PDA

View Full Version : Hacking Linux Exposed (Not Black-Hat Related)

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
Is that book how to HACK Linux? Or rather, how to hack FROM a Linux box? I've want to know before I buy it.

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
bump

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
bump (Stop making me bump this. Give me replies already!)

tuxxy
September 2nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
Its linux related security

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Its linux related security

Thank you! God! I've been waiting for a reply for an hour! Jesus Christ! I can't believe it was so hard for the Ubuntu Community to expend 20 seconds writing that!

mellowd
September 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
it's how to hack linux boxes

more to the point it's how to secure your linux box, showing how other people can get in

mellowd
September 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Thank you! God! I've been waiting for a reply for an hour! Jesus Christ! I can't believe it was so hard for the Ubuntu Community t o expend 20 seconds writing that!

In that hour you could've read the book description off amazon

tuxxy
September 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
In that hour you could've read the book description off amazon

:lolflag:

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
The description wasn't very descriptive. Are those books basically cover ups for what they really are? Hacking books? They say they're books to keep people out. But inside, they divulge so deeply into the methods and such...Just pondering, I'd still like an answer

mellowd
September 2nd, 2008, 02:08 AM
Apparently the 3rd edition has got a few bad reviews. 3rd edition is more about how to protect your linux box. 1st and 2nd edition are more on how to actually do the hacks, as well as how to prevent them

tuxxy
September 2nd, 2008, 02:09 AM
The books will explain to you all types of security related information, how you take/use the this information is up to you.

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
But do some of these books say they're for white-hack hacking so they don't get in trouble?

mellowd
September 2nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
But do some of these books say they're for white-hack hacking so they don't get in trouble?

white hat, grey hat, black hat. The knowledge is all the same. What you do with that knowledge is what determines which hat you fall under

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hacking knows not any color...Now that I think about it..Computers are computers...They don't know what you're doing to them if you find an exploit...They don't know that's not supposed to happen. They only know what they're made to know, regardless of human flaws. Hmm...nice little psychological round-about there :)

Dr Small
September 2nd, 2008, 02:41 AM
white hat, grey hat, black hat. The knowledge is all the same. What you do with that knowledge is what determines which hat you fall under
+1 there.
I fall under whitehat myself :)

egalvan
September 2nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
Thank you! God! I've been waiting for a reply for an hour! Jesus Christ! I can't believe it was so hard for the Ubuntu Community to expend 20 seconds writing that!

The Ubuntu Community, which you seem to rant against, is mainly VOLUNTEERS.

No one pays them, or forces them, to help.

A little civility goes a LONG way to receiving good help from that Community.

ErnestG

LaRoza
September 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
Closed for review.