PDA

View Full Version : Does Solid State Drive computer makes less noise?

jeyaganesh
September 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Does solid state drive computer make less noise? Or, does graphic card is the one that make so much noise?

TheSlipstream
September 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Solid state has no moving parts, hence no spinning platter, so no noise. SSD really isn't an alternative right now though, seriously expensive and low storage, although blindingly fast. It's mainly fans that'll create noise anyway, so yes, your GPU (assuming it has a fan, most good ones do) will create noise. It is possible to buy mainly "silent" components, but again, not cheap.

jeyaganesh
September 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Yes I have Nvidia 8600, it makes lot of noise. I heard that SSD in Mac Air is slower than Mac Books. SSD in other lappies also slow?

ice60
September 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Yes I have Nvidia 8600, it makes lot of noise. I heard that SSD in Mac Air is slower than Mac Books. SSD in other lappies also slow?
i've never used a computer with a ssd, but i bet they are faster, how is it slow on the mac air? is that really true?

mrsteveman1
September 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Flash can be much faster than platter drives if striping is used across multiple chips, but they don't always do that, esp when only 1-2 chips are in use (like on EeePC).

The main things that make noise in a system are the cpu fan and hard drive unless you have case fans, in which case they are usually louder.

Sycron
September 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I have SSD on my eeepc and is a bit fast than IDE ... not 400% , or 200% , just 40-50%. But it's faster.

mips
September 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Does solid state drive computer make less noise? Or, does graphic card is the one that make so much noise?

SSD makes no noise.
Anything that uses fans will make a noise. Best to replace them with lower noise versions or go for fanless heatsinks or liquid cooling.
Hard drives also make a noise but not that much except mabe for the 10-15k rpm versions.
Accoustic damping material can also reduce the noise made by components in a computer.

KillerSponge
September 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
An SSD is (in theory) completely silent, because there are no moving parts. But most of the time, it isn't the harddrive that is making the most audible noise.

When I built my pc, I put a lot of effort in making it as silent as possible. At the moment, I only have three (inaudible) fans, and the only noise I can hear is the low humming of the harddrive. So, as soon as they are a bit less pricy (with that I mean around 100 euro for 128GB), I am buying one :)

And SSD's are about as fast as normal HDD's in day to day use. They both have their strong and weak points (SSD's have better access times, while conventional HDD's (most of the time) have a better transfer rate). But in everyday use, you probably won't notice the difference.

mips
September 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM
When I built my pc, I put a lot of effort in making it as silent as possible. At the moment, I only have three (inaudible) fans,

Could you please elaborate on the brands and models you are using?

Npl
September 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
actually, cheap SSD-Drives are alot slower in everyday use than HDDs, they have decent read-speed, low latency, but writes are very slow.

Oh, and of course no SSD HDD makes any noise.

KillerSponge
September 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Could you please elaborate on the brands and models you are using?

Sure. I have two 120mm case fans (one intake, one outtake), from Nexus, the "RealSilent" ones. My power supply is an Enermax MODUE82+ 525 Watt, with an 120mm fan. My cpu (a C2D E8400) is passively cooled by a Scythe Ninja-mini (without the fan). My GPU (Geforce 8800GT) is passively cooled by an Arctic-Cooling Accelero S1 (also without fan). The power supply also has it's own airflow (intake from underneath the case, outtake on the back). I also have a big-tower (Coolermaster Cosmos 1000), with a lot of cable management, which helps the airflow. :)

I can highly recommend all these parts, maybe except the case, which resonates a little to much for my tastes.

mips
September 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Sure. I have two 120mm case fans (one intake, one outtake), from Nexus, the "RealSilent" ones. My power supply is an Enermax MODUE82+ 525 Watt, with an 120mm fan. My cpu (a C2D E8400) is passively cooled by a Scythe Ninja-mini (without the fan). My GPU (Geforce 8800GT) is passively cooled by an Arctic-Cooling Accelero S1 (also without fan). The power supply also has it's own airflow (intake from underneath the case, outtake on the back). I also have a big-tower (Coolermaster Cosmos 1000), with a lot of cable management, which helps the airflow. :)

I can highly recommend all these parts, maybe except the case, which resonates a little to much for my tastes.

Thanks, I will look into those. The noisiest thing in my PC is the case 120mm case fan which I actually swapped out this morning for a quiter one from another case. What temps are your cpu & gpu running at?

For the resonance have you had a look at http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustipack.asp
I use the precut kit on my Antec Sonata case.

c2olen
September 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've recently acquired an 64GB OCZ SSD disk for no more than € 220,- (and prices are dropping as fast as the drive's speed).
I've been running it in my Ubuntu laptop for a month now. battery lifetime increased at least 20 minutes, sometimes even 30 (depending on usage of course). It's extremely quiet, but that's actually quite obvious of course.

The improvements in speed are significant, but not during boot time though. But once it has booted, I just can't keep up with it... :-)

KillerSponge
September 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks, I will look into those. The noisiest thing in my PC is the case 120mm case fan which I actually swapped out this morning for a quiter one from another case. What temps are your cpu & gpu running at?

For the resonance have you had a look at http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustipack.asp
I use the precut kit on my Antec Sonata case.

My CPU idles at about 45C, and when stressed goes up to about 50C. My GPU idles at 55C, and goes up to about 70C under load. Not the best temps, but well under their thresholds, and everything runs very stable, so I prefer the silence :)

And my case already has dampening material on the inside. That's why I'm a bit disappointed in it: I'd hoped it would be quieter. But the resonance mainly comes from the HD, and as I'm currently building a server which will be holding all my data, an SSD wil do nicely (in the future, when I can afford it ^_^), and I will finally have my completely silent pc :grin:

mips
September 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
My CPU idles at about 45C, and when stressed goes up to about 50C. My GPU idles at 55C, and goes up to about 70C under load. Not the best temps, but well under their thresholds, and everything runs very stable, so I prefer the silence :)

Sounds ok to me.

Unfortunately for me all the products you mentioned don't seem to be available where I live. I have however mailed the companies to see if there is some hope.

I looked at the www.silentpcreview.com (http://www.silentpcreview.com) site and those products are top notch.

Enjoy the silence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGxOUezyCms)!

KillerSponge
September 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I know, that is where I did most of my research ;)

Actually getting the products was indeed quite difficult, and I had to mail a few stores to ask specifically for them, but it was worth it :) Hope you are able to get them as well, good luck!