PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is GNOME Slow or.........

sqlpython
September 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 lts. I usually would install Kubuntu but I had mislabeled the disk and thought aw, what the heck. :) I hadn't used GNOME in some time ( a year or more). I usually use KDE or xFCE.
The install went fine except on the liveCD the Broadcom Wifi installed right from the Hardware Tool and downloaded the firmware. Once the HD install was done the tool would not work and I ended up doing a wget to b43-fwcutter and then a b43-fwcutter -w to install the driver. Go figure.. huh?

Anyhow, I don't ever remember GNOME doing so much Greying Out and Calculating/Freezing while I waited for simple Mouse clicks in apps. Firefox and Nautilus were prime offenders. Using an Inspiron dual amd64 2gb mem 256mb video.
Can anyone shed some light on the Slow GNOME reactions?

manishtech
September 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have less specs than your system, but GNOME works like charm on my system. I havnt used KDE, did use sometimes but am usually on GNOME all the time.

I really love GNOME, after all its all choice.

SkonesMickLoud
September 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
GNOME is a bit more bloated and thus slower than KDE and XFCE, but meh. It's about preference. Personally, I'll trade a bit of performance for something I'm used to.

Installing KDE and XFCE is quite simple. Either:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

And/or:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

To remove any of them, just do:

sudo aptitude remove ubuntu-desktop/kubuntu-desktop/xubuntu-desktop

Obviously, you'll want to leave at least one or it's CLI for you!

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Same as stated above, I got a older computer that I rarely use and Ubuntu runs flawlessly on it.

Sef
September 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM
GNOME is a bit more bloated and thus slower than KDE and XFCE

GNOME and KDE are about the same. XFCE is lighter.

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah I'd say XFCE is a lot light, I have a lot of old machines running Xubuntu perfectly. :)

SkonesMickLoud
September 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
GNOME and KDE are about the same. XFCE is lighter.

Eh, it depends. GNOME slows me down just a bit, while KDE and XFCE run faster but are about neck and neck with XFCE just an iota faster.

Then again, I use GNOME a lot more than I use KDE or XFCE, and have more running in the background in a GNOME session than the other 2.

ronnielsen1
September 5th, 2008, 01:07 PM
GNOME is a bit more bloated and thus slower than KDE and XFCE

Not been my experience. I've had computers that would run gnome but not kde and xfce has always been on the slower side of the lightweight wm's for me

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
That's really weird, usually XCFE runs a bit smoother (on older machines) than GNOME.

Anzan
September 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Desktop environments are all slow. Using their components as you choose with a window manager like Fluxbox or Openbox gives you a great deal more freedom, flexibility, and speed.

manishtech
September 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
GNOME is a bit more bloated
My experience is just the reverse