View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Problem with video and subtitles in Mplayer

September 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM

I've recently stumbled over Mplayer and decided to give it a go. I had some starter issues, such as error opening/initializing the selected video_out(-vo) device. However I managed to get around that error.

Even if I now can view video files, I still have a problem with the aspect raito and subtitles.

as you can see, the video is hardly without color and stuffed to the far side of the screen. Subtitles are also layered on top of another, rather than old subs go away as the next lines come in.

Experimenting around with aspect raito and full screen doesn't really help solve the problem.

If you need more details of my system setup, please let me know, along with whatever terminal commands I need to use to get the info needed as I'm not very skilled when it comes to the linux terminal:lolflag:

September 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Try installing and using smplayer which is a frontend for mplayer. Mplayer gave me fits too and smplayer while it still uses mplayer as the backend to play the file works fine. Its in the repositories so it is easy to install.

Hope that works

September 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
That worked like a charm, thanks a lot :D

Now... anime, anime and more anime....