PDA

View Full Version : I love the free world!

Bragador
September 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi all!

I'll keep it simple.

I love the idea of people giving a bit of their free time to build free projects and a free (speach) Internet.

Now, I didn't study in computer sciences at all though it was always a passion to me.

Are most people here only users or do you give a little back to the community? I'm wondering if to truly help, I'd have get a second degree in computer science (maybe it was meant for me after all).

So, are most of you in computer sciences? If not, do you do something for the community in other ways?

billgoldberg
September 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hi all!

I'll keep it simple.

I love the idea of people giving a bit of their free time to build free projects and a free (speach) Internet.

Now, I didn't study in computer sciences at all though it was always a passion to me.

Are most people here only users or do you give a little back to the community? I'm wondering if to truly help, I'd have get a second degree in computer science (maybe it was meant for me after all).

So, are most of you in computer sciences? If not, do you do something for the community in other ways?

Giving back to the community doesn't mean you have to be a coding genius.

There are a lot of different ways you can contribute.

Check the list here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu

--

I just help people in the support forums if I can and write some guides on my blog.

I've helped a lot of people like that.

karellen
September 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
well, I've just got the degree in computer science this summer :D; as for contributing to the community, I talk about Linux and the choice it represents to my friends and acquaintances and I give cds with Ubuntu and other distros to anyone who expressed interest in trying Linux. not much, I know, but I try to spread the word and in the meantime not to preach and annoy people

Bragador
September 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hey, thanks for the wiki link. I never saw that... and they even have an art division hehe. I might be able to help with that.

As for not needing to be a genius coder, well, I was a bit enamored with the hacker image when I was in highschool. Everywhere on the net it seemed that if you didn't code something and that it was made by someone else, you were nothing.

I guess it stayed with me and I see the other contributions as "inferior".

Hmm... I never thought about it before now.

nowin4me
September 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
I am gonna try the Ubuntu 8:10 in BETA/APLHA to help the community.
You can to if you want, the more people the less errors in the final version.

chocbar31
September 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
"As for not needing to be a genius coder, well, I was a bit enamored with the hacker image when I was in highschool. Everywhere on the net it seemed that if you didn't code something and that it was made by someone else, you were nothing."

Huh? Sounds and smells like Fear - Uncertainty - Doubt (FUD) LOL

There are also forks! Ubuntu is a fork of Linux. Just because you didn't build it does not mean you can't make it better or different. M$ doesn't like this, but the Linux community does; freedom!

Linux gives you the freedom to resolve, expand, and/or re-invent the wheel!

:guitar:

Even if you find the slightest security or hardware flaw. Report it at Launchpad, if/when it gets fixed, you have contributed to the code. Linux is pretty much community driven and it takes us all.

I'd say joining this forum is contributing, you asked a question that prompted others to educate and share links to other knowledge, that maybe others would not have even known about.

Your voice counts in Linux!

Dremora
September 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
We are the Free World.

Lower your defenses and prepare to surrender.

Your oil fields will be added to our own.

Resistance is futile.