PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are there ANY disadvantages to running Ubuntu as a program on windows?

Rukaru
September 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
It sounds so easy. I will mostly be using windows for my laptop I use for college(yes I know ubuntu is better), but I'd like to have ubuntu as well. I dual-boot ubuntu and XP on my desktop. On this, I'd like to try that new feature that lets you run ubuntu on windows like you'd run a program. I just want to know, are there ANY disadvantages at all to doing this? Related to security, usability, or anything? I just don't want grub on this computer so this would be a nice alternative. Can you still have compiz and all that? Once in ubuntu, is it exactly the same as you run it during a dual boot just without grub?

Redmumba
September 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Well, obviously, you're going to suffer the same problems you would have when running Windows normal--mismanaged memory, etc.. When the foundation is unstable, anything you build on it, no matter how stable in itself, will only be as stable as the foundation.

Anzan
September 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I agree with Redmumba.

Windows is inherently unstable (a single application can take the whole system down) and poorly designed (the GUI and the kernel are mashed together) and implemented (BSOD). And it is insecure not only because it is pervasive and thus a target but because its design makes exploits easy and the corporation that markets it lets days, weeks, months and in some cases years go by before addressing some issues.

EDIT: Wubi is a great introduction to the Linux userland space but until a pc is running Linux, BSD, Solaris, or some other *nix (such as Mac OSX) it is a danger to every other person not using *nix.