PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] instal help from cd 7.10

madshad
September 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
im not sure what is going wrong, ubuntu 7 loads from disk but is real sluggish. i click the install icon, a few minutes later a white box pops up titled 'install', and does nothing after that. i have it on safe graphics mode but the pointer sometimes disappears or moves very sluggish.

i think that maybe the cd drive is bad and dirty, i was wondering if i could just get ubuntu to directly install from disk. unless the problem is the computer not being able to handle it

trying to install on a emachine w2646

CPU Type: 2.60GHz Intel Celeron
Hard Drive Bus: Ultra ATA/100
Standard Memory: 256 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 2.0 GB
Celeron 2.6GHz Processor / 256MB RAM / 40GB Hard Drive

also operating system crash and recovery disks are damaged, so there is no OS on this machine at all

thanks for you help :)

Partyboi2
September 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Have you tried to install with the gusty alternate cd (http://releases.ubuntu.com/gutsy/)?

Edit: If you can boot from usb, you could try installing from usb stick. See here
(http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html)

oilchangeguy
September 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
im not sure what is going wrong, ubuntu 7 loads from disk but is real sluggish. i click the install icon, a few minutes later a white box pops up titled 'install', and does nothing after that. i have it on safe graphics mode but the pointer sometimes disappears or moves very sluggish.

i think that maybe the cd drive is bad and dirty, i was wondering if i could just get ubuntu to directly install from disk. unless the problem is the computer not being able to handle it

trying to install on a emachine w2646

CPU Type: 2.60GHz Intel Celeron
Hard Drive Bus: Ultra ATA/100
Standard Memory: 256 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 2.0 GB
Celeron 2.6GHz Processor / 256MB RAM / 40GB Hard Drive

also operating system crash and recovery disks are damaged, so there is no OS on this machine at all

thanks for you help :)

no matter what operating system you install, there's no excuse for only having 256mb of ram in a computer that supports 2gb. ram is cheap. you should have no less than 1gb.

snowpine
September 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
More ram is the best suggestion. With only 256mb, you'll need to use the Alternate CD (live CD won't work) and performance will be sluggish. Xubuntu would be a better fit if for some reason upgrading your ram is not an option.

madshad
September 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
thanks for your help, im researching memory upgrades and downloading zubuntu for the time being.