PDA

View Full Version : Launching a Free Software Community at my school

realitybites
September 2nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hi all,
I've been planning to do this for months, recently i talked to administration and they're ok with it.
What i'm gonna do is this:
Our university doesn't have many students (only around 4000-5000). Therefore it is easier to make something spread. I thought, why not spread the free software spirit? developer or non-developer, this community will target everyone.

What i'm asking you is, do you have any suggestions for us, what can we do? For example, one day i am planning to give a live tutorial for installing a distro, for those who want to but don't know how to or afraid to do so. I also want to gather our developers and build a local open-source community... Things like these.
I will really appreciate any suggestions

Erdaron
September 3rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Perhaps turning people on to stuff like Open Office, AbiWord, and GIMP would be another way to introduce them to OSS? They can try this stuff without letting go of whatever they've been using with their existing MacOS / Windows systems.

OSS games, perhaps?

jimi_hendrix
September 3rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
a live wine tutorial to go with the distro one (i could use it)

Lord Xeb
September 3rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Put something up about the tutorial in a social area or ask to put it on the annoucements :D

smartboyathome
September 3rd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Mention it to the people you know, and let word of mouth let it spread. That is what I do, and it doesn't make anyone mad. Also, try having them try free software replacements like the poster before mentioned. Work with your laptop and when people ask what it is, tell them and mention the goods and the bads. Before you go out there though and do this, read the bolded link in my sig below, it may help you avoid preaching it. :)

realitybites
September 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
thanks for the ideas everyone! please keep'em comin':)

IT department already supports open source (mainly openoffice, firefox, etc) so it will be easy to realize them that they are free software (people use them but don't know what they are)
i liked the wine tutorial idea:)
yes, i will announce this and put posters around, and will start with a introductory meeting just to meet people
and lastly, my intentions are definitely not preaching linux, this project won't be about linux, but of course it is a big part of it. also i think that, as you mentioned in the link, when people are getting used to the free software spirit, they will get curious more and more. heck, i guess creating the curiosity is my main aim, i just realized that now, thanks for the spark:)