PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu has 8 million users!

Mazza558
September 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/04/canonicals-ubuntu-linux-tops-8-million-users/

Based on apt updates I believe, so it's really 8 million ACTIVE users. People who actually use Ubuntu for day-to-day activities. That's not counting people who don't update automatically or have no web updates. 8 million people is enough to take over Switzerland.
Nice work everyone! :)

smoker
September 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
8 million for one distro, wonder how many millions all the other distros combined make up?

could maybe leave Switzerland alone, they make good clocks:-)

kdardio2415
September 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
8 million for one distro, wonder how many millions all the other distros combined make up?

could maybe leave Switzerland alone, they make good clocks:-)

And chocolate, don't forget the chocolate.

Slug71
September 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
And Chocolate!:)

LoL, got beaten to it.

Tindytim
September 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
We could take over a larger US city. Or one of the States with lower population Density (Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, The Dakotas, Nebraska).

clanky
September 4th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'd prefer Switzerland, much more civilised, and closer!

nowin4me
September 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/04/canonicals-ubuntu-linux-tops-8-million-users/

Based on apt updates I believe, so it's really 8 million ACTIVE users. People who actually use Ubuntu for day-to-day activities. That's not counting people who don't update automatically or have no web updates. 8 million people is enough to take over Switzerland.
Nice work everyone! :)

I haven't read the link yet because the link is slow because there is 8 million users looking at it.

:lolflag:

I will do thought at some point..... maybe tommowor...... when we have 10million users.........

:lolflag:

myusername
September 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
congratulations ubuntu! NO! I'd much rather live in a floating fortress in the sky!

Dr Small
September 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Your stasticis are wrong... it's:
7,999,999, because I don't use Ubuntu anymore.

Mazza558
September 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Your stasticis are wrong... it's:
7,999,999, because I don't use Ubuntu anymore.

Depends when it was done. If it was done yesterday or something, it'd still be over 8 million users.

Sealbhach
September 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Congratulations Ubuntu!

Onwards and upwards.

Tindytim
September 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I'd prefer Switzerland, much more civilised, and closer!

It wouldn't be permanent. We'd just use the resources, and forced cow labor to build our floating utopia in the sky.

myusername
September 4th, 2008, 11:26 PM
^^exactly^^

Daveski
September 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Congratulations Ubuntu!

Onwards and upwards.

I'm meeting more and more people in the real world who use Linux these days. Ubuntu is definitely attracting 'normal' people to try Linux.

toupeiro
September 5th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Truly a milestone. THANK YOU to all who contribute to ubuntu, making it the OS of choice to over 8 million people!

ronnielsen1
September 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Suse claimed an estimated 30 million in their ads.

lisati
September 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM

<sings>If you knew Suse, like I know Suse</sings>
8 million Ubuntu users isn't to be sneezed at. I haven't looked at the original link (yet) but I'm wondering how the compilers of the stats allowed for users with Ubuntu on multiple machines.

andamaru
September 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM
8 million + 1, I'm switching over to (k)Ubuntu in the morning :)

barbedsaber
September 5th, 2008, 06:14 AM
8million, thats like, a lot of people. but the best part is, its exponential.

Lod
September 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Based on apt updates I believe, so it's really 8 million ACTIVE users. But not 8 million distinct users. I for one have 2 Ubuntu machines, a colleague of mine has 3.
And when you're using Ubuntu you're probably a nerd who has more than 1 computer anyway :)

Liviu-Theodor
September 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I wonder if the 8 millions include also the ones using unofficial or localized versions of ubuntu. If no, there are even more!

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM

30 million active users? How did they figure that number?

Lod
September 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
30 million active users? How did they figure that number?It has a contract with Microsoft, so they probably will be able to come up with any number they want.

andamaru
September 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Suse estimated 30 million LINUX users not Suse alone.

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtp5gNhBZgo

t0p
September 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Suse estimated 30 million LINUX users not Suse alone.

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtp5gNhBZgo

I have a desktop machine that runs ubuntu and an eeepc that runs xandros. So I'm 2 people.

Then, when a version of ubuntu is released that's more eee-compatible, I'll switch the lil notebook over to the "more human" distro. That'll make me 3 people!

And what about the users who dual-boot a couple of distros? Or who run multiple linuxes on virtual machines? Or who have both gnome and kde on their boxen? Jeez Louise, how few are we??? ;)

BigSilly
September 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Eight million Ubuntu users? That's absolutely fantastic. There's a long way to go, but from this position the only way is up for Ubuntu and Linux in general.

I'm really pleased at this news. I think the way they've chosen to get the figure is pretty honest and a fair reflection of day-to-day use. Way to go Ubuntu!

:guitar:

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
It may tell from IPs rather than simply the number of updates on a certain day.

andamaru
September 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I have a desktop machine that runs ubuntu and an eeepc that runs xandros. So I'm 2 people.

Then, when a version of ubuntu is released that's more eee-compatible, I'll switch the lil notebook over to the "more human" distro. That'll make me 3 people!

And what about the users who dual-boot a couple of distros? Or who run multiple linuxes on virtual machines? Or who have both gnome and kde on their boxen? Jeez Louise, how few are we??? ;)

I don't know anything more than what was said in the video. You need to contact Novell.

corney91
September 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
but the best part is, its exponential.

Assuming ceteris paribus, yes:)

Zyphrexi
September 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
users or installations? (or livecds for that matter)

wth, are they looking around /home? are they counting /root?
businesses? home users?

Mazza558
September 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
users or installations? (or livecds for that matter)

wth, are they looking around /home? are they counting /root?
businesses? home users?

Apt updates based on unique IPs. So if you have a network of Ubuntu PCs, they count as one.

Sealbhach
September 5th, 2008, 11:27 PM
You could say it's 8 million active Ubuntu installs (assuming many Ubuntu users have more than one box).

Tindytim
September 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
You could say it's 8 million active Ubuntu installs (assuming many Ubuntu users have more than one box).

Read the post above yours. Now the only issue is the multiple users on a single machine (do they still exist?).

Mazza558
September 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Read the post above yours. Now the only issue is the multiple users on a single machine (do they still exist?).

That would be the opposite; apt only counts one external IP. Unless each user had his/her own seperate external IP, then a single machine is a single machine.

Tindytim
September 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
That would be the opposite; apt only counts one external IP. Unless each user had his/her own seperate external IP, then a single machine is a single machine.

I think you misunderstand what I meant. If you are actually counting 8 million users and not machines, then you would need to know how many people are using a single machine.

Faolan84
September 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
This is "freaking sweet" in the words of Peter Griffin. Congrats to us! I know I've done my share of Ubuntu installs and if I can another job here shortly I can get some more dough to expand my little side business of installing and supporting Ubuntu and OpenSuSE for college students. I also do file and Windows fsck-up recovery which is how I convert a lot of users over. The "no viri" and 60 day satisfaction guarantee / 90 day service guarantee is really convincing too. Never have I had a disappointed customer and only once have I ever had some one come back (damaged hard drive which I fixed).

Ubuntu just works, so you know we're doing something right.

Chianti
September 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
My opinion is that numbers are only for those who care about them...

What I see is that more and more people in non-linux-specialized forums use Ubuntu. Some friends, mainstream PC users, also switched to Ubuntu. Something is changing... :)

Chame_Wizard
September 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Kubuntu rocks

KIAaze
September 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
According to http://counter.li.org/, that means 28% of GNU/Linux users use Ubuntu! (8 million out of an estimated 29 million)

If you haven't done so yet, go sign up on http://counter.li.org/ to get more reliable numbers. :)

edit: and there's also the Ubuntu counter: http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/