PDA

View Full Version : ./configure not found after installing build essentials!

jason_65c02
November 16th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Noob here - LOVE breezy!!!

Can't compile one of my simple progs from source though... ](*,)

I've installed "build-essentials", which looks like it installed make. (from adept)
but ./configure gives "no such file or dir"

I know it's something simple... :D

Thanks a million for relief from MICROSOFT HELL! =D>

reedlaw
November 16th, 2005, 07:55 AM
What directory are you in when you run ./configure?
I assume you have done a tar -xvzf program.tgz and then cd program/ before you did ./configure?

jason_65c02
November 16th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I'm in the source dir for the program i'm trying to compile. (under my home/jason/ dir...)

lcg
November 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I'm in the source dir for the program i'm trying to compile. (under my home/jason/ dir...)
Maybe I'm asking the obvious here, but is there a configure script in that directory? And do you have execute permissions for that script?

A configure script comes with the software you are trying to build, not with the build-essentials.

HTH,
Lars

jason_65c02
November 16th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for asking "the obvious" - it's welcome. Although the answer is yes AFAIK - this is source I compiled successfully about 6 years ago on mandrake - God only knows how - and promptly abandoned due to business reasons. Now I'm reviving it.

I have the MAKEFILE and .C and .H files, and do (I think) have "execute" permissions for the .C script (do you really "execute" .C script???) the makefile/.c/.h are in a subdir of my home dir - so whatever permissions are set by defult install of Breezy...

UPDATE:
MY BAD: I DON'T HAVE A ./CONFIGURE (I forgot CONFIGURE was provided by some source progs - but not the one I'm trying to compile. The "INSTALL" doc that came with the source says:

$CD <src dir>
$MAKE
$SU MAKE INSTALL (i prob should do $SUDO MAKE INSTALL -- is this ok?)

and that's it.

****HOWEVER:*****
I still have a MAKE problem:
I get lots of "GTK-CONFIG NOT FOUND" errors.

I've already added GTK-CONFIG to the path with
$PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
$export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

(whats the diff between 'pkgconfig' and 'pkg-config'? I found both with 'locate')

Thanks!!!! I'm getting there..... ;-)

JohnnyMast
December 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
A configure script comes with the software you are trying to build, not with the build-essentials.

Well not always, sometimes it happends that a configure scripts does not exst. I can take mailutils (By GNU) for example.

After extracting it from there cvs respo* there is only Makefile.cvs, if this ever happens to you take the following steps

$ make -f Makefile.cvs

An other scenario is if there is no Makefile.cvs but configure.ac (or configure.in) run there 2 commands.

$ autoconf
$ automake

If you dont have these commands on your system apt-get install the following packages

automake1.8
autoconf1.4

These are commonly the most used development tools.

cheers,

Johnny Mast

lcg
December 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'm asking the obvious here, but is there a configure script in that directory? And do you have execute permissions for that script?

Well not always, sometimes it happends that a configure scripts does not exst. I can take mailutils (By GNU) for example.
You really should read the whole thread or at least my posting. ;)

I am well aware of the fact that some programs come without a configure script.
The original poster asked how to compile a program which complained when he tried to './configure'. I then told him to check if there even was a configure script for that software. Because configure scripts come with the software (if the software has one), not with the build-essentials package.

Lars

voltage
February 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM

After extracting it from there cvs respo* there is only Makefile.cvs, if this ever happens to you take the following steps

$ make -f Makefile.cvs

An other scenario is if there is no Makefile.cvs but configure.ac (or configure.in) run there 2 commands.

$ autoconf
$ automake

If you dont have these commands on your system apt-get install the following packages

automake1.8
autoconf1.4

These are commonly the most used development tools.

cheers,

Johnny Mast

Hi,

I also facing the missing of configure script too... then after I read though the instruction above, I try to locate the Makefile.cvs and configure.ac (or configure.in) also not in list. Due to this, do you have any ideal to tell me ? If yes ... Please include those step to show me .. sorry to give you troble .. because i were really very fresh from Ubuntu ..

Thanks ..

hod139
February 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Is there a README file or an INSTALL file?