PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Synaptics package manager in Ubuntu Studio?

Bucky Ball
September 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hi all. Recently installed Hardy Ubuntu Studio on the desktop. Couple of differences from the stock Ubuntu but nothing wild. Except - there seems to be no synaptics package manager. Can I download this or am I missing something? I am keen to download a few things (rhythmbox for one).

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I have heard Adept is another option but have never used. Will have a look later. :)

Elfy
September 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
See if it is installed first, run

whereis synaptic

If it returns with a result, then run
alacarte and check that synaptic is not disabled.

Bucky Ball
September 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Legend. Why didn't I think of that? Sure enough, it was disabled. Thanks forestpixie. One other question whilst you are here ... in terminal, I usually hit the up arrow and it gives the last command I typed. Now I am just getting a code for the key. What's with that? Any idea? :)

Elfy
September 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yes - good when it's simple :) other thing though... not sure what you mean - can you post an example.

Bucky Ball
September 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry about the delay. Was having problems with my keyboard which was fixed but has now gone right out the window and I seem to be getting all sorts going on (bits of other languages and keys giving unexpected results!).

See this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=907989

I am typing from the laptop as the desktop keyboard is on vacation but was fine a when I last posted. Done nothing since fix!!! :(