PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't log in when password asked

fred0410
September 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hi i need some help, i'm installing ubuntu on a friend's computer , everything when well, installation and everything, but when i try to log on by typing the password (of which I am a 100 percent sure) I keep on coming to the same screen. I tried typing the password 10 times but to no avail. If I type an incorrect password it says so. I logged once by choosing the safemode, tried to change the password from within but same thing happens. Anyone got a hint?

JC Cheloven
September 2nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
It's weird, indeed. This kind of things only happen when you are with your newly "converted" friends :-D

Anyway, I don't know why this may happen, but if you can log-in in safe mode, you could create another user (with the same privileges), restart, and see if you can do a normal login with this new user.
If so, You can setup the account(s) on that machine as desired at a later time.

Hope this helps.

fred0410
September 3rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
does ubuntu have any conflict with ati motherboards or ati video cards? since I have Ati fire gl display card and the screen goes black after typing the password I was wondering if that would be the problem?

cariboo
September 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
It looks like Ubuntu is not detecting the video card or display porperly. Reboot and start up in recovery mode and try xfix.

Jim