PDA

View Full Version : Any progress on the random Hardy freeze issue?

kevdog
September 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Note: Mods please feel free to move this if appropriate

I subscribe to many launchpad post regarding the random lockup issues with Hardy (if you have no idea what I'm talking about consider yourself blessed). Last I heard they were preparing a possible solution with the Ibex kernel. Any word or status on this proposed solution? Launchpad isn't really clear on timetables or informing of great solutions.

Vitamin-Carrot
September 2nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
I havent had any issues with this sort of thing but i have had alot of kernel updates since i added the server for the latest version of compiz to my sources list

novosirj
September 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I have a machine that locks up under Hardy. I tried the Ibex kernel and it did not solve the problem. So... I guess things are not going so well in that department.

zmjjmz
September 12th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I had lockup issues under Gutsy, but they seem to of disappeared with Hardy...

kevdog
September 12th, 2008, 04:31 AM
ibex alpha 5 I've heard may work for some -- haven't tried it yet or received a lot of info.

pelle.k
September 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM
After trying other distros (even running 2.6.26), and still having hard freezes, i decided to sell my notebook and buy a new one.
From now on i'm only buying linux friendly hardware, i.e. dell/intel/nvidia.
The DSDT on my LG notebook was a mess anyway. The comment from LG was, we wont fix it because it works with vista. bleh!

thisllub
September 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
It isn't just Ubuntu.
I use Arch on my AMD64 machine and it is infuriating.
It is a kernel issue.
Search any distro's forums and it will be there.

THe worst thing is that there is absolutely no indication as to what caused the problem.
It has probably been close to a year now.

My 32 bit laptop never has a problem.

I might have to migrate the machine to BSD to get away from the problem.

John164918a
September 22nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Well, my hardy used to freeze, typically when I tried to watch a movie, and I thought I had the latest kernel. Could this have been the problem and have I fixed my instance of it?:

My machine was booting from the grub on another linux partition, and it was booting an ubuntu kernel 2.16.24.14, the first one I ever used. I have never changed the menu.lst file there. ever.

So I just replaced the entry in that file. I think I am running a different kernel now because ndiswrapper has just disappeared and booting was way faster! I played a movie and no matter how much I move back and forwards through it it doesn't freeze. I'll get back though if it freezes on me again.

Thankyou!

:guitar:

kevdog
September 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
The freeze problem is a kernel issue that hasn't been isolated yet to my knowledge. Its been some time. Some scant reports from scant users seem to report that the problem is better with the latest Ibex's alpha kernel (not sure what the kernel number is with this), however again -- the reports are very scant. Its really a shame.

chibiusa255
September 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
The freezes are a problem I'm defiintely having. I had been running dapper for some time with no problems at all but decided to finally upgrade on my Gateway M350WVN laptop. I had tried running hardy when it first relaesed and had the same problem so i dropped back to dapper because I knew it worked fine... I figured that something would have been done by now but I guess not.

It seems to be related to the sound somehow. If I'm not using anythign that plays any sounds it runs fine but I get random hard lockups with anything that does. Sometimes I can't even finish listening to a single song.

This is a very frustrating problem and one that that really doesn't seem to be being dealt with. Think I'll try the ibex and see what hapens.

chibiusa255
September 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Well, I upgraded to intrepid and am runing kernel 2.6.27-3. The upgrade went fine but a few minutes of playing music and the same freeze up:frown:

It may work for some but didn't help me at all.

Sealbhach
September 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
The only freezes I've had have been caused by npviewer.bin which has got something to do with flash running on Firefox.

Doesn't happen much anymore, maybe it's been fixed by an update.