PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot grub windows hard drive help

epotn
September 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
i installed ubuntu on my left over drive space and grub automatically detected my windows partition, but it did it twice:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

# on /dev/sdb1
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

so when i log into windows my second hard drive is not showing up im pretty sure the problem is right here if anyone could help
thanks
-Epotn

*to specify i have 2 HD's one is for winxp/ubuntu and the other is for music, movies, etc..

caljohnsmith
September 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
You shouldn't need that second entry in your menu.lst if that HDD is just "movies, music, etc". And also, having that entry in your menu.lst will not affect whether Windows can see that HDD. Does Ubuntu see that HDD? Also, what file system does that HDD use--NTFS, FAT32, ext3, etc?

epotn
September 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM
ubuntu sees it its a ntfs

JC Cheloven
September 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
The second windows entry seems to be nothing but garbage. Just 'comment' all the lines of that entry and see if your problem is fixed. If it is, you can definitively delete these lines at a later time.

Just in case: to 'comment' these lines, open the file in an editor

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
and put a # at the beginning of each line. Save, exit and reboot.

manishtech
September 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
i installed ubuntu on my left over drive space and grub automatically detected my windows partition, but it did it twice:

# on /dev/sda1
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

# on /dev/sdb1
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

so when i log into windows my second hard drive is not showing up im pretty sure the problem is right here if anyone could help
thanks
-Epotn

*to specify i have 2 HD's one is for winxp/ubuntu and the other is for music, movies, etc..
As you can see that the second entry mentions the root as (hd1,0), then it maps the two hard disks. I means that they are swapped for this entry. Effectively it becomes (hd0,0). So its just a redundant entry. Remove it as mentioned above/