PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie install/Update nightmare!

fuzzbuzz85
September 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi, I'm super new to Ubuntu and linux, and I'm having the following problems:

1 - Used to run a copy of Windows that I accidentally tried to update, and basically the OS stopped working, so I took the opportunity to switch to Linux (rescuing my files with Knoppix and putting them safely away on an external HD)

2 - I installed 7.10, although it didn't seem to install fully as I had lots of problem with getting the wireless going, and when 8.04 came out it wouldn't show the updates. So, since I hadn't replaced my files I just figured I'd do a fresh install. Then I got all the errno 5 messages which are mentioned on other messages, even though I've tried a variety of discs, mirrors, burned them at a low speed and so on.

3 - SO, I try to install 7.10, which throws the errno5 problem even though I had previously installed from that disc. I try the text based installer for 8.04, which throws an error on the install part, and I even tried the mini-installer, to no avail.

4 - Next, I have gone back to Feisty Fawn, intending to update to Gutsy then to Heron. Fawn installed ok, but now with the 211 updates I'm getting the following problems:

-- each time I try to install the updates I get errors, which have so far been:
Occasion 1:
E:/var/cache/apt/archives/openssl-blacklist_0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.7.04.2_all.deb: short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/openssl-blacklist/blacklist.RSA-2048')

Occasion 2:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-common_2.2.0-1ubuntu6_all.deb: corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-core_2.2.0-1ubuntu6_i386.deb: corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive

-- Each time I try again there are fewer packages to install, but it told me that I have a varying number of broken dependencies each time (!)

So here's my system specs which I got with sudo lshw, but tell me if you need to know anything else - I'm not sure what's useful!

-core
description: Motherboard
product: 8363/A-686A
physical id: 0
slot: BANK_3

*-cpu
description: CPU
product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 20
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1GB
capacity: 2GB

partitioned:dos
configuration: mode=udma5 smart=on
*-volume:0
description: Linux filesystem partition
physical id: 1
bus info: ide@0.0,1
logical name: /dev/hda1
capacity: 147GB
capabilities: primary bootable
*-volume:1
description: Extended partition
physical id: 2
bus info: ide@0.0,2
logical name: /dev/hda2
size: 1474MB
capacity: 1474MB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/hda5
capacity: 1474MB
capabilities: nofs
*-disk:1
description: ATA Disk
product: FUJITSU MPE3204AT
vendor: Fujitsu
bus info: ide@0.1
logical name: /dev/hdb
version: ED-03-04
serial: 05023683
size: 19GB
capacity: 19GB
capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm apm partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: apm=off smart=on
*-volume:0
description: Linux filesystem partition
bus info: ide@0.1,1
logical name: /dev/hdb1
capacity: 18GB
capabilities: primary
*-volume:1
description: Extended partition
physical id: 2
bus info: ide@0.1,2
logical name: /dev/hdb2
size: 855MB
capacity: 855MB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/hdb5
capacity: 854MB
capabilities: nofs
*-ide:1
description: IDE Channel 1
bus info: ide@1
logical name: ide1
clock: 33MHz
*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B
bus info: ide@1.0
logical name: /dev/hdc
version: A102
serial: K3246394029
capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba iordy pm audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: mode=udma2
*-disc
logical name: /dev/hdc

So here are my questions:

Why does ubuntu loathe my computer?!
Why am I having so many problems upgrading?
Is there something wrong with the way my disks are partitioned? This time I used the entire master disk (the 160G), but I've tried a gazillion different ways of partitioning both of them.
Help!

Thanks!

Peter09
September 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I suspect that you have a hardware error mixed up in there somewhere. Are all the errors being generated from reading the CD drive?

slaminsamin
September 5th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Hi; first of all, congratulations on getting rid of windows; blame all your problems on some vestige of that.

Peter09 suggested you may have a hardware problem in there. Were there any signs of hardware problems before? Could your windows problem have been a hardware problem in disguise? Not knowing your circumstances you may want to employ a cd startup disk and run some hardware diagnostic packages as a first step. You can do this off the live cd.

If you eliminate hardware problems then you may be looking at some vestige of previous installs which may be stumping the installer. Since you are able to "start over" (ie all files off on ext disk) why don't you try a disk reformat and clean install from the live cd. Let the installer do the partioning. If that works then problem solved. You can always go back and re-partition or re-install with manual partitioning once you've eliminated vestige files or disk errors.

Out of curiosity, what do you gain from installing back releases of Ubuntu? 8.04 is LTS. Why not start there?

LOLuck

Sef
September 5th, 2008, 03:32 AM
When you run the Live CD, do you have any problems?

Partyboi2
September 5th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Occasion 1:
E:/var/cache/apt/archives/openssl-blacklist_0.3.3+0.4-0ubuntu0.7.04.2_all.deb: short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/openssl-blacklist/blacklist.RSA-2048')

Occasion 2:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-common_2.2.0-1ubuntu6_all.deb: corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-core_2.2.0-1ubuntu6_i386.deb: corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal)
and try

sudo apt-get clean
then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

slaminsamin
September 5th, 2008, 05:39 AM
null

fuzzbuzz85
September 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi guys,

first of all a massive thank you for your replies, they're really helpful and it's great to get some support! I am definitely glad to see the back of windows, even if this is taking ages to get going! Feisty is now letting me upgrade to Gutsy, so we'll see how it goes. I've never had any hardware problems before, and I definitely think the windows problem was due to an upgrade from the internet. I like the theory that these problems have been caused by so many attempted upgrades and installs, so if this step-wise upgrade to Hardy doesn't work I'll definitely try the format-and-start-over idea, after checking my hardware. So basically I'll have another bash and let you know how I get on! Thanks again!

PS: Got the back releases idea from another post from the errno5 thread. I started all this before Hardy was released, which is why I started with Gutsy, then went back to Feisty because that was the only one which would install without failing! Really hope the errno5 thing is sorted for the next release... and that I'll be on Hardy by then so I can just do a lovely update without a fresh install!

fuzzbuzz85
September 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Right, since I last messaged I tried the following:

Upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy this time didn't work, with a load of errors coming up when I tried the upgrade part.

In the live CD I tested the hardware, which appeared to be fine, and I also ran memtest86+, in which everything passed, so does that mean my RAM is ok?

Anyway, I deleted all the partitions on my hard drives using gparted, and then tried to install from the live CD (which is an official one I bought, so it really *should* be ok!), then I got errno5.... AGAIN!

So my question now is: What else can I attempt? I really want to get this sorted because it's been going on far too long and I've got to actually use my computer for my course!

(I've already attempted: live cd; upgrading from a previous distro; alternative install; mini install)

Cheers x

fuzzbuzz85
September 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I forgot to mention: I haven't had any problems with the live cd at all, and I've checked them all!

x

fuzzbuzz85
September 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hey,

I finally solved this problem by

- wiping the hdd
- making the smaller hdd the master
- making sure all of the cables were properly plugged in
- trying again

... not sure which of those steps worked, but I'm finally off the live cd and have managed to install!

Woohoo! Thanks for your suggestions

x

Peter09
September 24th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Congratulations

Well done