PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub Error 22 after reinstall

spy604
September 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hello,

I am a linux newb and decided to give it a go. dual booted xp and 7.10, everything went fine. upgraded to 8.04 and it ran worse than 7.10 (may be my fault by messig with stuff, ati drivers etc), so i decided to do a reinstall of 7.10. install went smooth but on reboot I get a grub error 22, no menu at all...

any suggestions on where to start? I'm at work right now so I'll have to try it when I get home.

Bazirker
September 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I just screwed up my system too, same error...I dual boot XP and Ubuntu 8.04, and XP died on me and required a reinstall, so I did, and it screwed up my MBR. I pulled out my live cd, reinstalled grub, and while grub appears to work and recognizes everything the way it should, I get error 22 when I try to boot Ubuntu. Error 22 tells me that the partition doesn't exist, although the partition is definetly still there when I take a look at my hard drive using my gparted live cd.

Halp? spy604, if I figure out how to fix it, I'll post back here and let you know.

spy604
September 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
thanks, my problem is that i dont even get a grub menu, so i cant even get into windows right now. of course theres always the live cd, and my wife's laptop, its more of an annoyance really.

caljohnsmith
September 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
From the Live CD, please post the output of:

sudo fdisk -lu
Find which is your Ubuntu partition in the form "sdaX" from the above command, mount it, and then print the menu.lst:

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
cat /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst

Also post the output of:

sudo grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
That should give us a good place to start to figure out your Grub problem. :)

Bazirker
September 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I don't know about that error, I just fixed mine (tell you about that in a sec), but try reinstalling grub as per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows. Maybe that will fix your error.

I just fixed my error 22. I had to boot my machine, and once grub opened, select my Ubuntu install and edit it but typing 'e'. Once in the edit mode, I edited the line containing the location of the partition on my drive...in my case, I changed (hd0,3) to (hd0,2). It was a guess and check, and I got lucky first try.

EDIT: You have to edit the grub file to make this change permanent... something like sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and then change the (hd0,x) entry there and save.

Hope this helps :)

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM
You can try using SuperGRUB to repair it > supergrub.forjamari.linex.org

notanxious
September 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Kudos to Bazirker. I had been struggling with this error for a while. I two had to use the 'e' option to edit the boot from (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). Funny that super grub couldn't automatically fix this issue.

THanks again