PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sending roaming email

jpgoossen
September 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
HI,

Been thinking about this issue for a while. I have Hardy installed on a Dell D620. Works like a charm. I want to make this my main notebook, which I will also be using for travel. Abroad and within the country.

This means that I will want to be using Evolution (or T-bird for that matter) as an email client. That works, kind of...

I prefer to use my own email domain for email. That way I will never be dependent on whatever the provider supplies as email domain. This makes it easier to change ISPs and it makes my email look a bit more personal that using your generic Joe12345678@gmail.com.

Anyway, I can receive email through Evolution (I prefer IMAP for my mail, but POP works too). Sending email works as well, although it requires me to set a fixed SMTP server. Which works, as long as I am connected to the network of that particular ISP.

However, whenever I am on the road, this fails since usually whatever SMTP server I had set will not allow any email relay once you are outside of their network.

What I am looking for is a way to be able to send email through Evolution, from my regular email accounts, where ever I am.

I know I can just rely on the Web mail that comes with my email address, but would prefer Evolution.

Any tips or pointers how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick