PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Somebody help, Ubuntu upgrade is killing me

emmanuelonas
September 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
:confused:
Right, I don't know what is the next step to take, I have got a dedicated server off fasthost (ubuntu 6). I have just upgraded to ubuntu 8.04 and I can't get any thing to work, I get this message below, can somebody help or give advice I have combed the internet for a solution.

* Restarting web server apache2 apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
httpd (no pid file) not running
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

emmanuelonas
September 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I am still waiting to see if any one have come across this problem, and have any solution..........

baruch60610
September 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I've run into this several times. The problem arises when you've got a Web server running, and another one tries to start. The sockets are already taken, so the second server fails.

Check your running processes to see whether you've already got an Apache server running

ps aux | grep apache2

If you do, then you know that you're trying to run a second instance of Apache. That probably means that when you did the upgrade, Apache got installed a second time and two versions are both trying to run. You'll need to track down what's running your first (older) version, and remove it.

I'm sorry that I don't remember how I actually tracked it down, but at least this should give you a start. To test my theory, you might try:

sudo killall apache2

sudo apache2ctl restart

And then see whether you've got the correct version running. If you do, and if it works, then your problem is to find out where in the boot process your older Apache gets started, remove that, and remove the older Apache installation.

Hope that helps.

emmanuelonas
September 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you for that, you are correct, I was upgrading the server from 6 to 8, and I think the old version of apache was still running, so it seems like there are 2, I have already tried to stop it, but it seems like it still running, i did this below:

sudo killall apache2
apache2: no process killed

I also did this
ps aux | grep apache2
root 5309 0.0 0.0 3004 752 pts/1 R+ 15:06 0:00 grep apache2

But I still can't find the apache2 service running and that is just killing me.

emmanuelonas
September 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Still tryingn, been on this for like 3 days now, still can't find the way out, any one?

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
What are your system specs?

emmanuelonas
September 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well just had a look, its a 2.13G Chache intel Core 2 Duo Processor with 1Gig ram.

I don't know if that should make any difference, as I have already installed ubunut 8 on my local server, but my dedicated server has issue with me upgrading