PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot usb-stick from floppy > how to make boot floppy inside Windows

MacG10
September 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have stripped an old laptop to the motherboard and screen that I want to turn into a photoframe.

When I first started this project I was going to install Ubuntu on the harddrive, but I have decided to go away from this original plan as the harddrive is too loud when not inside a laptop casing (not very nice to have a loud photo-frame...)

I have been google-ing a lot on the topic of making a boot-floppy so I can run an USB-stick with Ubuntu, but have come across the following problem:
I cannot seem to find a site that shows how to make a boot-floppy inside Windows that will enable USB. All sites seem to already have Ubuntu running on a computer to make a floppy from there. I only have one laptop that has a floppy-drive > the one I am currently working on. This laptop currently has Windows on the harddisk and this is where I need to 'make' the boot-floppy. Once I have this floppy I can discard the harddrive and run the floppy/usb combo.

Any help is appreciated, since I am currently stuck and really want to continue this project.

adewale
September 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
You have several options.
1. Take a look at Unetbootin. Its has a windows exe that would enable you to install to your usb drive.
2. I think ubuntu should be able to install directly to your usb drive.
3. Superfloppy mode. I came across this when i used puppy linux. It had a simple program for installing to usb drives. So it gave the option of superfloppy for motherboards that can't boot directly from a usb device.

I'd say go for unetbootin

MacG10
September 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
I should add that my BIOS does not support direct boot from USB, so that's why I need the floppy boot disk that will enable USB so it can then start up Ubuntu from stick...

adewale
September 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB

This should do the trick.