PDA

View Full Version : Of operating systems and web browsers.

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I doubt anyone here has failed to notice the stir Chrome has caused.

It prime advantage is its multi-threaded-ness, making it a bit more like a virtual machine controller than any other browser. I think we all agree this ads a robustness to it that no current competing browser can claim.

Now to my main point: What if Chrome is really a Windows-killer?

"But, Windows in an OS."

Uh huh. But have a look at what Google has to offer via the web: E-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, document sharing, calendars, chat, etc. etc.

So, take Chrome, add a bootloader and a network stack...

Am I crazy, or what? :)

meborc
September 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM

yes you are :D ... you NEED windows to run it

:lolflag:

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM

:lolflag:Sorry if I'm missing a joke here, but:
You don't. My point being that you just need to add a few things to it to make it something of a browser-cum-operating system. Tabs for tasks, bookmarks and that neat little favorites/recent page replacing the "desktop", web apps replacing locally installed apps...

FuturePilot
September 4th, 2008, 07:58 PM
web apps replacing locally installed apps...

I would hate that. I rather prefer my locally installed apps. They're much faster and more robust than anything any web app has to offer. I do not like web apps.

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I would hate that. I rather prefer my locally installed apps. They're much faster and more robust than anything any web app has to offer. I do not like web apps.Well, yeah. I know quite a few folks who dislike web apps. I'm one of them in fact.

I'm talking about something for the general public, though, who would need the difference explained to them - and who probably just wouldn't much care as long as it did the job.

LaRoza
September 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
It could be coupled with a light Linux distro for a rather good netbook I think.

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
It could be coupled with a light Linux distro for a rather good netbook I think.Yus. That would be the fastest way to go about making what I have in mind. (And what I wonder if Google may have in mind.)

FuturePilot
September 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well, yeah. I know quite a few folks who dislike web apps. I'm one of them in fact.

I'm talking about something for the general public, though, who would need the difference explained to them - and who probably just wouldn't much care as long as it did the job.

Well in that case then yeah, that would be an interesting idea.:)

hessiess
September 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
You would neaver be able to produce a effishent 3D app, for example, that runs from the web. mathamaticly complex programs run faster compiled to native, as the cpu dousent have to spend cycles inderpriting/ dynamic recompileing code.

as far as web apps go, I don't trust anyone besides myself with important data.

LaRoza
September 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yus. That would be the fastest way to go about making what I have in mind. (And what I wonder if Google may have in mind.)

Hm...

Google could do that easily I think. Over a light system (or use an existing one) with a barebones (GUI of course) Linux with an entire google apps setup. It would be one unified netbook with a rather complete set of apps.

snowpine
September 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Splashtop + Google Apps + Netbook = Hooray!

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
You would neaver be able to produce a effishent 3D app, for example, that runs from the web. mathamaticly complex programs run faster compiled to native, as the cpu dousent have to spend cycles inderpriting/ dynamic recompileing code.Yus, what I have in mind would not suit other than the average user. (Assuming the average user perfers thier game console over thier computer for most 3D games.)

as far as web apps go, I don't trust anyone besides myself with important data.You preacheth to the choir. But I get the idea most folks dont' much care, or believe they've no reason to worry.

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hm...

Google could do that easily I think. Over a light system (or use an existing one) with a barebones (GUI of course) Linux with an entire google apps setup. It would be one unified netbook with a rather complete set of apps.Exactly.

meborc
September 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry if I'm missing a joke here, but:
You don't. My point being that you just need to add a few things to it to make it something of a browser-cum-operating system. Tabs for tasks, bookmarks and that neat little favorites/recent page replacing the "desktop", web apps replacing locally installed apps...

well, it was a joke :)

i was taking chrome as it is now... if you coupled it with linux... well... then you would just have another OS... just with very few programs... anyone could do it right now... ubuntu server + X + firefox...

i still don't know what is the difference in using google apps in chrome vs firefox... i don't think there is much difference, the difference is in multithreading etc

david_lynch
September 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM

:lolflag:
Hmm - so how do you explain the mac and linux versions of chrome?

meborc
September 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hmm - so how do you explain the mac and linux versions of chrome?

there are no versions for linux and mac yet... that was the whole joke... :)

smoker
September 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Yus. That would be the fastest way to go about making what I have in mind. (And what I wonder if Google may have in mind.)

this seems to be a browser that loads straight from bios:
http://www.splashtop.com/how_splashtop_works.php

doesn't need windows to load, or anyother os, i would think!

god0fgod
September 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
What is the point?

meborc
September 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
What is the point?

i guess the point is that you don't need an OS... you just need internet and a browser...

clanky
September 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM
So what will run the graphics, the internet connection and the browser?

meborc
September 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
So what will run the graphics, the internet connection and the browser?

a very VERY slim OS :D

it all comes down to what you define as OS

... i would never use it though

/never say never :)

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
well, it was a joke :)Oops! :oops:

i was taking chrome as it is now... if you coupled it with linux... well... then you would just have another OS... just with very few programs... anyone could do it right now... ubuntu server + X + firefox...

i still don't know what is the difference in using google apps in chrome vs firefox... i don't think there is much difference, the difference is in multithreading etcIt's the multithreading that makes it robust enough to put in the hands of Joe Average. It prevents one web app from taking down all the others. Joe Average should never have to see the checkered background of a windowless X session, because Joe Average would be very put out by a computer suddenly seeming so useless. :)

karellen
September 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
i guess the point is that you don't need an OS... you just need internet and a browser...

obviously, they don't run on the bare bone hardware. so the real OS is mandatory

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
What is the point?I am wondering if Google is thinking about creating a market for themselves:

Inexpensive computer systems sold with the Google Chrome brand next to the OEM's brand. Always up-to-date, no further expenses for software (well, save for pay-as-you go things and other stuff of that sort), so simple that you never have to fuss with OS problems...

clanky
September 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
a very VERY slim OS :D

it all comes down to what you define as OS

... i would never use it though

/never say never :)

As I see it you would get a very slim system, but the OS itself would still have to operate the PC, just because you made all the applications web-based you would still need the same hardware and the same drivers so the OS itself couldn't really be slimmed down.

smoker
September 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM
this has been around for a while, which is basically linux+browser, and not much else
http://cl33n.com/

god0fgod
September 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM

It depends on what you want to do. Would annyone really jsut want to do web browsing? As for Web apps, they aren't anything compared to proper programs.

This jsut sounds rather pointless and everyone needs a fully featured operating system surely. Especially if it's free.

init1
September 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would hate that. I rather prefer my locally installed apps. They're much faster and more robust than anything any web app has to offer. I do not like web apps.
For me it's the reliability. I don't like the idea that if a site goes down for maintenance, I can't access my data.

this has been around for a while, which is basically linux+browser, and not much else
http://cl33n.com/
The problem with cl33n is that it is incredibly bloated. 106MB for a web browser OS? Way too much. SliTaz is only about 25MB, and it's a lot more than just a browser.

I think that a Chrome OS would be useful, but only as a Live CD or Live USB.

joninkrakow
September 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Interesting conversation, and definitely a valid objection....

but....

You all are forgetting Google Gears!

Google Gears FAQ (http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=69197&topic=11629)

The whole point of Gears is to take your online apps offline. Now, add these to Chrome (which, isn't that the name given to Mozilla UI widgets?), and add Chrome to a bare-bones, Splashtop-like OS, and waddya got? Hm...

-Jon

clanky
September 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM
The whole point of Gears is to take your online apps offline. Now, add these to Chrome (which, isn't that the name given to Mozilla UI widgets?), and add Chrome to a bare-bones, Splashtop-like OS, and waddya got? Hm...

-Jon

A system which will only be usable while the website / web service / router etc. are all working, as good as it would be when it was working, it is too reliant on too many outside influences for my liking.

tdrusk
September 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking it's all going to come together when Google release a hand-held device similar to the iPhone.

linuxguymarshall
September 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I doubt anyone here has failed to notice the stir Chrome has caused.

It prime advantage is its multi-threaded-ness, making it a bit more like a virtual machine controller than any other browser. I think we all agree this ads a robustness to it that no current competing browser can claim.

Now to my main point: What if Chrome is really a Windows-killer?

"But, Windows in an OS."

Uh huh. But have a look at what Google has to offer via the web: E-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, document sharing, calendars, chat, etc. etc.

So, take Chrome, add a bootloader and a network stack...

I run Chrome on Linux just fine....

JillSwift
September 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Woo! I'm not the only one who thinks this is possible. =^_^=

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/google/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210500375

zmjjmz
September 7th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I see the usefulness being the fast bootup time
Splashtop + Chrome would be good, with a small 2GB builtin SSD to keep settings intact.
You wouldn't necessarily be dependent on a connection with Gears.

carml
July 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
i would hate that. I rather prefer my locally installed apps. They're much faster and more robust than anything any web app has to offer. I do not like web apps.

+1