PDA

View Full Version : Old threads

Bakon Jarser
September 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I understand the reason behind discontinuing old threads but sometimes the author keeps the thread up to date. Deciding if a thread belongs in the archive should be done by the date it was last updated instead of the date it was created. This would allow threads to cover multiple versions of Ubuntu and would eliminate having to recreate perfectly good guides.

sstusick
September 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I agree.

LaRoza
September 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
I understand the reason behind discontinuing old threads but sometimes the author keeps the thread up to date. Deciding if a thread belongs in the archive should be done by the date it was last updated instead of the date it was created. This would allow threads to cover multiple versions of Ubuntu and would eliminate having to recreate perfectly good guides.

No, it is easily determined by when the thread was created. If the thread was created by an earlier version of vBulletin (which isn't totally compatible), it is in the Archive.

drubin
September 3rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
No, it is easily determined by when the thread was created. If the thread was created by an earlier version of vBulletin (which isn't totally compatible), it is in the Archive.

But how are they search able still?

Joeb454
September 3rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
vBulletin magic ;)

I remember jdong telling me how it worked, but I can't remember now, it was on IRC at the time.

drubin
September 3rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
vBulletin magic ;)

I remember jdong telling me how it worked, but I can't remember now, it was on IRC at the time.

Thanks for the informative answer. Detailed explained every thing.

Kinda similar to "I would post the answer if i knew it..." hehe

schauerlich
September 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the informative answer. Detailed explained every thing.

Kinda similar to "I would post the answer if i knew it..." hehe

Thanks for the sarcastic answer. :D

jdong is on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net if you're really curious.

LaRoza
September 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the sarcastic answer. :D

jdong is on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net if you're really curious.

Or on this forum.

schauerlich
September 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
On on this forum.

On on or off on?

jpeddicord
September 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
On on or off on?

Yes.

schauerlich
September 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Yes.

Right, well, that clears it up.

Bakon Jarser
September 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM

So what you're saying is that hundreds of threads were killed for a software upgrade? I hope the new features were worth it. I'm sure a program to migrate the old threads to the new system wouldn't have been too much of a challenge. Will this be happening again in the future?

LaRoza
September 3rd, 2008, 02:17 AM
So what you're saying is that hundreds of threads were killed for a software upgrade?
No. They were open for a while. At the time the archive was closed, it was more trouble than it was worth. We get constant complaints from people trying to post in it. We got constantly bumped threads on topics there were not at all current, and almost the entire section was dying. It was closed because of its age and of the hassle.

Useful threads were migrated to the new forums often.

I hope the new features were worth it.
They were.

I'm sure a program to migrate the old threads to the new system wouldn't have been too much of a challenge.
Are you kidding? :-) The migration took weeks of planning and testing and still wasn't flawless and that was just to get it working.

Will this be happening again in the future?

Well, this was the first time in 4 years, so I don't see it happening often.

cyberdork33
September 3rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
The threads still exist... It's not like they were deleted or something. If you have something to ask and an archived thread is relevant to your situation, start a new thread and include a link to the archived thread.

Bakon Jarser
September 3rd, 2008, 04:22 AM
The threads still exist... It's not like they were deleted or something. If you have something to ask and an archived thread is relevant to your situation, start a new thread and include a link to the archived thread.

Yeah, like I said they're dead. You can still look at their corpses but that's about it. Anybody that kept their old threads up to date or monitored them to offer continued support is SOL.

LaRoza
September 3rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Yeah, like I said they're dead. You can still look at their corpses but that's about it. Anybody that kept their old threads up to date or monitored them to offer continued support is SOL.

That is wrong. Many people remade their threads for the new forums. No one was denied the oppurtunity.

Artificial Intelligence
September 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
This message has been deleted by Oldsoldier2003. Reason: on second thought i'll leave this discussion alone

oh no...you don't!!! :)

LaRoza
September 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
oh no...you don't!!! :)

I liked his response...

cyberdork33
September 3rd, 2008, 05:08 PM

That is wrong. Many people remade their threads for the new forums. No one was denied the oppurtunity.
In addition, if you asked nicely, I bet one of the mods would add a link in the archived thread to the new thread you start with a note that it is now being updated here...