and Equipment. The mic I use is a Dixon MD1151. It's a left-over from a punk band I played with in my early years of high school. I think they only cost about $30 but I love the thing. My Sony MDR-v600 headphones were a gift, thankfully, since they cost between $80 and $120 depending on the retailer. They're AMAZING headphones for voice-work though. I love 'em.

2. Recording. I used to use Sound Studio on the Mac a lot before Garage Band was released. I loved that software. So I was a very happy girl to stumble upon Audacity when I started testing a lot of the software in the apt-get repositories via Synaptic Package Manager. It has an interface that is very similar to Sound Studio. I record directly into Audacity, in one take if I can.

3. Editing. I also use Audacity to edit. Multiple tracks are a breeze if I want to add music or the like. Adjusting the volume of different bits to be the same is band-select-and-button-click easy. Audacity's noise gate comes in handy too. It seems like I learn some new way to improve the audio with almost every podcast I throw together.

4. Encoding. I save my initial recordings and edits as WAVs. The end product is converted to and distributed in MP3 format. I grabbed LAME from the multiverse apt-get repository. I could use GRIP's gui to encode, I guess, but I do it all via the command line... er... though I admit that almost every time I do so I have to type lame --help because I can't remember all the options (stereo, mono, bit-rates, et-cetera). I use LAME for all my encoding.

quietglow
January 27th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Hey dkitty, do you have a link to your feed?

I'm getting ready to get some university faculty set up for podcasting, and I think we too are going to use audacity. Like most other things, its so darn easy in Ubuntu! You're right, its so much like Sound Studio! Reminds me of OS 8 days!

macewan
January 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Odeo.com provides online recording to produce a podcast.

majikstreet
January 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM
ok - I don't really podcast, but I could if I wanted to... I have a pretty normal headset and stuff... I use audacity, and I can record from skype....