PDA

View Full Version : Poor cat... will he survive ?

Pages : [1] 2

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Two days ago I've found a cat when walking on the bike. It has no maxilar. He cannot eat,drink. It's very sad. I went with him to a vet and the medic give it the "anti-infection" treatment (or how it's named).

It is very sad what happened to him. I'll show some pictures, they're not clear but it's what i have.

Let's hope that everything goes fine and the cat would be like the others.

frup
September 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Am I correct in seeing it as an American history X mouth against the curb kind of injury?

I voted no because if it can't eat, unless you're very dedicated it will starve. On of our two cats died recently. It was 9. The other, which I have had since I was 5 is ~18. Both were/are so sick/old that they annoying. Every morning between the hours of 4 am and 6.30 all I hear while trying to be comatose is MEEEEEEOOOWWWWW.

I will need a while before I am fond of cats again.

Npl
September 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
The cat looks exactly like the darling of my little sister (the type of cat, he`s healthy thankfully). I wish the best for that poor thing, but realistically I think he wont make it or his entire life will be troublesome.

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
If his well hydrated then he may be will. A syringe filled with water and milk to feed him, he may well make it. He will need lots of love and care.

Also white fish when he is better is easy to digest mixed with white rice.

I would try and feed him water and milk through a syringe. Little and often.

The vet may be able to put on a drip to hydrate him, if necessary. M animals have been on a drip in the past to hydrate them

Often cats recover from serious injuries with no ill effects whatsoever.So don't let that put you off. If he can recover my guess is so long as you watch his food he should be fine.

Yes I am animal mad I have always had cats and dogs. I too rescue stray cats.

Helen

clanky
September 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM

I have done this in the past for injured cats and it has worked, if you can get a syringe with a long thin end piece which will fit well into its mouth without the main body of the syringe pushing agaisnt the injured mouth.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM

I'm doing this right now. But i think is not enough. The cat is deshidrated. I can fell this in his skin.

The vet told me that today will hidrate and feed him. I'm worried about his mouth it is almost destroyed. Very very bad.

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Milk will be too rich on its own but has lots of nutrients and water has no nutrients but will hydrate. So I would do a mixture of about half milk and half water in a Syringe gently little and often. Cats also generally like milk so it will make it pleasant for the poorly cat.

Let us know what happens.

Helen

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
The other thing you could try is liquidizing fish and rice or chicken and rice into a thin soup with milk and water. Chicken is as good as fish.

So long as you try to keep the cat hydrated the vet can then rebuild its mouth.

I found a stray cat with a completely shattered leg, when I was walking my dog, in why bad shape its was hydrated and operated on the cat lived until 16 years old. The vet offered to put the cat down we refused once it was hydrated and operated on it never had any more problems.

If you are worried go back to the vet and ask if its possible to have a drip also called intravenous fluids to hydrate the cat and give it nutrients.

Do let us know what happens.

Helen

Lod
September 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
If the not eating and drinking is permanent it will not survive obviously. You might prolong his life for a while but it will cost you a considerable amount of time, patience and money. And if the vet succeeds in reconstructing the mandible in some way will the cat be able to live a 'normal' life?

You might ask yourself why you do this, for the cat's sake or your own? If you really love animals sometimes it's better to put it out of his misery than to keep it alive to all costs, even a prolonged suffering of the animal. That's why I ended my future veterinary career, I couldn't handle owners not getting that.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I don't want to prolong his suffering, I just want to be like the other cats. If this can't be achieved, at least I tried.

When I saw it on the street I couldn't let it there...

nrs
September 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hopefully he'll make it and be able to live a normal life, and if not, like you said, at least you tried.

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
I don't want to prolong his suffering, I just want to be like the other cats. If this can't be achieved, at least I tried.

When I saw it on the street I couldn't let it there.

I agree, it seems to be worth persevering if the vet thinks it can be saved.

Seems to me the main problem is keeping it hydrated, at the moment. If you can get over that and it has surgery it sounds as though it could be fine.

The only reason the vet suggested we had the stray put down, I found, was because he thought we did not want to keep it. Even though like your situation it was an up hill battle.

Go back to the vet if your worried and ask for a drip also called intravenous fluids. That will hydrate the cat.

Champers had a lovely life and was so loved. We where so pleased we found it and saved it.

Helen

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
The vet rehidrated the cat with 4 syringes and told me to give water every 1 hour otherwise will die because of deshidratation.

I'm really worried about his mouth... :(

mellowd
September 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
please keep us informed

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
If the vet thinks he can operate on his mouth and he is on antibotics I would honestly concentrate on getting hydrated. If the vet feels he can operate thats a very good sign. Keep him hydrated to keep his strength up, that is really really important. Not being hydrated will make the cat feel ill as we do after a stomach bug when we have lost fluids, for example.

Helen

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
If the vet thinks he can operate on his mouth and he is on antibotics I would honestly concentrate on getting hydrated. If the vet feels he can operate thats a very good sign. Keep him hydrated to keep his strength up, that is really really important. Not being hydrated will make the cat feel ill as we do after a stomach bug when we have lost fluids, for example.

Helen

Very useful, i'll keep you informed.

Canis familiaris
September 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Is the cat better?

EDIT: Voted YES because I want it that way.

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
To cheer you up. 2 strays I rescued lounging on my bed, about 10 mins ago, just taken the picture.

Helen

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Too nice :D

Is the cat better?
Yes, it is if i'm taking care for it.

zmjjmz
September 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Do what the vet says and he'll survive.

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I also have 2 more cats as well one I have from a kitten and another an old lady (family friend) left me in her Will last year, when she died. As well as the 2 strays in the picture. Plus 2 dogs, a rescued German Shepherd and a Doberman Cross :) Yes all 4 cats and the dogs love one another they all sleep on my bed with me at night:)

Helen

pp.
September 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Do what the vet says and he'll survive.

Yes, vets are quite robust.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yesterday the vet sayd that are chances. Today he couldn't say a thing, maybe just because of the hidratation problem.

He can't say "Yes, i'll heal it 100%" , and then something goes wrong... I'm sure

vikramaditya
September 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
It has no maxilar.
Can you guess what might have caused this? It's hard to tell from the photos. Does it look like an impact injury or is it perhaps the result of being mauled by a larger animal?

Bravo, Sycron...whether or not this poor kitty survives, your act of compassion comforts the soul.

zmjjmz
September 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Both of my kittens were originally strays by the way, but we didn't pick them up; the vet(s) did.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
It may be a car wheel, or a very strong hit. My cat was hitted (maybe with a stone maybe with a foot) right in mouth and for 2 weeks I have to hidrate him with a seringe.

Now it's fine, He cannot eat bones. But it's fine without chirurgical intervention. His maxilar was bad first time.

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
It may be a car wheel, or a very strong punch

I have to say it looks to me that he has been clipped by a car. In my experience that is the sort of damage a car would do.I only have house cats now. 2 of my cats where injured by cars about 15 years ago.:( In the UK its common to let cats out but house cats are equally fine. With 4 cats plus 2 dogs they are never bored and never even ask to go out.:)

Helen

He can't say "Yes, i'll heal it 100%" , and then something goes wrong... I'm sure

Absolutely correct. A doctor would say something will heal 100% either. They wouldn't when I fractured my ankle and dislocated my shoulder and needed major surgery on both. I work with doctors and am a former NHS Manager.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
3-4 years ago i've had 3 cats. they're life ended hitted by car :( . it was so ugly to watch on the window and see them RIGHT on street.

First cat died hitted by a car in octomber 2005 or 2006 , the secondth after 3-4months. and the last one , EXACTLY one day after the secondth died :( . I was living the moment when "collecting" them from the street. VERY UGLY sentiment... :( and to often, I was destroyed. That time i was 12-13-13,5 years old... :(

Their name were Lulu, Tobi, Tomi in the order they died.

I have a question. Every cat that I growed up disliked to sleep with me. I don't knwo for what reason but it seem unconfortable when it's about sleep time. WHat i'm doing wrong? It's to warm ? As i know in the winter time he like to sleep with me :) .

mellowd
September 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
First cat died hitted by a car in octomber 2005 or 2006 , the secondth after 3-4months. and the last one , EXACTLY one day after the secondth died :( . I was living the moment when "collecting" them from the street. VERY UGLY sentiment... :( and to often, I was destroyed. That time i was 12-13-13,5 years old... :(

I lost a kitten who was hit by a car. Very sad indeed.

btw, it would be correct to say the cat was hit by a car, not that it died hitted by a car (I'm not complaining, but as you mention you want to improve your english I thought I'd point that out to you)

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
First cat died hitted by a car in octomber 2005 or 2006 , the secondth after 3-4months. and the last one , EXACTLY one day after the secondth died . I was living the moment when "collecting" them from the street. VERY UGLY sentiment... and to often, I was destroyed. That time i was 12-13-13,5 years old...

Their name were Lulu, Tobi, Tomi in the order they died.

I have a question. Every cat that I growed up disliked to sleep with me. I don't knwo for what reason but it seem unconfortable when it's about sleep time. WHat i'm doing wrong? It's to warm ? As i know in the winter time he like to sleep with me .

I take mine to bed with me as soon as I get them. Sounds disgusting but I have a litter tray in my bedroom its in the loft so is full length and width of the cottage. I take water and food with me and at night we all go to bed and shut the door at the of the stairs to the loft. The animals absolutely love it up there as you could see from my picture they go up there in the day too, on their own even if I am not in the room:) They choose to go up there its their favourite place to be, the dogs too. I would never buy a house without a loft extension/room now:)

With so many accidents I would seriously consider house cats so they do not go outside at all. That will also make them use to having lots of contact with you. They are then more likely to view your bed as their bed too.:)

Helen

Edit I recently babysat a neighbours puppy first thing he did was go upstairs, 2 lots of stairs to get to my room in the loft, and climbed on my bed. He obviously decided it was the animals bed. It was so funny to watch

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
btw, it would be correct to say the cat was hit by a car, not that it died hitted by a car (I'm not complaining, but as you mention you want to improve your english I thought I'd point that out to you)

Thank you!

I take mine to bed with me as soon as I get them. Sounds disgusting but I have a litter tray in my bedroom its in the loft so is full length and width of the cottage. I take water and food with me and at night we all go to bed and shut the door at the of the stairs to the loft. The animals absolutely love it up there as you could see from my picture they go up there in the day too, on their own even if I am not in the room They choose to go up there its their favourite place to be, the dogs too. I would never buy a house without a loft extension/room now

With so many accidents I would seriously consider house cats so they do not go outside at all. That will also make them use to having lots of contact with you. They are then more likely to view your bed as their bed too.

Helen

Edit I recently babysat a neighbours puppy first thing he did was go upstairs, 2 lots of stairs to get to my room in the loft, and climbed on my bed. He obviously decided it was the animals bed. It was so funny to watch

Thank you, too...

Zeotronic
September 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I didn't vote in the poll, I don't have a clue. I hope your vet is better than our vet though. We've lost many a cats to preventable causes. My father, their primary caretaker, is probably more qualified than our vet now... at least as far as cats are concerned. I have little doubt that we would have rescued this cat too if prompted to... but our rescue would have only been in the form of a sympathy killing. We simply don't have the means to restore a cat in this condition. I hope it goes well.

Martje_001
September 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have a question. Every cat that I growed up disliked to sleep with me. I don't knwo for what reason but it seem unconfortable when it's about sleep time. WHat i'm doing wrong? It's to warm ? As i know in the winter time he like to sleep with me :) .
As far as I know, cats hunt at night (our does), so they want to go out..

zmjjmz
September 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
As far as I know, cats hunt at night (our does), so they want to go out..

This is why we haven't fixed our mouse problems yet.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
This is why we haven't fixed our mouse problems yet.

lol

helliewm
September 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Not all cats hunt. Some of my cats haven't been in the least bit interested even when we had a real mouse in the lounge.:lolflag: I live in a rural area.

You can have house cats. We have had our back door open and the cats haven't ventured out.

Helen

handy
September 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
He'll never do as well as my little beaver; which is stroked & patted everyday.

Beavers seem to need a lot more attention than pussies which are so independent, at least that is the way I see it from my experience.

My little beaver craves attention, whereas most pussies, say, leave me alone, I'll come & talk to you when it suits me.

The desires of the misnomered puss, seem to be very much influenced by the phases of the moon!

As sexist as the above statement may sound, my wife agrees with it totally.

Hormones & moon phases are surely related.

Those who know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about. :lolflag:

Ub1476
September 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Cats has nine lifes, he will survive! :)

I have a cat myself, almost exactly my age. Some friends of my family found her when I was just a few months old. The cat came to their door, cold and freezing in the cold, cold winter in Norway. Since they had a cat, they asked my mom and dad if they wanted her, and they said yes. First she was very shy to humans, and didn't want to be patted or anything. I grew up with her though, and she became more and more comfortable every year. Today she purrs almost just when she sees me.

I still wonder what horrible person would just let a kitten go out side in 0 C degrees, or whatever had happened to her before we got her...

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Cats has nine lifes, he will survive! :)

I have a cat myself, almost exactly my age. Some friends of my family found her when I was just a few months old. The cat came to their door, cold and freezing in the cold, cold winter in Norway. Since they had a cat, they asked my mom and dad if they wanted her, and they said yes. First she was very shy to humans, and didn't want to be patted or anything. I grew up with her though, and she became more and more comfortable every year. Today she purrs almost just when she sees me.

I still wonder what horrible person would just let a kitten go out side in 0 C degrees, or whatever had happened to her before we got her...

Then I wonder how old is he/she ?

Sycron
September 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
:) , I'll show you some pictures, is still looking bad, but I can say that it's looking VERY good right now. (compared to other days)

After the pool result , the cat it's gonna be ok ... :).

As you can see in the pictures... the dark skin of the cat may be caused by the whell of a car... The cat's mouth is very damaged, so I can approve that that it's a car hit.

Under his tongue he has an infection... first day was so big... he can't breath that time because of infection. He lost some teeths and maybe the infection is caused by the teeths penetrating the mouth...

helliewm
September 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
So pleased he seems to be getting better. I agree definitely a car.
Keep him hydrated. He looks gorgeous and yes he does look much better than in the previous pictures.:)

PM me if you need help getting tablets or anything down him.

Helen

luckyuser
September 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
With a caring friend as you the cat should be very happy. I am sending some strong prayers as well :)
-lucky

Sycron
September 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Now the cat is walking on my chamber... He's enjoying everystep that he makes.

mellowd
September 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM

fantastic!!!

Canis familiaris
September 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Great :)

Sycron
September 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I was at the vet today. He rehidrateted him again with 4 seringes of water. Today I have to feed him with soup, milk and water and if the cat is in good situation the vet would operate it tomorrow.

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I was at the vet today. He rehidrateted him again with 4 seringes of water. Today I have to feed him with soup, milk and water and if the cat is in good situation the vet would operate it tomorrow.You're wonderful for doing this for the li'l kitty.

cespinal
September 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Kudos for you!

Obviously it wont feed normally but there are ways to get him nourished!

rune0077
September 4th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Awww, this thread has restored my faith in humanity.

Ub1476
September 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
then i wonder how old is he/she ?

15;)

Sycron
September 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Wow, is as old as me, almost. I'm 16.

Sycron
September 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I can't believe. I can't sleep because he has alot of energy right now. He want just to walk in my chamber. I don't understand why he's walking laps on my chamber over and over again :) .

helliewm
September 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I am so so pleased.:) Do keep him hydrated as much you possibly can as it will keep him feeling well. You know how feel when you are dehydrated from a stomach bug, it makes you feel ill.

PM me if you get stuck I am always had cats and dogs mostly rescued. My vet says in veterinary terms I am extremely experienced owner.

Do keep letting me know how he is. What have you called him?

This cat will turn out to be a real lap cat totally devoted to me.

Helen

JillSwift
September 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I can't believe. I can't sleep because he has alot of energy right now. He want just to walk in my chamber. I don't understand why he's walking laps on my chamber over and over again :) .Walking in circles in an enclosed space is a sign of being in pain, unfortunately. :(

J.T.
September 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I have two cats and a small dog. I love them all very much. I think you are a very good and compassionate person. I hope everything works out alright.

J.T.

Zeotronic
September 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Walking in circles in an enclosed space is a sign of being in pain, unfortunately.
Its it? I've never noticed that behavior in any of my cats which had good reason to be in pain (then again most of them are pretty withered by that point). Even if the cat is in pain, he might (I'm leaning more twords 'will probably') get over it in time.

JillSwift
September 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Its it? I've never noticed that behavior in any of my cats which had good reason to be in pain (then again most of them are pretty withered by that point). Even if the cat is in pain, he might (I'm leaning more twords 'will probably') get over it in time.The behavior is much more pronounced in younger, injured cats. Older cats with health problems do often wander, but it's more of a wander from napping spot to napping spot.

Once this particular critter has his jaw set and all, the pain will likely recede.

Sycron
September 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
He always make laps on every place that i'll put her...

His name is Mihaita :) , it may sound bad in English...

helliewm
September 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
In my experience cats in serious pain do not move. I would think he wants attention and cuddles my cats walk all me at night too:)

Helen:)

Sycron
September 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM
When I found it on the street he was staying alot on his legs and not move. Like a statuette. Very, but very slow he was moving that time.

azkehmm
September 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'm impressed with your patience and will to spend so much cash on getting that cat well. I'd have chosen the easy way and ended it's suffering (where i grew up, a cat who couldn't catch and kill a mouse or rat wasn't worth having). Good luck with it, and make sure that cat gets a good new home :)

Sycron
September 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
The vet sayd that the cat is awesome. His infection disapeared :D.

Next step is to make an X-Ray... :) and then to operate it.

I hope it will be ok, he sure will. :) poor cat...

helliewm
September 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Oh I am pleased. I am sure he will be fine now. Let us know:)

Helen

snowpine
September 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
You are awesome. This thread is awesome. I am cheering for the little guy, wishing him a healthy, happy life!

JillSwift
September 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
The vet sayd that the cat is awesome. His infection disapeared :D.

Next step is to make an X-Ray... :) and then to operate it.

I hope it will be ok, he sure will. :) poor cat...More thanks to you for doing this for the kitty. And also thanks for sharing the story with us!

May I ask for more pictures of kitty after kitty is home from surgery?

Sycron
September 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
More thanks to you for doing this for the kitty. And also thanks for sharing the story with us!

May I ask for more pictures of kitty after kitty is home from surgery?

Yes, you're welcome.

Canis familiaris
September 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I think this thread should be marked as Solved since the Cat has survived.
:D

helliewm
September 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think this thread should be marked as Solved since the Cat has survived.

I am sure this cat will be fine but he still needs surgery and to recover so its not solved yet:)

Helen

Sycron
September 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I am sure this cat will be fine but he still needs surgery and to recover so its not solved yet:)

Helen

Yes.. now it's the really hard job...

jken146
September 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Meow :)

vikramaditya
September 7th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Now that felis catus has defeated the 1st level boss ship and been awarded an extra life, it's time for a name to be chosen. What is kitty's gender, that we might submit our suggestions?

Ripfox
September 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
His name is Mihaita

I love cats and me and my finance have four of them. One looks EXACTLY like Mihaita. GOOD WORK, and I pray for the little kitty.

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I am really impressed about the cat's improvements. Five days ago the pool results were 0-Yes,6-No, then helliewm came in and sayd "Yes, he can do that" so , 1-Yes,6-No . After that I sayd too Yes, he sure will , 2-Yes,6-No.

Today the pool result is "Yes". Thank all of you for participating.

Tomorrow the cat will be pleased to be anaesthetized and X-Rayed, then imediately the surgery intervention. Hope will be fine, and like I sayd he sure will.

Be welcome to show you some pictures. :)
M: is me , and C: is cat :)
For example x.M means In the picture x, the cat was saying ...

1.M: Say hi to ubuntuforums.org.
2.C: Hy!
3.M: Want to pee? Ok, ok you sure want
4.C: Noooo!!! , please, i want back.
5.C: Fine! I'll stay here.

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
6.C: Pleaseeee... MEEEOWWW!
7.M: Ok ok ok...
7.C: Thank you thank you.
8.C: Bye bye!

The cat is male, and his name is Mihăiţă . He is about 1,5 years old. :)

helliewm
September 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
He looks so much better and is absolutely gorgeous:)

I know he will be fine and I will be thinking of him tomorrow.

Helen

PM me if you need tricks to get tablets etc down him after the operation. I always had cats so am fully of useful ideas.

Changturkey
September 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Cats are awesome.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Is Mihaita named after Mihăiţă Pleşan or George Mihăiţă? Or is it just a name?

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Is Mihaita named after Mihăiţă Pleşan or George Mihăiţă? Or is it just a name?

You get it ;) .

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Sorry, which one?

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry, which one?

It doesn't matter. Mihăiţă Pleşan or George Mihăiţă is the same.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
No. I meant, who is the cat named after?

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
No. I meant, who is the cat named after?

Just a common name.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Okay. :D
Thanks for all you are doing. It is really good of you.

Ripfox
September 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm thinking of the little cat when he gets his surgery!

issih
September 7th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Awwwww, poor little thing, I hope the surgery goes well. Well done for looking after the little guy, its nice to be reminded that people can be kind sometimes :)

*Strokes Mihaita*

~LoKe
September 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
He's probably walking about because he can. Dehydrated and injured would prevent him from moving much at all, so I imagine he's making full use of his abilities.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
When is the surgery to be preformed?

Sycron
September 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
As we wouldn't except the things are not fine. X-ray's were BAD very bad. The time exposure was too long, so the pictures were a white cat silhouette in a black background. And the cost were far too much that I've spend to the vet all these days.

The vet was very confused because of the X-Ray's so all he said was "is very complicated". I could read on his face, he was disappointed.

Maybe I should mention that the X-Ray was taken in a "human" clinical.

Now the cat is sleeping because he is anaesthetized. Today the vet is analyzing the X-Rays, he must be VERY sure how surgery have to be done.

I don't care about the price of the X-Rays (~21Euro , ~23$) I would do them again, but sorry if that clinical is unable to do for the cat the X-Rays then we have problems.

Tomorrow the vet will decide the cat's life... I'm very worried about his situation. Also more than 1 anaesthesia is not healthy that's for sure.

Ripfox
September 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Well no matter the outcome, which I hope is good. you tried to do something kind and I say you are blessed for this experience.

xeth_delta
September 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
As we wouldn't except the things are not fine. X-ray's were BAD very bad. The time exposure was too long, so the pictures were a white cat silhouette in a black background. And the cost were far too much that I've spend to the vet all these days.

The vet was very confused because of the X-Ray's so all he said was "is very complicated". I could read on his face, he was disappointed.

Maybe I should mention that the X-Ray was taken in a "human" clinical.

Now the cat is sleeping because he is anaesthetized. Today the vet is analyzing the X-Rays, he must be VERY sure how surgery have to be done.

I don't care about the price of the X-Rays (~21Euro , ~23$) I would do them again, but sorry if that clinical is unable to do for the cat the X-Rays then we have problems.

Tomorrow the vet will decide the cat's life... I'm very worried about his situation. Also more than 1 anaesthesia is not healthy that's for sure.

Well, I guess I will also chime in to tell you what others have already.
What you are doing is a wonderful gesture! :) I'm sure I talk in everybody's name when I say thank you for taking care of a helpless poor animal and for not giving up on him.

What I would certainly suggest you is to find a place where you can get an X-ray radiography for animals at a vet clinic, even if it not at the same vet you are consulting. My guess is that the dose would be different, and hence a better image of Mihaita's injuries would be possible. Some things might not be visible from a regular radiography for people.

Also, this is not as a proof of distrust or disrespect towards the vet, as I am sure it's a great professional, but in case his proposed outlook is not good, it never hurts to ask for a second opinion, maybe just another perspective will help. I believe that chances of saving the kitty are worth taking them as slim as they might be, trust me, I can tell you from experience.

So, that's why I would say, don't give up, there's always some hope! :)

Bafta multa si tie si lui Mihaita!

Good luck and please do keep us updated! :)

Sycron
September 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Well, I guess I will also chime in to tell you what others have already.
What you are doing is a wonderful gesture! :) I'm sure I talk in everybody's name when I say thank you for taking care of a helpless poor animal and for not giving up on him.

What I would certainly suggest you is to find a place where you can get an X-ray radiography for animals at a vet clinic, even if it not at the same vet you are consulting. My guess is that the dose would be different, and hence a better image of Mihaita's injuries would be possible. Some things might not be visible from a regular radiography for people.

Also, this is not as a proof of distrust or disrespect towards the vet, as I am sure it's a great professional, but in case his proposed outlook is not good, it never hurts to ask for a second opinion, maybe just another perspective will help. I believe that chances of saving the kitty are worth taking them as slim as they might be, trust me, I can tell you from experience.

So, that's why I would say, don't give up, there's always some hope! :)

Bafta multa si tie si lui Mihaita!

Good luck and please do keep us updated! :)

X-ray radiography for animals at a vet clinic
There is no one in town.

Thank you, nice :D .

Sycron
September 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
The vet can do nothing...It's too bad. The cat is living just because of me. If I stop feeding him then will die. He can't live alone.I don't know what to do. I don't want to prolong his sufferings but believe me I can neither kill him.

You didn't live the moment when i feed him, when he's asking me to love her, i don't know but i just can't kill it.

Martje_001
September 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
You don't have to do it *yourself*.. and it may sound rude, but you just have to.

Sef
September 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
The vet can do nothing...It's too bad. The cat is living just because of me. If I stop feeding him then will die. He can't live alone.I don't know what to do. I don't want to prolong his sufferings but believe me I can neither kill him.

You didn't live the moment when i feed him, when he's asking me to love her, i don't know but i just can't kill it.

If you can't kill it, then your options are to keep it and give it to someone else who will keep it alive.

Sycron
September 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I still disagree. He's now a part of family. He can't be just gone. I do believe in self-healing.

xeth_delta
September 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I still disagree. He's now a part of family. He can't be just gone. I do believe in self-healing.

I understand you. What exactly did the vet say? Have you considered asking for a second opinion, as I said, just in case a different perspective provides a solution.

I believe, that as long as the cat is not suffering, and someone can feed him even in this case it can have a long nice life, alimentation aside. Maybe a short time later some reconstructive surgery will be possible.

Canis familiaris
September 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I believe, that as long as the cat is not suffering, and someone can feed him even in this case it can have a long nice life, alimentation aside.
+1
But if she is really suffering, you have no other choice but to relive her of the pain.

Zeotronic
September 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
If the cat can survive under your care, and it does not seem particularly miserable, than you should continue caring for it. Study the cat's situation with regards to it's personal condition and medical work related to it, and perhaps try to get the damage repaired at a later date, or go out of your way to another vet at some other location (in another town or something). If you could find a specialist of sorts... vets have to care for many types of animals, you really cant get anything conclusive until you find a specialist... whether it be a cat specialist or a specialist on this type of procedure.

Sycron
September 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
+1
But if she is really suffering, you have no other choice but to relive her of the pain.

As I see the cat is no suffering. He can still live peacefully and happy. Now I'm woried about alimentation. He can eat only fluids... He did pee nothing last 5 days...

xeth_delta
September 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
If the cat can survive under your care, and it does not seem particularly miserable, than you should continue caring for it. Study the cat's situation with regards to it's personal condition and medical work related to it, and perhaps try to get the damage repaired at a later date, or go out of your way to another vet at some other location (in another town or something). If you could find a specialist of sorts... vets have to care for many types of animals, you really cant get anything conclusive until you find a specialist... whether it be a cat specialist or a specialist on this type of procedure.

+1
Agree, sycron, especially seeing how much you have gotten attached to the cat and I'm sure he has gotten attached to you, it might really be worth it. Maybe it is possible to to something at a later date in another town close to you. I think it would be better not to rusch into anything to drastic as putting Mihaita to permanent sleep.

xeth_delta
September 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
As I see the cat is no suffering. He can still live peacefully and happy. Now I'm woried about alimentation. He can eat only fluids... He did pee nothing last 5 days...

Regarding alimentation, I guess it might be possible to have him eat blended food from a blender/mixer.

Are you sure it has not used the litter box in 5 days? You should really inform the vet about that, to make sure it does not develop any kidney failure. Could he have used a different place in the room?

Sycron
September 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Regarding alimentation, I guess it might be possible to have him eat blended food from a blender/mixer.

Are you sure it has not used the litter box in 5 days? You should really inform the vet about that, to make sure it does not develop any kidney failure. Could he have used a different place in the room?

He has not defecated in the last five days but he has urinated on per day.

Sycron
September 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
So sorry to say... but my father don't want that cat in house, just because he can't live on it's own. And he neither want the other cats anymore.

I can't live without them... they're representing no less than 50% of my happiness. Every day that I live is going to be fascinating just because of them.

I can't start a new day without Kitty which is "MEEEOWWW"-ing every day at 5.00Aam at my window to let it in... I can't start a new day without Buf which is asking me to give fresh milk with dry bread... I just can't.

Zeotronic
September 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Your father is forcing you to disown Mihaita, and you had other cats which he is also forcing you to disown? Unhappy ending? I would take them, but I'm clear across the world, its unpractical, perhaps even unrealistic. Obviously, you should see if anyone will take them. But this will probably end badly for Mihaita.

Sycron
September 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I totally disagree what my father says...

lukjad
September 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Sometimes these choices have to be made. If someone really doesn't like cats, being forced to live with one can affect them emotionally and physically.

NTolerance
September 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Sycron, thank you for sacrificing your time and money to care for this cat. Stray cats are a real problem here in North Carolina, USA. Cats are excellent hunters and have no trouble caring for themselves in their native habitat, but roadways are merciless killers of these animals.

Just last week I was in a downtown parking lot and heard a high-pitched meowing sound. I followed the sound across the street and found a tiny kitten that was only a few months old. It was all alone, no mother, no brothers and sisters. I fear that someone intentionally left it there.

I attempted to get close to the kitten but it ran into a very large and thick bush. I then saw a man walking up the road with a pet carrier. He came toward us and said he had noticed the meowing earlier and was also looking for the kitten in an attempt to save it. I was very glad to see another caring person who was trying to help the kitten. It took us at least an hour to locate the kitten in the bush and extract him/her. We got him/her in the carrier and now the man is caring for the kitten at his house.

Mihaita is in my thoughts and I hope for the best. Thanks again for all you've done.

amersault
September 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Sycron, what you've done for this cat is wonderful. i commend you for all the effort you've made. i hope everything works out well for Mihaita :(

i'm concerned that the cat has not defecated in the last few days; he should definitely see the Vet. can they not give Mihaita a feeding tube? you mentioned your father is not happy w/ the cat staying - i hope he changes his mind.

please keep us all posted ~

here in the US, there is a place in Montana that will take disabled animals. they're called Rolling Dog Ranch.

www.rollingdogranch.com

if the living situation becomes unacceptable w/ your dad, would you consider writing them to see if they'll take Mihaita in? they may be your last resort.

lukjad
September 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I hope all works out for Mihaita. Keep us informed.

ooobuntooo
September 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Am I correct in seeing it as an American history X mouth against the curb kind of injury?

That was a great film wasn't it?

Sycron
September 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Right now I have to go to the vet and tell him that tomorrow i will come to "eutanasiate" the cat :(. So sorry to say, i just don't understand why my father doesn't want that cat.

JillSwift
September 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Right now I have to go to the vet and tell him that tomorrow i will come to "eutanasiate" the cat :(. So sorry to say, i just don't understand why my father doesn't want that cat.
:cry: Kitty got to live well, Sycron, for her last days because of you. And kitty won't have to suffer a lingering death either, as she would have if you had not rescued her. You did very well, and deserve to feel a little proud for it.

overdrank
September 12th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Speaking as a Father, some times it is hard to explain things to your children. If a animal is suffering it is sometimes for the best to end the suffering. It is very hard to do :(

Sycron
September 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I wonder how the cat will act if he know that this is his last day.

I was at the vet, and tomorrow at 9:30am GMT +2 I have to go with the cat ...

DrMega
September 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I wonder how the cat will act if he know that this is his last day.

I was at the vet, and tomorrow at 9:30am GMT +2 I have to go with the cat ...

I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread. Is there no possibility/likelihood that the cat can recover? If there is, perhaps a rescue centre may be able to take it and give it the medical care it needs.

If that just isn't a realistic option, then as emotionally difficult as it is, sometimes euthanasia is the last act of kindness you can do for a suffering animal.

Canis familiaris
September 12th, 2008, 03:45 PM
If that just isn't a realistic option, then as emotionally difficult as it is, sometimes euthanasia is the last act of kindness you can do for a suffering animal.
That's a sad truth.

Sycron
September 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM
The cat is begging me to love her, he want attention and alot of time. I can't offer him that. So sad to say that.

Lod
September 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear it's not going well with the cat. It's a situation any pet owner will recognize and it's often as difficult as losing a relative. Good luck to you.

If the cat can survive under your care, and it does not seem particularly miserable, than you should continue caring for it.It's not that simple. You still have to think about the cat and the quality of it's life. What kind of a cats life is it when the only thing you can do is lying around waiting for your meal, not able to chase mice anymore, no climbing in trees, probably not even able to clean yourself. And this for the rest of your life. Would he/she be a happy cat?

Sycron
September 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Unformal saying in his stupidity the cat is feeling good :), he sleep with me every night in bed , he's walking free in my chamber, he's asking to pee, asking to feed,to love etc...

She can clean but when he finishes I have to clean his tongue because is alot of hair there...

When a cat is happy she's going to make a little diesel (:lolflag:) sound. How is named that ?

DrMega
September 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Unformal saying in his stupidity the cat is feeling good :), he sleep with me every night in bed , he's walking free in my chamber, he's asking to pee, asking to feed,to love etc...

She can clean but when he finishes I have to clean his tongue because is alot of hair there...

If the cat is able to do all that OK, then perhaps re-homing is a better option than euthanasia.

When a cat is happy she's going to make a little diesel (:lolflag:) sound. How is named that ?

Purring.

Sycron
September 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I will speak with the vet but I don't see near me ppl who want that cat... :(

DrMega
September 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I will speak with the vet but I don't see near me ppl who want that cat... :(

A quick web search for "animal rescue centre romania" led me to this site:

http://proanimals.ro/en/about/

I have no idea if they have a site near you (or if indeed they only have one site in the whole country), but they may be able to direct you to an organisation that can help.

Sycron
September 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
It's not a good option this time... I will speak with vet and convince him to make something, but as I saw the vet has done everything he could. We must pray for the little cat, no more than 10h till fatal injection if we can't do a thing for that little cat :(

He's now sitting near me and sleep. So hard to forget it... He's purring alot when he is feeling loved...

zmjjmz
September 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Where I am the vets can keep and/or advertise pets for adoption.
Is this not an option for you?

lukjad
September 12th, 2008, 10:15 PM
You have done much for this cat. If you do have to put down the cat, realize that you have given this cat a painless and dignified exit. You are showing a great deal of compassion and love for this cat and he appreciates it. I cannot say that I understand as I have never had to let anyone go, but let me just say that you are a very brave and kind person for having done all this. No matter the outcome, you did and are doing the right thing.

nkri
September 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
You have done much for this cat. If you do have to put down the cat, realize that you have given this cat a painless and dignified exit. You are showing a great deal of compassion and love for this cat and he appreciates it. I cannot say that I understand as I have never had to let anyone go, but let me just say that you are a very brave and kind person for having done all this. No matter the outcome, you did and are doing the right thing.

Totally agreed. It's great that you at least tried (and tried your absolute best;)) and didn't leave him to die, as so many people would. If he has to go, I think it's much better in a painless and relatively comfortable way.

Sycron
September 13th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Well... when the vet prepared the syringe, he saw the cat eyes... He just couldn't do it. He saw the difference between how was looking for the first time and how is looking now.

Like I said he couldn't kill it, but he don't want neither to prolong his sufferings. It's a hard decision which need time, much time.

The vet prayed me to keep it one more week and he will try the surgery. And well , good news at least.I saw in a newspaper a vet clinical which make (or "take" I don't know the correct form) X-Rays... However, is a very difficult surgery. This has to be done VERY carefully and exactly if I can say that...

Me and my father studied the cat... It seems and like the vet said there was human hand ... His mouth has been forced by a human. We discovered a paint or super-glue in his skin and around his mouth. He has been hitted in head, as he would not let me touch the skin near there.

I don't know how it's named that process when you go to a hairstyler and tell him to cut your hair, and after that your hair is shorter...

I discovered that a part of his skin is cutted or shorter than on the other parts (like I said above about the hairstyling.) Near there I found the same black paint...

And, in the first day when I found it his "mouth sky" was black, maybe the same paint... It is very strange. Is like someone tried to kill him...

Thank you guys for all your effort. We have to pray for Mihaita.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Well, the term you are looking for may be either a haircut or a shave. A haircut is usually when you go to the barber or hairstylist and your hair is cut shorter or into a style you like. A shave is when there is not more hair left on a spot. Usually that is done with a razor.

I hope that all works out.

Sincerely,
Luke

Sycron
September 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It's a haircut, thanks...

sosipator
September 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
The best thing to do is to leave the cat as it is. If it's God's will to live, than he will live.
I once had a cat, and somehow his rear legs went paralized. I spent a lot of money, and nothing. The cat just died. Going through the veterinarian procedures, is only tormenting the poor cat.

Sycron
September 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry for your cat :( I have alot of cats, and 4 of them died by a car hit. Fortunately here the cat is treated very well. The vet has felt somehow uncapable to heal the cat, and he dislike that. The vet threated very good and payd alot of attention to that cat. He maked me alot of payoffs, and sometimes I paid just 50% of total price...

Like I said before, the price of 2 Xrays is much higher that I paid all the time to the vet...

Faolan84
September 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
The best thing to do is to leave the cat as it is. If it's God's will to live, than he will live.
I once had a cat, and somehow his rear legs went paralized. I spent a lot of money, and nothing. The cat just died. Going through the veterinarian procedures, is only tormenting the poor cat.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Cats to many people are like members of their family and I'm sorry if one of my family member got sick I would not "put them to sleep" if I knew there is a change that they could live. Perhaps that makes me jerk or perhaps that makes me too soft of a person, but given the situation it seems like this kitten has a good shot at living if it is given the right care.

Secondly even if he is prolonging the cat from passing on, he has at least given it the greatest gift he possibly could and that love and dignity. However, I do think this cat is going to live. Mihaita may not live a normal life, but that doesn't mean that the it's life will not be miserable.

Also to the original poster, I hope Mihaita's surgery goes well.

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
i'm sorry but i have to disagree. Cats to many people are like members of their family and i'm sorry if one of my family member got sick i would not "put them to sleep" if i knew there is a change that they could live. Perhaps that makes me jerk or perhaps that makes me too soft of a person, but given the situation it seems like this kitten has a good shot at living if it is given the right care.

Secondly even if he is prolonging the cat from passing on, he has at least given it the greatest gift he possibly could and that love and dignity. However, i do think this cat is going to live. Mihaita may not live a normal life, but that doesn't mean that the it's life will not be miserable.

Also to the original poster, i hope mihaita's surgery goes well.
+1

Toadmund
September 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Difficult choices to make, many ups and downs here.

We just took a stray cat in about two weeks ago, it was dirty, very skinny, full of fleas and suffering from flea anemia, the cat was walking like it was dizzy. We started leaving it cat food, then we took it indoors. Now it has gained a lot of weight (I hope it's not pregnant, like the last one, we can't keep any more kittens!), before it's ribs were like pencils, and you could feel it's spine quite easily between it's ribs and back legs. I am sure it would have died if it were not for us.

This is our second stray now, the first one has no desire at all to go outside, and it seems like this one will be perfectly happy indoors too. We don't want our cats to be hit by a car or to go missing. This new cat is very affectionate, has no more fleas, thanks to once a month flea treatment drops.

6 cats now, NO MORE, this time for sure!?

Back to your poor cat, if you must make the 'decision' I am sure it would be the best choice, but I do hope something can be done after all.

Good luck!

xeth_delta
September 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hi there Sycron!

I'm so glad to know that the vet did not opt for the euthanasia.
I stronlgy believe that if this cat has the possibility to live, we, as humans, have to try to give it to him.

Your father might be worried that you might suffer if the cat dies, or concerned you might not be able to take care of it.
I would recommend you to talk to him and explain him that you love that cat, and that you feel capable and really want to take care of Mihaita, especially after the fact that the vet decided not to put him to sleep.

Why exactly did he say he did not want to keep Mihaita?

Ask him to look into the cat's eyes. I'm sure that, just as the vet did, he will see a lot of life left in them, and that all what the cat is now askin for is some love, attention and care. As I said, do not give up. :)

Even if the cat can not have a completely normal life, it can have a pretty good one, and seems to be happy next to you now.

This, in my view, would be the best solution, but if even so, you cannot keep him (I hope you convince your parents, though), there might be some possibilities for adoption.

If you can't find any other person to take care of him, I have searched over the web for some animal protection societies in Romania and found a few that might be able and wanting to lend a hand.

These, I think, are not very close to your town, though, but I think it might be worth giving it a try. Here they are:

http://www.cautstapan.ro/asociatii-ong-uri.html
http://www.cautstapan.ro/asociatii-ong-uri/pagina_2.html
http://www.cautstapan.ro/asociatii-ong-uri/pagina_3.html

http://www.nuca.org.ro/
http://www.appac.3x.ro/

You can write or call them and ask. I will send them an e-mail, too, to see what they think.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :D

Sycron
September 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thank you guys, the cat is fine right now... at least for the moment. I have too 6 cats with Mihaita ... huh :).

I saw today a cat lying on the corner of a road, hited by car she was still breathing ... so sad. I could do nothing...

lukjad
September 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oh no! That's too bad.

xeth_delta
September 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thank you guys, the cat is fine right now... at least for the moment. I have too 6 cats with Mihaita ... huh :).

:p That's nice!

I saw today a cat lying on the corner of a road, hited by car she was still breathing ... so sad. I could do nothing...

So sorry to hear that... Was it too late to do anything? :( Hopefully somebody else managed to do something for that cat.

Now, slightly off-topic. [rant] I understand that accidents can sometimes happen, but if somebody hits a poor animal with a car, the least that person can do is take the it to a vet to at least try to save it, not cowardly and heartlessly run away as if nothing happened. The responsible and humane thing to at least try to help! I will never understand people who just run away!!![end rant]
Luckily there's people like Sycron ready to offer a help to a helpless animal :)

Sycron
September 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I was having alot of cats in my life, and 4 of them were hitted by a car... so sorry...

That cat was somehow paralized and in "deep sleep". Some white red blood was omming from his nose or mouth... It was too late... :( I saw people that ere watching that cat and DO NOTHING. Why? The same happened with Mihaita...

jken146
September 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
:( I saw people that ere watching that cat and DO NOTHING. Why? The same happened with Mihaita...

I don't understand people either.

lukjad
September 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
@Sycron
I know that I could not pick up a cat that was badly hurt. It would be all I could do not to faint or throw up. I once was in a park and there was a rock dove (or pigeon) that had a hurt wing and couldn't fly. That I could handle. I kept it calm until the animal care unit came. But a cat that is dying or with a smashed jaw would be beyond me. Maybe when the moment come I could be as selfless as you, but I do not know.

NullHead
September 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM
It always makes me sad to hear about hurt animals, but hay, I 'm glad you're at least trying to save a life!

Best of luck to you and the kitteh! :popcorn:

This is inspiring, but is the cat alive? I believe I've been lost in this thread. The cat is living right?

Sycron
September 16th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Mihaita is still alive. :P I take care of it.

DrMega
September 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM

That's good. Last time I checked on this thread you thought you were going to have to have it put down. It's good that euthanasia has not been necessary in this case.

NullHead
September 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM

How's the mouth doing? Last I knew you still had to manually feed him. It's touching that you're taking the time to love and take care of the cat when he truly had absolutely no change of survival.

amersault
September 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM
any luck w/ Romanian Animal Rescue Groups taking the cat? i hope your dad changed his mind.

i'm so glad that you're still caring for Mihaita. what you're doing is selfless and courageous. something good will come of this. at least Mihaita is finally getting the love and care he(she?) deserves.

we're all looking forward to happy updates.

PS -

if the Vet or surgeon can restructure the jaw to stay shut, even permanently, you can just continue to feed Mihaita via feeding tube. this may be a better alternative than having his jaw perennially open and vastly improve his quality of life.

Ripfox
September 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM

So is dad gonna let you keep him?

Sycron
September 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM
A new X-Ray has been taken. So clear that the vet knows what to do: 2x1 surgery(two surgery-es). One is complicated and will be the first...

Doh, it was a BIG doze of "anesthezis" for the cat (0,25ml ketanol or ketonal).Those vets from the X-Rays have exagered a bit, i think. He almost couldn't breath. He is still sleeping... The vet we know from the first time got scared, because the cat pulse was very slow.

Next week the first surgery will perform...Hope it will be fine. I saw this on the vet face, even if it's complicated. If the vet touches some nerves that control the cat muscles eyes...

NullHead
September 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I really hope things turn out alright for you!

I've got two cats of my own, and I know if anything like this ever happened to them, I'd be simply crushed to loose either of 'em.

Mihaita will pull through, cats are fighters, and I have faith in the cat!

lukjad
September 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hope all goes well! Give Mihaita a pat for me!

Sef
September 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hope the surgeries go well.

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Awww the poor thing :cry: I'm a big cat person so I really hope everything goes ok.

albeano2004
September 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'm a big cat person

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4236/catfurryew7.th.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catfurryew7.jpg)http://img146.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

What, you look something like this? ;) Sorry, couldn't help it :). My best wishes for the real cat though, hope the poor thing makes it through the surgery and whatnot :)

jken146
September 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Any news?

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Will it be possible to have this thread moved to the Community Cafe? I don't want it to close. :( Does there have to be a request by anyone or just the OP to move a thread?

crazyfuturamanoob
September 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nobody lives forever.

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
I will.

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
The surgery will perform at 7:00pm GMT +2, Today.

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
I hope all goes well!

NullHead
September 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Best wishes to you and your kitteh! :popcorn:

Tristam Green
September 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Never before on UF have I read a 10+ Page thread from start to finish.

This one was well worth the time spent, and the subscription I added to it.

Sycron, I hope everything goes well for Mihaita and yourself.

I fully second the motion that this thread be moved to the Cafe, or some part of UF so it doesn't get deleted/closed. Like the other users who've kept up with Mihaita's trials, I'd love to know how this concludes :)

mips
September 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Never before on UF have I read a 10+ Page thread from start to finish.

This one was well worth the time spent, and the subscription I added to it.

This thread will die with OMGPP unless it gets moved to the Cafe. So it might be pointless subscribing to it.

Canis familiaris
September 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
This thread will die with OMGPP unless it gets moved to the Cafe. So it might be pointless subscribing to it.

And Hence I Report this thread to be moved to the Community Cafe...

Sef
September 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Anurag_panda Quote:
Originally Posted by mips http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5840925#post5840925)

And Hence I Report this thread to be moved to the Community Cafe... 99.9999% of the posts will disappear on 1 Oct 2008. Maybe .0001% might be moved. This thread is one of them. There is no guarantee that it will be moved. The best way to make your voice heard is click on the report button in post 163. Any other way could hurt the cause, so please do the right thing and click on the report button in post 163, if you want to save this thread.

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Now the cat is at the surgery. :( I strongly hope that Everything WILL be fine..

If all goes OK, I will be grateful this day every year of my life.

My heart is going to blow until I receive the call from vet. I never had such day like this.

Tristam Green
September 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
99.9999% of the posts will disappear on 1 Oct 2008. Maybe .0001% might be moved. This thread is one of them. There is no guarantee that it will be moved. The best way to make your voice heard is click on the report button in post 163. Any other way could hurt the cause, so please do the right thing and click on the report button in post 163, if you want to save this thread.

Done.

Hang in there Sycron :)

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
I am moving this thread.

Sycron, I hope all goes well. And after this is over, things will cool down.

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
1 hour of surgery.

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
If I had a genie, I would give you a wish.

NullHead
September 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Sycron, I am truly hoping for the best ... this cat has been in my head ever since I read your thread. I'm very glad you've shared your experience with us here, because it's made me realize just how special pets are to us.

We should totally save this thread. I hit the report button so we could save the thread.

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
1h and 30mins of surgery. I'm getting worried.

xeth_delta
September 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hang in! Sometimes these things can take quite a while. We all hope for the best! :)

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Ok. I'll keep you informed.

overdrank
September 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Ok on the reports to move this thread. I suggest that we wait and see the outcome of the surgery and then make a decision on moving the thread. This thread originated from the Cafe. Thanks to all for the concern but I think we can be patient and see about the surgery. :)

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Come on! The cat will pull through. He has to. Just save yourselves a lot of trouble and do it ahead of time. :D

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'm going after Mihaita, the vet called me. Hope is FINE. Thank you guys.

Sycron
September 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Well, I can say that 60% of surgery performed well. The vet reconstructed the cats mandible but one fracture on the left side is still there. It's not a major problem but this needs time.

If you will live 1month with mouth fully open, could you live then again instantly with mounth again normal?

lukjad
September 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
True. I'm glad he's fine!

snowpine
September 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Awesome! That is good news. :)

FuturePilot
September 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Very good news :)

xeth_delta
September 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
So glad to read the operation went fine!!! :D

Indeed, it might take a while for him to get used to a more normal mouth.

Hope he's feeling fine now, you two should rest, it's been a long day, after all. :)

SeanHodges
September 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I caught the beginning of this thread just now, and am glad to skip to the end to find it's not all sad news :)

I hope Mihaita recovers quickly from the operation, and good job on the effort you've put in for him.

NullHead
September 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hay that's the best news I've heard all day long!

Could you take some pictures of his newly re-consturcted/fixed jaw?

And the cat is just plain cute anyways ;)

jken146
September 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Yay! Excellent news! So glad to hear that. Keep us posted! :) :) :)

McLogic
September 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM
It is always sad to see a hurt animal.

Ripfox
September 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM
YAy!!!!

lukjad
September 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Now that the cat had lived, we really should move this thread. :D
This is one the few "happy" threads that I have found.

Canis familiaris
September 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Now that the cat had lived, we really should move this thread. :D
This is one the few "happy" threads that I have found.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5841046&postcount=164

So please Report my post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5840942&postcount=163

so that we can save this thread...

helliewm
September 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I am so so pleased its excellent news:):):):):)

Helen

lukjad
September 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Already done, twice.

amersault
September 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
YEEAAAHHHH - he came out fine!! i'm so glad to hear it went well!

he'll get used to his more normal jaw. in the meantime, it's all just rest and recuperation. better than living life w/ his mouth open all the time.

i reported this thread to be moved, too. hope it's done before 10/1.

post pictures!!!!

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
i reported this thread to be moved, too. hope it's done before 10/1.

We got a lot of reports, but none of us seem interested in moving it.

If this thread doesn't get moved, the OP can make a new one in the Cafe to give you all updates for the "animal lovers" (as the report said ;)).

I am not an animal lover, I am a vegan.

amersault
September 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
but surely vegans still have pets?

anyway, hope the thread gets revived/survives post Oct, just for the positive outcome of this one.

Calmatory
September 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Pictures? :)

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
but surely vegans still have pets?

It was a joke, on the "I love animals" part.

amersault
September 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
it was a joke, on the "i love animals" part.

:)

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I be no' stoppin' me reportin' 'til this thread be moved!

CrazyG
September 25th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I have reported #163 as well.

Sycron, I am so glad that the surgery went well. Thank you for being such a caring person.

Irihapeti
September 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well. What a lucky cat Mihaita is, to have such a caring person taking care of him.

P.S: Thanks to the person who moved this thread to the cafe.

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Wow, first thank all of you for being interested in Mihăiţă's situation. Well this day I'm at home. It was impossible for me to go at school this day because after the surgery Mihaita has terrible pains, and can't stay unattended because there are high chances to hurt himself.

There were 2hours of surgery. A lot of time and the vet didn't finish a left fracture.

We'll this cat had 2 fractures and the mandible jumped out from left and right. Aren't these good news ? The vet is awesome, and I didn't pay-ed so much money... the treatment after the surgery is free. :)

I don't know to post or no pictures, but the cat is not looking good right now. Mihaita has 2 incisions and no more hair on the face because of the surgery.

Irihapeti
September 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM
It can't be much fun for Mihaita right now because of the pain, but he will get better. I think cats know when someone really cares about them, and they respond to that.

Ripfox
September 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
we need updated pics, hair or no hair!

xeth_delta
September 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
He'll get better and later will be able to eat by himself, too :) So happy!
I don't know, but I would tend to agree with you sycron, maybe we should wait a little for the pictures. :)

By the way, thanks to the moderator that moved the thread to the Cafe section.

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Enjoy. The pictures aren't clear but is all i've got.

jespdj
September 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Ah, poor kitty! :cry:

Thank you for taking such good care of it! I hope it will get better soon.

uberdonkey5
September 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
It can't be much fun for Mihaita right now because of the pain, but he will get better. I think cats know when someone really cares about them, and they respond to that.

+1
regardless of whether he survives or not, its good that you are trying and he doesn't have to die alone or from starvation (loosing teeth is how alot of animals die of old age in the wild - they cannot eat enough to satisfy their energy requirements and effectively starve). Face it, we all die, but its how we make each other feel in the meantime that counts. He is very lucky you found him. Good luck with the recovery from the operation.. cats are very very tough animals.

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
he is less than 1 year old. 7 or 8 month maybe

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm glad that he is well!

(PS Thanks to the mod/admin that moved this thread!)

Tristam Green
September 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
all right Sycron!! keep taking care of your little buddy :) Mihaita surely understands that you love him, and he loves you back for it. If this were done intentionally by a human, most cats would be excessively paranoid of other humans for a very long time.

+6 thanks to the mod who moved this.

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM
We fight each other frequently by no-name reasons but in the same time we live in peace :) .

Well good news again. Next week the vet is going to do the second surgery.

NullHead
September 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Can he move his jaw up and down like normal? There's probably allot of pain in doing so, but does it move? Or is it pinned in place until the fractures can heal?

Thanks to the mod/admin for moving thread :)

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
He can move it. Slow but he can do it. He need to practice that. Until the second surgery he can't fully close the mouth.

amersault
September 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM
yeah, from the pictures it looked like the jaw was set to be perennially open. but it's good to hear he can now move it, despite the pain.

on the upside, it's a benefit that Mihaita is still so young. the bones should fuse together nicely after the 2nd surgery and the recuperation should hopefully be speedier.

thanks to the Mod who moved this to the Cafe :)

and thanks, Sycron, for looking out for Mihaita!

Lord Xeb
September 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM
You kitty is looking good. Glad to hear that it is doing much better. Keep me posted. Also, the people who tried to kill the cat might have tried to super-glue its mouth shut then beat it to death.... or at least that is what I got from your discription. Who would do such a thing? Especially to a kitten.

notwen
September 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Wowzers, just read this thread from start to finish. I'm a huge cat lover, me and my fiance have 3 cats.

I'm glad that you've stuck by him from start and hope all goes well on the 2nd surgery. Keep us informed, Mihaita certainly looks better and the youth of the cat should only help in the recovery.

Congratz to you for having such strong-willed cat and congratz to Mihaita for having such a caring person to come across and look after it. =]

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Thank all of you for taking care :) .

FuturePilot
September 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Keep taking good care of him. I hope he gets better soon so he can enjoy all the things little kitties enjoy :)

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Right now he's sleeping in my arms. :) He's so cute.

SomeGuyDude
September 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well, thanks for tearing my heart out of my chest, throwing it against a wall, then carefully mending it and putting it back in. This is a rollercoaster of a thread, good gravy.

Definitely glad the cat's all right, those pictures on page 1 are awful. I admire your dedication.

Sycron
September 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Well, thanks for tearing my heart out of my chest, throwing it against a wall, then carefully mending it and putting it back in. This is a rollercoaster of a thread, good gravy.

Definitely glad the cat's all right, those pictures on page 1 are awful. I admire your dedication.

You said it nice :).

Gorgoth
September 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Goofy looking street cats always survive the oddest things. My family had a Maine Coon cat that was a stray that originally, and had survived a half dozen various major events, from being hit by cars, to being attacked by a fox.

I think it made him a little cocky, because after the fight with the fox, this cat would seemingly intentionally pick fights with other critters far larger than it.

Sadly the mangy runt developed leukemia a couple years ago, and we ended up having to have him euthanized. Vet said at the time that he was a minimum of 15 years old, but most likely closer to 20.

Bah, just typing that out makes me miss him.

Tristam Green
September 25th, 2008, 07:44 PM
haha, my oldest cat (now pushing 15 himself) had a habit as a kitten of climbing this gangly pine sapling in our front yard, and backing himself down it! Around 1-2 years old he crawled up behind our computer desk, and ended up shocking himself from a power outlet - his whiskers are still a little twisted on the ends from that lol.

I love cats; they're fragile yet a very hardy animal (Hardier than the Heron, I would submit!)

Keyper7
September 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I only found out about this thread today.

Sycron, as someone who loves cats but can't have one (because no one else in my house does), I just want to say I really admire your dedication. All the best for the kitty.

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 10:56 PM
This is one thread that makes your heart fill with joy.

bobbocanfly
September 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Just read this thread from the beginning and its brilliant! Hope Mihaita pulls through the surgery.

Irihapeti
October 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
How is Mihăiţă getting on? When does he have his second operation?

Private_Ops
October 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
How is Mihăiţă getting on? When does he have his second operation?

+1 I just read the whole thread.

I love cats (have two myself) and hope the best for him.

Sycron
October 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I spoke with the vet and the second surgery will be next week.

lukjad
October 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
That's nice to know. I hopw all goes well.
By the way, the word you are looking for is spoke, not spoeaked. :) Just thought you might want to know.

Sycron
October 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
That's nice to know. I hopw all goes well.
By the way, the word you are looking for is spoke, not spoeaked. :) Just thought you might want to know.

Thank you buddy!

lukjad
October 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Any time friend.

Amorphous_Snake
October 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
God bless you, Sycron.

Thanks for everything you did for this poor cat.

I am a Muslim, and we have a saying by our Prophet that goes like this: A person went to Heaven for giving water to a thirsty dog in the desert that was licking stone searching for water near a will that it couldn't go into. And another went to Hell for locking up a cat and not feeding it or allowing it to go free to feed in God's wide open land, till it died.

Sorry for the poor translation.

By the way that's my cat in the photo. His name is Bondok (means chestnut in Arabic) he is 2.5 years old.

Sycron
October 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
That cat is very nice, lol. I love her eyes.

Amorphous_Snake
October 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
That cat is very nice, lol. I love her eyes.

Thanks...

I hope your cat becomes fine and plays like normal cats.

God bless you again. You really did a remarkable thing that proves that there will always be good in people.

Bungo Pony
October 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Just found this thread... Poor kitty! He's lucky to have you to depend on in such a time of need.

My cat's approx 14 years old. He's the cat I've had the longest. I'm not looking forward to the day of his passing. He's a lovable old bag of fur :)

kittywittys
October 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
wow....this story made me almost cry. What you are doing for this cat is amazing. You are such a nice person. Most people i know would not spend so much time on a cat like you do. Please keep posting updates about him. I hope everything goes ok next week during his last surgery. Thank you for saving this cats life.:D

blastus
October 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
That little guy is so cute. With all the love and care I know he'll do well.

Amorphous_Snake
October 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sycron,

What and how are you feeding him now? And how is he doing with the litter box?

Sycron
October 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
with flash meal or how it's named.

Amorphous_Snake
October 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
What is flash meal?

And is he doing with his box? I know that cats in stress refuse to use their boxes and simply do it anywhere!

samjh
October 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Many kudos to you for your dedication.

I doubted the cat would survive, but you've done an awesome job looking after it. :)

Hurrah for Sycron and Mihaita! :guitar:

Sycron
October 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
What is flash meal?
fresh meat and fresh raw liver

And is he doing with his box? I know that cats in stress refuse to use their boxes and simply do it anywhere!

He is doing his jobs in the bathtub. When he's MEEEEWWWW-ing i have to put him there and wait 30secs.

lukjad
October 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Cute. "Bathtub" is one word by the way. Also "Tub" and "Bath" are used commonly although "Bath" less so.

albeano2004
October 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
"Bath" less so.

Depends where you come from ;). Nice to hear that the cat is getting better, really great what you are doing :)

NullHead
October 5th, 2008, 05:39 AM
fresh meat and fresh raw liver

He is doing his jobs in the bathtub. When he's MEEEEWWWW-ing i have to put him there and wait 30secs.

So he's mewing now, but can he open up his mouth at all? Can he chew normal cat foods?

lukjad
October 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM
@albeano2004
I guess so.

@NullHead
Define "normal". Do you mean wet foods or dry foods?

Chessmaster
October 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I realise you have named the cat already, but reading this thread before I did think that "Diesel" was a cool name for a cat when you said he "sounds like a diesel (engine)" as in purr.

NullHead
October 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
@albeano2004
I guess so.

@NullHead
Define "normal". Do you mean wet foods or dry foods?

Well, either/or I guess.

Sycron
October 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
He can open the mouth but can't close it 100% because of a fracture. He can just swallow things but not chew them. Well, Diesel Mihaita is a great name.

If everything will be fine, tomorrow I'll speak with the vet about the second surgery.

lukjad
October 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Diesel Mihaita... Interesting. :D I hope all goes well.