PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get the word out about my product?

miggols99
September 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm selling Linux CDs as some of you might know. But I'm having a problem getting the word out about it. I get less than 10 visits every day which is not good enough. What is the best way to tell people about my product? I did try Adbard but I didn't get a single sale out of it :( Any ideas?

pmlxuser
September 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
if you were targeting a specific group then
1. demonstration of your product at differnt location would help
say you wanted highschool students then a demonstration at a fair at the compus would boost you up.

2. hire a consultant to do the advertising :)

nowin4me
September 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Show them what you can do with it.
Use the desktop cube.
Make a video or 2 of what it can do.

Are you trying to sell Ubuntu Live CD's?

miggols99
September 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Yes, Ubuntu is one of the distros I'm trying to sell. I put a promotion on it so you can get a free case label, but that didn't seem to attract any buyers...

nowin4me
September 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
I advise you to put some youtube videos up of what Ubuntu and the rest of the distros can do. And them embed them into your site.

It also may attract some youtubers and they might order from your site.

Also try some more advertising.
And maybe offer them some free software or a starter kit.

Also put a link to this forum on your site so they can see how friendly and helpful the community is here.

These are just some ideas.

EDIT

Maybe you could sell them a starter kit CD you could do them for different distribution, in fact I would personally like to see some of those sold (I am having troubles installing things and getting good programs). You could also offer them a Linux manual of how to do things.

EDIT 2 If you do those thongs in edit one I would buy a starter kit and a manual from you as long as you can post to the UK.

miggols99
September 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
I advise you to put some youtube videos up of what Ubuntu and the rest of the distros can do. And them embed them into your site.

It also may attract some youtubers and they might order from your site.

Also try some more advertising.
And maybe offer them some free software or a starter kit.

Also put a link to this forum on your site so they can see how friendly and helpful the community is here.

These are just some ideas.

EDIT

Maybe you could sell them a starter kit CD you could do them for different distribution, in fact I would personally like to see some of those sold (I am having troubles installing things and getting good programs). You could also offer them a Linux manual of how to do things.

EDIT 2 If you do those thongs in edit one I would buy a starter kit and a manual from you as long as you can post to the UK.

Do you mean like a PDF manual on a CD? Yes..I could do that :)

Naiki Muliaina
September 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Network!

On a tiny scale my webby gets 12 viewers a day average. The only place theres even a link to my site is in my sig. Its updated about once a week. Yet i am getting viewers from this forum.

My partner runs a succesful internet business selling hand made jewelry. She averages a few hundred hits before shes gotten up for breakfast in the morning. She spends half her day making stuff and listing it, the other half on forums and social networking sites. She has a link in her sig which she barely mentions. People click on it however because she helps folk on forums. She displays a good knowledge of what she does. People are intrested in her and what she does.

So, one way of getting yourself seen, network! :)

nowin4me
September 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Do you mean like a PDF manual on a CD? Yes..I could do that :)

Yes I meant as a PDF manual.
And could you make it simple and put it in easy steps if so that would be GREAT :):razz:.

miggols99
September 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yes I meant as a PDF manual.
And could you make it simple and put it in easy steps if so that would be GREAT :):razz:.
I'll start on that...but what should I include in it? I guess the most necessary would be terminal commands, but what else?

nowin4me
September 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I'll start on that...but what should I include in it? I guess the most necessary would be terminal commands, but what else?

A list of useful programs like QuickStart that you can get here http://quickstart.phpbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11

What and what not to expect from the terminal.
Useful terminal commands.

I dunno go around the Absolute Beginner Talk section and see what they need help with the most
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

I need help with installing things VIA terminal.

Maybe you could either:

a) Sell it with the CD/DVD
b) Sell it on it's own
c) Both