PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 / Drivers / Updates

williewinner
September 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
As being new to Linux (a disappointed Windows VISTA user) I found the following open issues on my

Laptop ACER Aspire 5920 with 4 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD (Intel Core Duo)

1. I lack the drivers to my two scanners (CanoScan LIDE 90 and IRIScan portable Scanner)

2. I am remembered that I have 271 updates to install but when I open the appropriate window and click on install, the system "hangs" indefinitely and I have to restart my laptop.

3. I cannot get my sound system to work. Whatever kind of sound possibilities I click on (includes the "automatic search") there is no sound. On XP or VISTA this is not a problem.

Can someone help? I would really like to switch to LINUX but if I can't get the system to work properly I probably would have to switch back to WINDOWS.

Thanks a lot for anyones help.

SpicyPanda
September 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
try searching for your Scanner drivers in synaptic. simply get the brand of the scanner and search "brand drivers" it should come up with something.

As for the sound, it's most likely that you have an Intel HD Audio sound card inside that laptop. This is a major pain for most users I have incounterd (such as myself). It fixed itself when updating to 8.04. For me anyway.