PDA

View Full Version : Reviews are out for Inspiron Mini 910. Ubuntu praised!

Mr. Picklesworth
September 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Yippee! The Dell Inspiron Mini 9 has been reviewed many times now. Each review has been very positive regarding the Ubuntu version, some even saying it is more responsive than the Windows XP version.

Via Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/04/dell-inspiron-mini-review-roundup/

I quite like how the reviewer at NotebookReview points out the software included in Ubuntu, unlike the usual case, being absolutely useful. (Not the redundant bloatware we see "conveniently" packed aboard computers). There are also many passing comments about Ubuntu being astoundingly easy to use. Normally I don't react much when I read that (given that it's the usual marketing speak), but this is from really good, unbiased reviewers for a product where Windows is presented as an equal choice.
It is said in many places that Ubuntu is good for multimedia, where one can choose to watch a video and have it "just work" instead of needing to hunt down codecs. That was impressive. (My guess is Dell sorted out restricted codecs for their release, making his experience even nicer than usual). "Just work" was quite a common term in these reviews.

I was rather annoyed, however, that the fellow at NotebookReview said installing applications in Ubuntu would be complicated for beginning users and involved strange terminal commands. (Anyone who uses "sudo dash" as an example of a strange terminal command is doing it wrong; the appropriate way to gain a sudo shell is sudo -i... or just not to do it). Someone needs to point him to Add / Remove Applications. Other reviewers seem to get it.

I'm quite impressed with Dell's little menu. I assume it's using Clutter, with some really smooth visual effects including a blurring / unblurring background. I think Canonical's is arguably superior when it comes to actually sifting through things (since it organizes stuff following the appropriate categories used by apps in /usr/share/applications), but I guess the simplicity of Dell's is important, too. It is like Asus's Eee interface, except better!

Maybe this will cause other netbook manufacturers to wake up and realize that selling Linux also involves choosing a good distro. Go Dell!

damis648
September 5th, 2008, 02:48 AM
This will be my next computer. ;-)

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 02:56 AM

I was on the Dell page ready to order, when I had an internal struggle and in the end, my education for the next few months won (I don't like being in debt)

damis648
September 5th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I was on the Dell page ready to order, when I had an internal struggle and in the end, my education for the next few months won (I don't like being in debt)

Yeah... debt is not fun.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Yeah... debt is not fun.

Luckily, I only have student loans. I pay off my credit card in full each month (never paid interest on that) and show a lot of restraint.

I bought a portable dvd player last week and that will satisfy my thirst for new gadgets for the next month or so.

By then, who knows, the Dell may be slightly cheaper.

kevin11951
September 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM
...preinstalled software (which includes Microsoft Works) are accommodated...

:shock: i guess he means open office? right?!

go to the 3rd link and scroll a little, you'll see it.

bsharp
September 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I'm thinking graduation present....(if I can wait that long :()

wolfen69
September 5th, 2008, 04:16 AM
i know, ubuntu is good.

jespdj
September 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Great, it looks even nicer than I thought it would.

Now I really want one. Unfortunately Dell is making the Netherlands wait for a few more months before they start selling it here... :(

Rocket2DMn
September 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
That's a sexy little machine, I would love to get my hands on one to fiddle with for a bit. A super mobile machine for a decent price, I think we might be seeing some users on the forums with these soon.

Ub1476
September 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Do this netbooks ship with a Linux OS manual? Just simple like how you install programs, how you launch, how you use advanced mode etc. I think that would be very helpful for users..

nandasunu
September 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I want to know if the wireless card can use open drivers, I hate messing with ndiswrapper etc.

Hilipatti
September 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I want to know if the wireless card can use open drivers, I hate messing with ndiswrapper etc.

I would think it will surely work, since they are shipping an official Ubuntu version..

billgoldberg
September 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I am not impressed by this.

Nor by any other mini notebook.

smartboyathome
September 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Now I am debating buying my EEE PC 901! This suits my needs better (I don't need a webcam, nor bluetooth), though it will have 4GBs less storage space. :(

Warpnow
September 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Only the eee 901/1000 have the battery life I would want out of a netbook.

mocoloco
September 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Do this netbooks ship with a Linux OS manual? Just simple like how you install programs, how you launch, how you use advanced mode etc. I think that would be very helpful for users..

Amen to that. As Mr. Picklesworth mentioned (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5729271&postcount=1), the notebookreview.com guy needed a bit of info before installing new apps, he must have downloaded some source tarball or something. The first page of the manual should say

Installing New Applications

Do not download new apps from all over the web, pretty much everything you need can be found in Add/Remove Applications
Do NOT download new apps from all over the web, pretty much everything you need can be found in Add/Remove Applications!
DO NOT DOWNLOAD NEW APPS FROM ALL OVER THE WEB, PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING YOU NEED CAN BE FOUND IN ADD/REMOVE APPLICATIONS!!

phrostbyte
September 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Keep in mind this is the netbook remix of Ubuntu, which is optimized for the unique hardware challenges netbooks pose.

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 03:19 AM
It is entirely possible that Add/Remove isn't in the Dell menu, though I can't say for sure.

Eviltechie
September 6th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I'd buy one, but my question is, is it a toy Ubuntu? Can I switch back to what I'm used to? Can I get to the terminal? Nobody seems to know that yet.

kevin11951
September 6th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I'd buy one, but my question is, is it a toy Ubuntu? Can I switch back to what I'm used to? Can I get to the terminal? Nobody seems to know that yet.

all question will be answered when one is finally sold.

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 03:49 AM

The laptopmag.com review clearly indicates that you can use it as normal Ubuntu.

init1
September 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah me too :D

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Me three.

ratmandall
September 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
me will not be 4

Ocyberbum
September 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
i couldn't wait so i ordered one !!! this morning

Warpnow
September 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM
If it had better battery life I'd probably have pre-ordered.

3 hours on a netbook is unacceptable.

Tinkerman
September 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hello everyone.
I ordered a Dell Mini 9 after watching, waiting, you know the routine. :)

So I "pre-ordered" and I should have it in my hands by (ugh) Oct 10.

512K Ram, 8gb SSD, Ubuntu... $399 shipped to Hawaii.

I've run Ubuntu and Kubuntu on a few laptops. I know what I'm getting in the Mini.

I'll be posting a page on my website for the Dell Mini 9 soon.
www.dinofab.com

I plan to have some hard-hack fun with this thing! It's a perfect microcontroller code writer/uploader/xtra CPU.

quinnten83
September 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Great, it looks even nicer than I thought it would.

Now I really want one. Unfortunately Dell is making the Netherlands wait for a few more months before they start selling it here... :(

And we will probably be paying €300 for it instread of $300.
I hate the economy right now.

Saint Angeles
September 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
i know, ubuntu is good.
i agree

(i'm sorry if any of you disagree with me. i don't want you guys to get the wrong idea. i'm trying to be polite when i say "i agree that ubuntu is good". i'm not trying to insult the people who don't agree with me)

t0p
September 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
AAARRGH!!! I just bought an eeepc last week!! That's me all spent out on computing equipment for months and months! Nooo!

I gotta install ubuntu on my lil eee.And I coulda got a lil dell with ubuntu already installed!! </distressed> :(

Mr. Picklesworth
September 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
If it had better battery life I'd probably have pre-ordered.

3 hours on a netbook is unacceptable.

Keep in mind that lots of reviewers are measuring battery life with 100% screen brightness. CNet says it's more like 4.5 hours.

It would be nice if Dell actually posted some information of their own about the computer. (And, while they're at it, the operating system).
As I understand it, their change is mainly a new desktop widget instead of Ubuntu Desktop Launcher (of Netbook Remix packages) and two pieces of Dell software - support and video chat. Ubuntu is still very much there, and the immediately visible changes are quite welcome / not smothered with "DELL".

mocoloco
September 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I find it funny that all these reviewers love the interfaces on netbooks that make "Linux easier to use". The default, non-dumbed down Ubuntu is still easier to use than XP, as far as finding and launching apps goes, which is the main UI change. I'm surprise Microsoft hasn't caught on and built a simplified shell to run on top of XP.

feranick
September 18th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I ordered one a couple of days ago (full spec). Estimated shipping Oct.22nd! Why is it taking so long? WinXP versions are shipping now, so it's not an hardware shortage. Are they still tweaking Ubuntu?

notwen
September 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Similar situation here, but not due to education costs. Hopefully before the end of the year I will have one of these. =]

Hoshnasi
September 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The delay on the linux loaded mini really bum me out. Mine is scheduled eo appear at my door on the Oct. 22 :(

EDIT to add: I ordered on 9/16, delivery is scheduled for 10/22. That is REALLY messed up. I emailed mini rant to Michael Dell about these delays