PDA

View Full Version : Here's a good reason not to use Windows in schools

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZJDP2dvU1Q
Hell I'm going to do that when I get to school.

helliewm
September 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
That is frightening. I worried about our systems now.

Helen

barbedsaber
September 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
I am saving up for a 16gb thumbdrive, probably gonna but xubi on it, for school. I can get a hell of a lot more work done in a *buntu environment than XP at school. (hope I can still get the network though.)

OK, that video is awesome, I have to err, go and do err work and... yeah, I might take this ubuntu livecd with me though, never no when it might come in handy.

EnGorDiaz
September 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
*sigh* most technicians at schools ensure this doesnt happen they usaly stop these command from happening anyway this guy on there was doing it on his comp most technicians who work for the schools ensure that most user admin and also serverdrives dont show by making these exploits un usable

EnGorDiaz
September 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
I am saving up for a 16gb thumbdrive, probably gonna but xubi on it, for school. I can get a hell of a lot more work done in a *buntu environment than XP at school. (hope I can still get the network though.)

OK, that video is awesome, I have to err, go and do err work and... yeah, I might take this ubuntu livecd with me though, never no when it might come in handy.

but that would work :P

EnGorDiaz
September 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
That is frightening. I worried about our systems now.

Helen

if you have a good technician you wont have that crap only takes six lines of the command prompt

ChanServ
September 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
or you could just wipe the drive once you get into Linux :P

barbedsaber
September 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Easier to just use gparted.

Stex
September 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Not all that impressive since running another OS on a computer gives you full access to anything anyway. This hack just lets you use windows to edit stuff instead of the linux distro you used to edit the system files.

It brings the theoretical ability to edit everything to an easy reality, but there's no escalation of privileges from running your OS.

mrt88
September 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
i didn't realise it would be quite that easy to do that to windows, sorta explains how some of my old students hacked into the system and installed ubuntu on 2 machines in their it room and vista on another machine

i still never worked out why they installed vista on one of the machines though

Daveski
September 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
i didn't realise it would be quite that easy to do that to windows, sorta explains how some of my old students hacked into the system and installed ubuntu on 2 machines in their it room and vista on another machine

What? What did the video show? It has been pulled now.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Uh, as far as I can click, it's still there.
(By the way, while one could theoretically edit all the files in Linux, one can't execute certain programs in Linux.
Also, this way one could add a super privileged user and install fun applications without having to reboot the computer _every single time_ into a Linux USB drive/CD)

SomeGuyDude
September 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Not all that impressive since running another OS on a computer gives you full access to anything anyway. This hack just lets you use windows to edit stuff instead of the linux distro you used to edit the system files.

It brings the theoretical ability to edit everything to an easy reality, but there's no escalation of privileges from running your OS.

I thought the same thing. He already had full read/write access to the NTFS drive via the LiveCD, what's the point of everything else?

Riffer
September 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Since most BIOS can be password protected, you can setup your boot sequence Not to be able to boot from a CD and shut down the bios so that only Admin can go in.

Interesting video though.

Edited to add: Yes I know you can get bios password cracks and back door passwords. On any comp if the person is persistent enough they can get in. At least if you password protect your bios it will hopefully keep the wannabees out.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I do remember that my school's computer's BIOS is unprotected.
You see, the problem is that when you have to rollout a large amount of computers, it's a PITA to go to every single one and set a BIOS password.
EDIT: Also, on the school's Dells, at the boot screen it says "press F12 to choose temporary boot sequence"

Riffer
September 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I do remember that my school's computer's BIOS is unprotected.
You see, the problem is that when you have to rollout a large amount of computers, it's a PITA to go to every single one and set a BIOS password.
EDIT: Also, on the school's Dells, at the boot screen it says "press F12 to choose temporary boot sequence"

LOL, point well taken. Yet what you say does support my point (in a way).

It would be interesting to see if a similar attack could be done on Linux.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
LOL, point well taken. Yet what you say does support my point (in a way).

It would be interesting to see if a similar attack could be done on Linux.

Yeah, I've been thinking about what files to rename.
gdm maybe?

Riffer
September 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about what files to rename.
gdm maybe?

Wouldn't that just take you to a command prompt, in which you would still have to log on?

barbedsaber
September 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Since most BIOS can be password protected,

the bios password at my school is bucket.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't that just take you to a command prompt, in which you would still have to log on?

I believe user root runs gdm, I could be wrong.

jimi_hendrix
September 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
i lost him when he said to mount something?

besides...i am really surprised that that's legal

alzie
September 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Its not legal unless you have permission. It is useful if you have to service windows boxes.

jimi_hendrix
September 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
so basically its legal to know how to hack and its legal to hack if people let you hack their machine?

Prefix100
September 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
yes

jimi_hendrix
September 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
?!?!

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
That's pretty normal.
I believe gaining access for malicious purposes under the CFAA is illegal, not sure about gaining access for benevolent purposes.