PDA

View Full Version : What all stuff you can do with PS3?

crazyfuturamanoob
September 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
What all stuff you can do with PS3 + Ubuntu/other Linux version?
Can you use mouse and keyboard with it? Can you use it just like
this laptop? Or is gaming the only thing it is capable of?

jeyaganesh
September 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I use PS3 only for game and movies. I heard it provide only less RAM memory for other OS.

billgoldberg
September 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM
What all stuff you can do with PS3 + Ubuntu/other Linux version?
Can you use mouse and keyboard with it? Can you use it just like
this laptop? Or is gaming the only thing it is capable of?

You can install Ubuntu 7.10 on it (it needs a special version) or Yellow Dog Linux (special PS3 distro).

However, wireless will be a pain in the *** to get working (Sony likes to break that function for no reason).

USB keyboard and mouse will work.

I believe the ps3 only has 256mb of ram memory and if you install linux on it, it can't access the GPU (choose of Sony).

So don't expect super performance. It should be workable though (especially when you install something like fluxbox).
--

The PS3 itself can also be used with a keyboard and mouse (for when browsing the web or playing games (not all games support this).

And you can use a PS3 as a media center.

It can play Blu-Ray, has a internal harddrive, can connect to your UPnP server or can play stuff from a flash drive, external HDD (need special folder structure and only reads fat32).

If you need an UPnP server for Ubuntu, use MediaTomb.

It has support for a lot of codecs, think divx, mp3, xvid, ...

And last but not least, gaming.

The PS3 has the best specs of all the consoles.

Games are still on par with xbox360 for now, but once the programmers get better, so will the games on PS3 compared to Xbox 360.

That and playing online (accessing the internet) is free. Unlike other consoles (xbox360 is something like €60 a year, the Wii charges for their browser).

That also means free demos, artwork, ...

Ripfox
September 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
I set up wpa2 wireless on mine in 3 minutes...it was as easy as 123. Also, I just tried the Hardy Xubuntu PS3 daily build and it's still broken. God I wish someone would fix that sucker :)

crazyfuturamanoob
September 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks.