PDA

View Full Version : Which version of ubuntu is the best?

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Well, i have an older computer and hardy haron, well is being hard.

so what version do you use?
Which would be a good bet for a cpu who's hardware dates back to 2004 or below.

thanks.

and, what version do you use?

barbedsaber
September 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Xubuntu 8.04, you may want to install it from the alternative CD.

dixon
September 3rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Maybe it would be better if you write your computer specs...

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Specs

256mb RDR ram
P4 2.4ghz single core
Nvidia GeForce 4 mx 420

but what versions do you guys use?

Bragador
September 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Specs

256mb RDR ram
P4 2.4ghz single core
Nvidia GeForce 4 mx 420

but what versions do you guys use?

My thinkpad is 1.2 ghz and 256 ram. I have ubuntu 7.10 and it's a bit slow but I didn't change it since I'm lazy.

The xubuntu suggestion is a great suggestion and you should try it. It's not as complete as gnome (though I never tried it) but speed is what is important here.

Sycron
September 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
try #! CrunchBang Linux , it's based on ubuntu, with openbox, xfce.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
i tried xubuntu but i didnt care for it. it installed and worked great don't get me wrong, but i didnt like the xfce at all.

and with hardy haron im having trouble with my video card,

Also whenever i use Unetbootin to install ubuntu 7.04 i always get busy box =(

Null81
try #! CrunchBang Linux , it's based on ubuntu, with openbox, xfce.

lookin into it.

Bachstelze
As far as I'm concerned, the latest has always meant the best.

Anyway, just add a bit of RAM and you'll be fine with whatever Ubuntu. Otherwise, go with something lighter than Gnome, like XFCE.

snowpine
September 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I am assuming you want to stay within the Ubuntu family (since this is the Ubuntu Forums). Here are some options for that computer:

Official releases: Xubuntu 8.04
Unofficial "remixes": Crunchbang 8.04, Fluxbuntu 7.10

If you step outside the 'Buntu family, there are a million options, ranging from Debian (quite similar to Ubuntu but a bit faster) to Slitaz (very lightweight and fast, but lacking many of Ubuntu's features).

Do you have an existing Ubuntu install that you wish to keep, or are you starting from scratch? Because Xubuntu is very easy to install on top of Ubuntu (sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop), while the others are trickier.

ps Upgrading ram from 256 to 512 (or even 384) makes a huge difference.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
for the ram response, can't. RDR ram was a "test" i think they tested rdr and ddr. ddr won. it costs lots of money to get rdr ram, as it isnt in production anymore.

and i am trying to stay in ubuntu, because i dont have a cd-rw drive, and unetbootin isnt working so well.

And i dont think i can use hardy heron, maybe it is just the default ubuntu that does this but xubuntu and kubuntu did it to, see my other thread for details. cus its long.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
downloading crunchbang and fluxbuntu

hopefully these wont bug up cus of my graphics card.

david_lynch
September 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm running my firewall/dns/dhcp on an old PIII-450 w/ 256 MB RAM (BIOS dated 1999) Powered by hardy heron server, works fine. However if you want a desktop on such a memory starved configuration I'd echo the recommendation of xubuntu as the others have. I previously ran opensuse with xcfe on that hardware, and it provided acceptable performance.

snowpine
September 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
i tried xubuntu but i didnt care for it. it installed and worked great don't get me wrong, but i didnt like the xfce at all.

and with hardy haron im having trouble with my video card,

What don't you like about Xfce? It is very customizable, so maybe you can "tweak" it to your satisfaction. The reason why Xubuntu is my first pick for you is that it has the best support, by far. You need to look harder for answers if you have any problems with Crunchbang or (especially) Fluxbuntu.

That being said, I personally love them all. :)

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
as i stated my cd-rw drive is busted and unetbotin is not working at all.

is there any way to install these without a cd?

i have the two iso's atm

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
What don't you like about Xfce? It is very customizable, so maybe you can "tweak" it to your satisfaction. The reason why Xubuntu is my first pick for you is that it has the best support, by far. You need to look harder for answers if you have any problems with Crunchbang or (especially) Fluxbuntu.

That being said, I personally love them all. :)

what i didnt like about xfce is that it was harder to navigate through than gnome. and xubuntu did the same thing as regular ubuntu to my graphics card.

snowpine
September 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
what i didnt like about xfce is that it was harder to navigate through than gnome. and xubuntu did the same thing as regular ubuntu to my graphics card.

If you're finding Xubuntu hard to navigate, I definitely would not recommend Fluxbuntu. It requires a lot more configuration and command line, plus it does not have a big community online to help you like with Ubuntu/Xubuntu.

If you're having trouble with your video card in Ubuntu, switching to Xubuntu/Fluxbuntu/Crunchbang etc. will probably not fix it. They are all the same "core" system with different windows managers. I see you've already made a thread about your video problems, so hopefully someone will be able to help you there. Good luck!

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
thanks.

well, my thread didnt attract much help (the graphics card one) and i guess ubuntu is not right for me, unfortunately im a bit hesistent to try anything else, but i dont know how to install it without using a cd-rw drive.

can you help me there?

snowpine
September 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
thanks.

well, my thread didnt attract much help (the graphics card one) and i guess ubuntu is not right for me, unfortunately im a bit hesistent to try anything else, but i dont know how to install it without using a cd-rw drive.

can you help me there?

I've only ever used a CD to install, sorry. I hear there is a program called Unetbootin, but I've never personally tried it.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
unetbootin sucks, i always run itno errors with it.

tenghoward
September 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
For me, Xubuntu worked very well. Especially it is lighter and faster. I want to try Fluxbuntu though.

Trumpet-205

technotitclan
September 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
if your sys is using RDR your best bet would be to replace the mobo with a slightly newer one so you have more mem options.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
i was thinking on that, but i would need to probably replace a number of other things, seeing as this is a dell and dell is known for its, how do you say, inability to build upon, and because it is an older model i think that a better bet would be saving up for a new cpu, seeing as my b'day is in a week i might get money from that =]

Bragador
September 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Awh man I hate it when this happens. It's sad that you can't properly play with ubuntu right now.

Hang in there and come back to us when you get your new computer :(

technotitclan
September 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
unless you have one of thouse low profile dell's then replacing the whole mobo would eliminate any incompadibility. keep an eye on ebay and creigslist i got my 2.4 p4 mobo for $50 on ebay w/ cpu and heatsink still on it.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
i have a Dimension 8250

so i will probably find a different distro, but i need to find one where i can install without a cd like ubuntu.

snowpine
September 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Dells are generally speaking quite Ubuntu compatible. I am running 8.04 on a Dell Latitude laptop that is a 500mhz P3 with 384mb of ram. It's much older than your Dell. :)

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
if it works good on yours, then why wont it work good on mine?

billgoldberg
September 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Well, i have an older computer and hardy haron, well is being hard.

so what version do you use?
Which would be a good bet for a cpu who's hardware dates back to 2004 or below.

thanks.

and, what version do you use?

Heron.

It has the best hardware support from all Ubuntu versions.

snowpine
September 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM

Different video card, plus I have a little more ram.
I think if you can solve your video card problem and install Xubuntu or Crunchbang, you'll be a happy camper. :)

billgoldberg
September 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM

Every computer is different.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
yeah.

i just gotta figure out this video card thing, and with no knowlege of this stuff whatso-ever. well im stuck.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
has anyone ever used slax?

technotitclan
September 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
could be more than your cd drive is failing. other than ubuntu i might recomend opensuse. i had similar problems on a 800MHz AMD. turned out some of the copasitors were fried. again i might recomend just a new mobo. honestly regular ubuntu 8.04 is a sweet os.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
im going to reinstall xubuntu, artificial intelligence (forum staff) just posted in my graphics card thing so maybe i can get some help.

technotitclan
September 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
has anyone ever used slax?

i'm in the process of trying it on virtualbox but don't relly think you'll like it if you didn't xubuntu then you won't like any of the slackware distro's they require alot more command line and adjusting to suit your needs.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
well, i downloaded it. maybe i can boot it off my ipod. hah, i use my ipod as a usb sometimes.

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
no luck

Null81
September 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
gunna try sabayon

technotitclan
September 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
if you really want a usb bootable linux you may wanna try damn small linux orfeather linux. thouse are made for usb

Null81
September 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

it was my monitor!