PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the Ubuntu store figure out shipping and billing?

yekibud
September 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Can someone tell my why the Ubuntu store (Canonical, I guess) can't figure out how to ship to a different address other than the billing address? This is a pretty basic e-Commerce feature, and very important for people wanting to send gifts.

I don't know how much kick-back the community gets from online store purchases, but this is typically the way I give donations to organizations I want to support. It's a shame that I can't donate in this way. But it's even more frustrating because Ubuntu is a tech community, and its store is lacking basic e-Commerce features.

(I asked the store this question, but they didn't reply to my e-mail.)

eragon100
September 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
A totally different problem with the ubuntu store: the software section only consists of 3 programs right now! Oracle database server, fluendo legal mp3 etc. codecs, and parallels desktop. Only the last one may be bought by any sane desktop user, so why call it a software section?

It should be easy enough to add nero linux, staroffice and lightroom to it for starters, as well as some commercial games: savage 2, eschalon book 1, penny arcade adventures, both penumbra overture games, the download version of ballistics, etc. All of these games (and a lot more, probably) don't need cd's to be shipped, so it wouldn't require the principles of the shop ("NOTICE TO USERS: WE DO NOT SHIP CD'S FROM THIS STORE, WE ONLY PROVIDE LICENSE KEYS.") to change either. Then, it would look like a real software section, and the store would make a muck more proffessional impression.

Bachstelze
September 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I guess Canonical will welcome both your suggestions. You can send mail to them you know, I'm pretty sure they do read it ;)