PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Media files don't play while firefox is open.

blondieoubre
September 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
My wife recently installed 32-hardy heron as we had been surviving on gutsy until now. After the switch to hardy 8.04.1, all media files would stop working when firefox 3.0.1 was open. They work firefox is closed though.

I installed the alsa package and I got mp3s + and audio files to work. But video files just wouldn't play.

In fact the exact problem that happens is that after a few seconds of audio-less play, most media players (media player, mplayer, amarok, realplayer, noatun) all stop responding. I can't even stream media files off the net.

In fact, audio files won't play in anything but alsa (which is annoying but fine as long as I have it play.)

I went through the sticky link at the top of the multimedia forum page and went through all the steps again and installed everything and I have some success as VLCs media player and Gnome media player will now play streaming and local video files while firefox is up but they will not play sound. This also goes for mp3s. If I try to play an mp3 in these programs, it goes through the process of acting as though the file is playing but no sound comes out of my speakers.

All of my sound preferences are set to Alsa. I'm pretty much lost now on what to do now. Help?

tuxxy
September 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Could it be a Flash issue?

blondieoubre
September 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM
If you mean are there any flash-based pages open? No. I checked that. If you mean something else, I don't know.

tuskenraider
September 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
yeah i know you said its not flash... but have a look here.. i had the same issue!!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=906094

tusken

blondieoubre
September 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
yeah i know you said its not flash... but have a look here.. i had the same issue!!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=906094

tusken

Hm, that isn't the issue, I followed the indicated methods and my soundcards work which is what I've tested in the past.

The tests work when firefox is open even.