PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to back-out updates installed by Update Manager

convert_mrta
September 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
I have not had a problem so far, but want to be prepared.

I've been blithely (blindly?) installing all updates recommended by Update Manager. Now should my machine abruptly go south after an update, I would reasonably suspect one of the updates. So I would want to back-out the last batch, get stable again, and then investigate.

How can I determine what was included in the last batch, and individually back each out until I reach the apparent troublemaker?

No flames, please, but if I was still using Windows, I'd go into add/remove programs, filter for updates, sorting by date and be able to see what my last installed updates were -- and back each out.

How do I do the same in Ubuntu?

Thanks much! BTW, I'm dual booting Vista / Ubuntu 8.04 now, but haven't booted Vista in about 3 weeks. Well on my way, folks! :)

Partyboi2
September 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM
You can view what updates where installed by looking at your /var/log/apt/term.log

gksudo gedit /var/log/apt/term.log

The idea for a update undo feature has been suggested at ubuntu brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6267/)