PDA

View Full Version : Do you use nonfree apps?

daller
November 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Hi There,

I just wanna know how many on this forum actually doesn't use nonfree software.

Personally, I'm a gamer, so I couldn't live without the nvidia-glx package installed.

I also use Wine to run DVDShrink (I know there is dvdbackup, but it doesn't have shrinking options!)

...And then there is suns java package :)

What about you?

qalimas
November 15th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have the Nvidia package installed, Neverwinter Nights, and I think that's all really. I use free, but not open-source, software like Opera. for hte most part though, I mainly run OSS.

etc
November 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I use Sun Java, non-free codecs, Skype, and there are some closed source games a play.

chunk
November 15th, 2005, 10:59 PM
The only nonfree software I use are some video codecs (and of course, a few binary drivers that don't have free alternatives). Nonfree software just isn't worth the hassel most of the time.

xequence
November 15th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I have many non open source applications. I have nothing that costs me money, in that term of free, if you mean it.

WildTangent
November 15th, 2005, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't say that I don't care about the GPL, but I do still dual-boot windows. I also do use a few closed source but free software. I also pirate some non-free, non-opensource software on windows :rolleyes:

-Wild

[Rui]
November 15th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I've been on a Free Software diet ever since the late nineties.

I only wish my food diet was half as easy :)

poptones
November 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM
no

bored2k
November 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
The answer that would come close to me would be

Well, I don't care about GPL, in fact I dualboot Windows XP!

ember
November 15th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Mhmm ... I feel an option like:

I use free software whenever there is one that meets my needs, otherwise I fall back to non-free one.

In fact, I dualboot with Windows XP, but I use OpenOffice/GIMP/Gaim/Firefox/Thunderbird/etc. on Windows, too. There are just some things that are working out better on Windows (in my case I mainly boot Windows, because I have to develop .Net-Software for a university seminar).

Malphas
November 16th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I use lots of non-free software, sometimes out of choice, where the closed source version is just superior to any open source alternative, (Adobe Photoshop, PlexTools Professional, DVD Rebuilder Pro, Exact Audio Copy, Foobar2000 - those last two are freeware); and sometimes out of necessity - I have to use XP in order to run some of the applications I use and play the occasional game. I wouldn't say I don't care about GPL, but the first and foremost priority when choosing software is that it's well made and performs its task well.

ferentix
November 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Well, I inevetably have much non-GPL software, as I still use a windows XP as my primary computer.OTOH, much of the software on there was freeware, and I use the WinGIMP and other OSS windows binaries too.

jeremy
November 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I voted I'm a GPL-saint!!! which isn't absolutely true, I do have a few codecs, plus mailwasher pro, I only use the last because I can't find a decent alternative. If someone restarted development of say kshowmail or save my modem, and made them as good as mwp (shouldn't be too difficult), I would happily change.
There have been suggestions about making mwp open source at http://castlecops.com/forum160.html but so far it has not been taken seriously, perhaps if a few more posts were made...