PDA

View Full Version : What instrument do you play?

Skimbleshanks
September 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Is there a group for music makers (as opposed to people who are content just to listen) here? and if not, would you be interested in joining one?
It took me long enough, but I am now a die-hard fan of abc notation thanks to some of the superb freeware applications for generating conventional scores, so have amassed a huge library of music which I am willing to share with anybody who might be interested.

Me: recorders, piano, classical guitar
You: ?

cardinals_fan
September 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Clarinet. And I have a chair audition at lunch today...

*runs off to practice*

jespdj
September 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Guitar. There's a loooong thread here: Hey! Guitar players, let's chat. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=246089).

Have a look at the Multimedia Production (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=335) forum here, where people frequently discuss audio production / music programs.

swoll1980
September 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Six string

anotherdisciple
September 3rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I mainly play guitar, I'm good at bass, and I dabble in drums... but I'm not so special when it comes to drums.

JillSwift
September 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Whistle. You know, purse your lips and exhale.

I've tried other instruments, and I received a letter from the International Association of Musicians politely asking me to stop making the dogs howl. ;)

Bachstelze
September 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Used to drum, before **** happened ;)

bobbocanfly
September 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Used to play guitar a lot, but now play drums alot more than guitar. Very tempted to get a Gameboy and a tracker and make some awesome Chiptune music though...

kpatz
September 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
My instrument has a Linux kernel, a USB port, an Ethernet port, and a couple Firewire ports to boot. I threw in 1 GB of RAM for sampling as well.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/MotifXS6-large.jpg

I have a few other synths too, but I'll post those later.

kirsis
September 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
*raises hand*
Piano guy here

Also mess around with a guitar (classical) sometimes but less seriously.

Also have a few diatonic harmonicas.

bashveank
September 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm proficient in Piano and Violin, I can play guitar if need be.

fluteflute
September 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Guess from my username! ;)

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Guitar

I also play (but not nearaly s much) bass, piano/keys and drums.

snova
September 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I started taking piano lessons about six years ago. Everybody told me I was great, but I got tired of it (too much of a good thing) at least a year or so ago. I hardly play anymore.

I've attempted the clarinet and guitar, but clarinets make horrible noises and guitar strings hurt my fingers. They were both short lived.

Still, every now and then when nobody is home I sit down and play... and I haven't lost too much from such a long break. I might restart lessons sometime.

But I wish I had an organ! With two keyboards and a row of pedals; a real organ. Bach's toccata just doesn't sound the same on a piano.

Either that, or I need a third hand. (Which is food for thought. If we had four arms, where would the extras go? What kind of keyboards would we type on? Would we have a base 20 number system?)

Methuselah
September 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Piano.

Too Late
September 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I started to play piano when I was about three years old (my mom is a teacher).

Now I've played classical guitar about ten months. I'm focusing on Leo Brouwer's works quite seriously. El Decameron Negro, Sonata and, of course, Estudios Sencillos are quite well "under control", but there are so many songs I'd like to learn. Unfortunately I don't have any recording equipment yet.

CrazyArcher
September 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
I play bass, unfortunately less than I used to. I also have a classic guitar and can imitate playing, if need arises ;)

Nepherte
September 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Clarinet.

Yes
September 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Percussion in the school concert band, Snare in marching band.

Xzallion
September 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Violin, Guitar, Bass. I'm not particularly good with any of them, but I enjoy messing with them.

porchrat
September 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Guitar and harmonica

If I had said "banjo and harmonica" I would be SUCH a hillbilly

init1
September 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Clarinet. And I have a chair audition at lunch today...

*runs off to practice*
Yeah me too. Don't play it anymore, but I was second chair in middle school :D

Daggo
September 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Classical Guitar
Electric Bass
Electric Guitar Rythm/2nd guitar

cardinals_fan
September 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah me too. Don't play it anymore, but I was second chair in middle school :D
I only picked it up again recently, and my high school symphonic band has a good clarinet section, so I'll be near the bottom for now. Next year, on the other hand... :)

MidsummerDreams
September 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Among a few things I've owned (but have passed) are the Roland Fantom workstation and AN200 Drum+Synth loop factory, loved the resonating analog sounds it emitted.

I used to play electric guitar a'bit but since I like to create music instead of play others, I lean towards the piano/synth side as I have more flexibility in not sounding like everything else.

Sadly, I'm lazy. I get into something for a few months and then lose either interest and/or time. It's been hard for me to find the perfect mixture of software/hardware that completely sucks me in without feeling like it's intensive labor.

I find it odd that the most talented piano players have zero creativity. Maybe that's not entirely true but my cousin can play tons of songs that would take me months to learn yet he has no creative vision on making anything up himself. I'll never understand why or how that works, either.

cmay
September 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
guitar. song harmonica. a bit bamjo 4 string and bass . have got a whistle i would like to learn to play. drums i am not good at unless its my irish handdrum.

OutOfReach
September 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Piano/Keyboard, the Recorder, and guitar (but I have almost completely forgotten how to play it...)

Skimbleshanks
September 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM
It's very encouraging to see what a musical lot Ubuntu users seem to be. So, with reference to the second question that I asked (or was it the first? I forget!)
Is there a group here for us vagabonds and wastrels? or should we form one?
The Ubuntones? anyone?

ChanServ
September 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
guitar, not very well though :|

Speed Demon
September 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Me? I own a recorder... lost the end to it though... its in my closet somewhere. Right now I am in school band and play Alto Saxophone and one day I want to play acoustic guitar. Did I mention that I have a PC keyboard I use as an Instrument? Yes... Frets On Fire turns my keyboard into a guitar. Ill be finding a USB guitar touse soon though.

PS I also own a Casio Electric Keyboard... I suck at it though lol.

semitone36
September 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I played the bass clarinet in middle school but i couldnt find the time to practice mainly because I just didnt care. Kids...

But I never really lost my musical spirit. Guitar Hero turned me on to playing a real guitar (a Schecter C1+) and last month marked the 1 year anniversary for my hobby. With the help of Guitar Pro (and since linux, Tuxguitar) I got really good really fast.

Unfortunately with the discovery of Ubuntu came yet another passion in my life and I have a hard time finding the time to practice my old Schecter anymore.

lisati
September 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Recorder, piano; and have tried clarinet, trombone & bagpipes (!)

Dr Small
September 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Piano, Harmonica, and Psaltry

klange
September 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Trombone, keyboard, harmonica, theremin.

I'm also damn good at whistling.

Skimbleshanks
October 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM
Wow! Ubuntu users really are the most amazing people. A psaltery and a theremin player among our members!

doas777
October 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
My heart is with percussion. I gave it up some years ago, but I would really like to have a kit to bang on again.

Dr Small
October 1st, 2008, 03:05 AM
Wow! Ubuntu users really are the most amazing people. A psaltery and a theremin player among our members!
Yes, you didn't realize that we had other talents beside computing, did you ? :D

steveneddy
July 2nd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Just guitar and a little bass.

Blues, Rock, Jazz, Country - whatever pays the bills

sandyd
July 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Is there a group for music makers (as opposed to people who are content just to listen) here? and if not, would you be interested in joining one?
It took me long enough, but I am now a die-hard fan of abc notation thanks to some of the superb freeware applications for generating conventional scores, so have amassed a huge library of music which I am willing to share with anybody who might be interested.

Me: recorders, piano, classical guitar
You: ?

electric guitar. vocals. drums. im only proficient in three things in school and life. 1. music 2. technology 3. being a real anoying person. (I would have said dumping boyfriends, but thats not nice!). btw, who necromanced?

JDShu
July 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM
Necromancer is such an overpowered class in D2.

Piano, Clarinet, and Guitar. I'm decent at piano and guitar, but not having played clarinet in such a long time, my breathing techniques are weak nowadays.

steveneddy
July 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
electric guitar. vocals. drums. im only proficient in three things in school and life. 1. music 2. technology 3. being a real anoying person. (I would have said dumping boyfriends, but thats not nice!). btw, who necromanced?

I had no idea you were a musician, carlee.

btw, who necromanced?

I think I did - don't make it sound so dirty.

donkyhotay
July 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
I used to play the tuba back in high school.

steveneddy
July 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I used to play the tuba back in high school.

Oompa, Oompa, Oompa, Oompa

Zoot7
July 2nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Mandolin, Banjo, Keyboard, Piano, Bass, but the one I'm most competent on is the Guitar. These days is mainly a 7 string I use for the rhythm and a 6 string kitted with a Floyd Rose for the lead.

bigsmitty64
July 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
Most proficient to worst:

Guitar
Drums
Bass
Mandolin
Harmonica
Banjo
Ukulele
and about 3 chords on a keyboard :)

cj.surrusco
July 3rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
Drums are by far my best, I've been playing since I was 9. And I'm still trying to self-teach myself keyboard and guitar.