PDA

View Full Version : [other] Loading a bootable ISO from a USB drive

Lyall M
September 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hi, I'm trying to use my shiny new Ubuntu installation to repair a stuffed Windows XP installation on an eeepc. This is not directly about installing Ubuntu, but I'm sure some of the knowledgeable people here will know what to do.

Briefly: I have a bootable recovery DVD I need to copy to an external USB hard drive so that the USB drive boots just like the DVD would. Formatting the drive to do this is perfectly acceptable.

The long story: I have a Windows XP EeePC 901 which got completely munched up by a virus. Can't log in, even in safe mode. It shipped with a recovery DVD which, among other things, has ghost images to restore the two solid state drives inside the EeePC. Unfortunately, the EeePC has no optical drive so I can't actually boot off the recovery DVD. I do however have my Ubuntu desktop with a DVD drive and a USB 2.0 external HD which the Eeepc WILL boot from. I just don't know how to make it boot an image of the recovery DVD.

Any ideas on how to do this would be much appreciated. I've played with GRUB a bit, but I can't figure out how to make it boot a non-linux OS which wasn't properly installed onto the drive in the first place. The objective is to run Ghost, which requires a Win32 environment. I understand there is also a DOS version of Ghost which will work with the images I have, so booting a linux environment which can run win32 or DOS programs may also solve my problems.

Thanks in advance for your consideration, and sorry if I'm too off topic. I know my problem isn't quite right for this forum, but this does seem like where I would find someone with the knowledge to help me.

Lyall