PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] kdeinit4 cannot start

erickghint
September 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
So I finished the install, and after some thought on DE, I decided to go with KDE. I'm using Gnome in Ubuntu, and wanted to try something different. After installing KDE, I can get to the login screen, but after that I get a small pop-up that states
Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation.

I'm using the current recommended drivers from nVidia, and I really don't know where to go from here. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to research the answer, and I've come up with nothing. I've seen other people with the same or similar problems, however I can't find a workaround. Most people have either fixed it and not stated how, or the solutions that I've found don't work. If for any reason there isn't a viable solution, can I just remove everything with pacman -Rc , or do I have to uninstall it via another method, and go with say... xfce? Any and all help would be much appreciated.

&wP*!)
September 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
So I finished the install, and after some thought on DE, I decided to go with KDE. I'm using Gnome in Ubuntu, and wanted to try something different. After installing KDE, I can get to the login screen, but after that I get a small pop-up that states
Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation.

I'm using the current recommended drivers from nVidia, and I really don't know where to go from here. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to research the answer, and I've come up with nothing. I've seen other people with the same or similar problems, however I can't find a workaround. Most people have either fixed it and not stated how, or the solutions that I've found don't work. If for any reason there isn't a viable solution, can I just remove everything with pacman -Rc , or do I have to uninstall it via another method, and go with say... xfce? Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Hi Erick, I had exactly the same problem. This is related to desktop environment KDE, not Linux.

Login in failsafe mode first. To identify desktop environment problems, kdm in DAEMONS entry of /etc/rc.conf must be disabled (by adding ! character in front of kdm in DAEMONS entry). Save the file. Go next step.

Reboot. Now in this case if you login, you will get command line session. Just start
startxYou will get the messages from X server, to see where the problem is.

The problem is, some ssh program integrated in KDE could not load a special version of shared library libxml2 or whatever. Repository must be updated to clean such a kind of version mismatches between the programs in Linux. See below.

To solve such problems, right after
pacman -S kdeThe complete package repository must be updated:
pacman -Syy
pacman -SyuTake the change in /etc/rc.conf I told you above, back, ie. remove ! character in front of the kdm.

To all these things in the previous session (command line).
Reboot. Try to login again. You will see the problem vanished.

I know, this is not addressed in any document in the world. Nothing is perfect, as you can see..

erickghint
September 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thank you so much :)