PDA

View Full Version : What do you use Ubuntu for?

tkaed
September 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get back into the Linux scene, haven't used it in well over 5 years, and I figured I'd stop by these forums since Ubuntu seems to be the most user friendly distro out now.

I need to keep Win on my computer for gaming purposes, but I was wondering what do you guys do with your Linux? Do you game? Just web surf? Do you use it to learn about computers?

Why would somebody use Linux over Windows?

Also, are there any other distro's you guys like?

M4rotku
September 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
I use linux for everything except for one game that has to use windows. However, I am able to play most of my games using linux.

philinux
September 2nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
I bought a new pc so go figure.

Do i buy one with MS and pay for it or go for a custom build and use linux.

Ubuntu is the best by far. The rest are linux but ubuntu is a class leader at the moment.

TWO
September 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
I started trying (K)Ubuntu from last year and have done so ever since on a dual-booted computer.

I do everything on Ubuntu expect for games, which I play under Windows.

My only reason for choosing to use a Linux-based distribution is because I came across Knoppix last year, as I was attempting to salvage stuff from my computer as my Windows decided not to boot up one day. I haven't looked back since but have only ever tried Ubuntu, Debian and Knoppix.

The fact that I am capable of doing pretty much the same thing under (K)Ubuntu as Windows, but for 0% of the cost, is also a great thing for me. I am ever grateful to the open-source community for making such a thing.

I think another reason why one might use a Linux-based distribution over Windows might be because for the moment, since the number of users is apparently tiny as compared to the whole computer user market, there are less virus threats to Linux-based distributions so there is also that peace of mind that comes with using it, although one should still be cautious.

I can't recommend any other distributions because whilst I enjoy using my computer, I don't fancy going through distribution after distribution every time. I settled on Ubuntu and I haven't really looked else where. It's bad enough deciding which environment- KDE or GNOME- you are more comfortable with! I regularly swing back on forth between Kubuntu and Ubuntu...:???:

All in all, as I'm sure you already know, it just gives you a different angle on computing.

kostkon
September 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get back into the Linux scene, haven't used it in well over 5 years, and I figured I'd stop by these forums since Ubuntu seems to be the most user friendly distro out now.

I need to keep Win on my computer for gaming purposes, but I was wondering what do you guys do with your Linux? Do you game? Just web surf? Do you use it to learn about computers?As my main and only OS.

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
I use Linux for learning about computers. Because due to the open-sorce nature, learning is very easy. Trust me! I was a hard-core gamer, playing game such as Oblivion, World of Warcraft, F.E.A.R., Halo, and the best...WORLD CONFLICT! I switched to Linux and thought I might use Wine..Well, wine only supports certain games...I could play WoW and Oblivion and F.E.A.R. But with some issues. After a while..You kinda' forget about games. They become overshadowed by my important things. Of course linux does have some pretty cool games! OpenArena, Nexuiz, Scorched Earth 3D, Alien Arena, DOOM, etc...

django0909
September 2nd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I use Ubuntu for everything except Pro Tools. Which is what my Macbook is for :)

Shouldn't this be in Recurring Conversations, (or whatever it's called?)

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I also liked OpenSUSE and Knoppix...

OutOfReach
September 2nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
I use Ubuntu for basically everything, web email programming, etc.
The only reason I have Windows is to use Propellerhead Reason.

django0909
September 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Ah, a fellow muso? :)

Bölvağur
September 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
You have to have all your data (or build a good collection of personal data) in ubuntu to realize that it isn't the operating system, it is the data that count.

Operating systems only contain your programs which you use to read and write your data.

So I have all my data on Ubuntu and use xp for cod4 and nothing else.

OutOfReach
September 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Ah, a fellow muso? :)

Sure. :)

richg
September 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 the past six months or so. It is very nice. I use low end PCs, i.e., integrated mobo, 3.2g cpu with RAM maxed out. I do not use added video or audio mods.
I surf the 'Net, use O.O. for documents, scan material, usually photos sometimes magazine articles. I use a couple photo applications. A little downside, cannot use OCR when scanning articles. I miss that as OCR with Windows was very nice.
Printer installation is no problem.
All my usb devices work very well.
I do not play games. No Windows or Gates. I do not dual boot. I use removable hard drive trays. I have a second hard drive with Ubuntu 8.04 in case the primary one ever fails. I have never done any partitioning. Never saw a need for it during these nearly four years.
I installed a firewire PCI card for backing up files. Lost a hard drive about six years ago. I have a couple hard drives to try a different OS. I am not very good at software so if the defaults cannot give me what I like, I dump it.
I started with Lindows/Linspire 12-2003. Linspire/Freespire is dying and Ubuntu does more plus timely updates. I believe you will like Ubuntu.

Rich

k3lt01
September 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
I use Ubuntu for everything bar 1 thing on a really old Toshiba laptop which has Windows 98 (I prefer Windows 95 as its smaller anyway) and I really only need MS-DOS anyway. Being a mechanic by trade (as well as many other things) I use the Toshiba to tune my car in real-time. The really interesting thing is the guy who developed the program I use has been considering changing to another OS for ease of use with usb etc and is considering Linux for it.

Everything else, including my Linguistics programs, I run on my 2 Ubuntu machines, either natively or through WINE.:guitar:

ctswhole
September 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
I use Ubuntu for everything now. The things I do on a computer are faster and safer in a Linux environment (web surfing, video converting, etc..) I used to dual-boot with Vista because my TV tuner card was not functional with Ubuntu, but those days are long gone. Some things took a little tweaking to get working, but the overall experience is much better than any previous OS's I used.

jemate18
September 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
I use Ubuntu for almost everything Information Technology related. But for the most part, I use it in java programming.

Swenghk
September 2nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I also use Ubuntu for learning about the CLI (Command Line Interface)

jimmgunnz
September 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
i actually just got into linux personally. i'm still kind of setting up and getting optimal, so i guess i'm using it for learning about computers at this point. also, i think it makes you sound cooler when you tell people that you're running on linux. then there's compiz, which is pretty rad, my desktop is a cube and such. definitely impresses people and makes them jealous lol.

WinterWeaver
September 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
I use it for everything I do.

Biggest use however is web-development.

when I'm bored, I Wiggle my windows around a bit... then I go back to work...

jfbays
September 2nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
I have been fooling around with Ubuntu 8.04 for several months now. I use it, and the repos programs, for everything, EXCEPT video editing and authoring. I have been using applications like FireFox, OpenOffice, Gimp, and Audacity for years in their Windows versions. So the change from Windows to Ubuntu was not really too shocking. If, and when, Ubuntu/Linux developers come up with some 5 star video editing/authoring applications, I will probably quit Windows altogether. Not that I am anti-Windows, but I spend most of my time on my Ubuntu machine anyway...

Now this may upset some Linuxphiles, but the further away from Linux CLI terminal the better. When Ubuntu can fully insulate the average user, even the "power" user, from the command line crap (like mac OSX does with UNIX), then Ubuntu will possibly be the the greatest OS ever...

Edit: hope I didn't kill this thread; because I want to hear more...

pk501
September 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Every computer in my house except for my work laptop has Ubuntu on it - I find it crashes less and has all the software I need.

I love to fiddle and Linux suits that need well.

My main apps are Mythtv and apache2.

I also use Ubuntu for just about everything else - Web, programming and media.

silverglade00
September 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
I use it at home to learn remote server administration. I play with setting up blogs, websites, CSMs, etc. all over ssh so I can learn the command line way of doing it. I also use it as my OS at my job as a University help desk monkey. I am the only one doing it in my department, and everyone else gets jealous of my wiggly windows and cube desktop. I do have Winows Server 2003 caged up in Virtualbox. We have a Windows-only ticketing system and I also use it for Active Directory stuff. We also use TeamViewer for remote work and it works perfectly in Wine frfrom the repos. In fact, it seems to get better framerate than the native Windows, but that could just be my bias.

porchrat
September 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I like ubuntu as a server...hated Gentoo though

Oldsoldier2003
September 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Moved to CC from ABT.
here is my cotribution to the thread:
I use Ubuntu for everything, it is my primary desktop OS. My wife and daughter still use windows for gaming and 3d graphics.

tribaal
September 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Everything - I use it on my home machines and at work. I hardly ever touch a computer that's not Linux (except precisely to install linux :) )

- Trib'