PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Remove kde3 keep the kde4

hoo2
September 4th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm using kubuntu 8.04 and i have installed the kde3 version. But i also have installed the kde 4.1 to try the new desktop. Can i remove the kde3 version and keep the 4.1? After that is it possible to run some kde3 programs?

ursus262
September 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
My experience of KDE4.x is that it is quite buggy and unstable. In fact, you might find that, after some use, the menu system can be quite a pain to use.

My advice? I would keep both desktops for the time being.

Hope this helps

jacksaff
September 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
To run kde 3 programs some parts of kde3 will need to stay on your machine. Use a package manager like synaptic to remove programs you no longer want. It will make sure that the bits of kde3 that your remaining kde3 apps need won't be removed. There is no harm in having both at the same time though, except that it will use up a bit of harddrive space.

hoo2
September 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I've already remove any kde3 apps don't need. The think is that within kde 4 the application names are for ex kate and out of kde4 is kate-kde4. The real question is if i can some day switch to kde4 and the names will be regular and there is no kde3. Something like a normal upgrade from kde3 to kde4 :). I'm afraid that i have to install a clean kde4 version of kubuntu, so the repositories and all other thinks to be ok.

jacksaff
September 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
The name change will happen in the next release of kubuntu when kde4 will become the default. The current setup was done as a temporary measure so that we could have both kde3 and 4 at the same time for testing purposes while kde4 wasn't ready for full-time use.
When kde3 goes kde4 apps will lose their kde4 tags.

hoo2
September 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks jacksaff. I will be careful in the version upgrade. :)