PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu help

solo10
September 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hello all. I've downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 and made a bootable CD out of the ISO image. After putting in the CD and booting the computer up I reach the main menu. I then click "Install Ubuntu", nothing happened so I left it alone for an hour or so thinking that it was going to take awhile to get it going. However, after that hour nothing happened, even though I pressed enter on the Install Ubuntu I could still navigate through the many different options. I rebooted my computer several times trying out all of the available options. I am in the process of downloading the alternate 8.04.1, but I don't think it will work. I always leave posting on forums as the last resort because I figure I'll find the answer from somebody else asking. No such luck. This isn't a big deal but I would like to get Ubuntu up and running, because of my distaste for Windows. Any help would be great.

Dell Dimension 4300c

P4 1.6 ghz
512 mb RAM
Nvidia 5200FX
200gig Hard drive
4x DVD burner drive

prematurebaby
September 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
the way you tell its working is when it says "Loading Linux Kernel" but otherwise im not sure whats wrong. Maybe try safe graphics mode, or other options.

solo10
September 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
New info. The alternate 8.04.1 Ubuntu actually allows me to go through the installation process but it won't go through all of the installation. I think it says something about hardware, but I can't remember.