PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Absolutely Gutted by KDE4

tarun86
September 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I am gutted by the decision of KDE4 not to release packages of 4.1.1 for Gutsy ! I am trying to install amarok beta 2 which requires kdelibs4.1.1 and i was shocked to see no packages for it in any repositories for Gutsy. I dont have the patience to install it through source compilation but this is something I never expected. Till the time Ubuntu is hosting gutsy repos, this shouldnt have happened. If it had been a case that Ubuntu has stopped Gutsy support I could have understood this decision but since they do, this was utterly disappointing. I have been a dedicated user of Linux for past 4 years and this is something I never expected. I have a stable gutsy system and I have lots of codes which is working according to gutsy so dont want to upgrade to hardy and this came as a shock decision to me that I cant try my hands on the latest beta's of Amarok. I hope atleast Amarok and KDE have the sense of not leaving Gutsy public out of their users, if at all they thinking of doing so. If it happens I ll the first user to boycott Amarok & KDE !!!

I hope someone notices my pain ! \,,/:guitar:

pansz
September 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Hey, it's not the KDE4 guy's responsbility to do kubuntu packages. the upstream isn't responsable for any paticular distribution.

For the support, AFAIK ubuntu provides only "security updates", see there's no KDE4 for 7.04, should I blame for that? I'm using ubuntu 7.04 now.

Calmatory
September 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
So the support is gone, except for security updates?

irrdev
September 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
So the support is gone, except for security updates?
Not necessarily - Ubuntu/Canonical frequently do offer more than security updates for recent Ubuntu releases, although there is technically no obligation for them to do so. The KDE4 packages are a lot of work to maintain, however, so I'm not surprised that they are only available for Hardy. Not only that, the KDE4 packages are released by community members via Launchpad rather than by the Canonical developers. Really, upgrading your Gutsy installation is no big deal, and well worth the download IMO.

pansz
September 19th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I had recently upgrade my Ubuntu 7.04 to Ubuntu 7.10 and from 7.10 to 8.04.

It is much easier than I'd expected. Just type
sudo do-release-upgrade
and everything works after next reboot!

So I'd recommend the OP simply run sudo do-release-upgrade to upgrade to hardy.