PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your computer parts from?

kjb34
September 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'm just curious where most here get their computer parts. I have used the internet , big box retailers, and mom& pop shops. I used to tend to go wherever I can get the best deal. Now I'm learning to use a little bit more discretion where I get my stuff from.

barbedsaber
September 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I don't build or upgrade, I only have laptops.

OutOfReach
September 1st, 2008, 07:41 AM
I usually don't build my own computers, but while I was building one for my dad, we bought all of the parts from Fry's Electronics, pretty awesome place, they have it all. :)

MaxIBoy
September 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Newegg for the win! I don't shop anywhere else now.

LaRoza
September 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Where ever the best prices are.

Amazon gets my first look, as it is my favourite e-commerce site.

billgoldberg
September 1st, 2008, 07:51 AM
Local computer shop.

It's a 10 meter walk, the price is ok and the service is great.

--

I don't understand what you mean with half the things in the poll, so I won't vote.

swoll1980
September 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
Micro Center

Xzallion
September 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
If I can wait, I use newegg. If I need it now, Bestbuy/Walmart. I hate those stores but sometimes you just have to get something now, and they are the only ones in my area.

wirepuller134
September 1st, 2008, 08:35 AM
IBM and Newegg.

perlluver
September 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Tigerdirect and newegg, prices are fantastic.

gn2
September 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Shameless plug for my friendly local computer shop http://www.everest-tech.co.uk

Helpful friendly and efficient service, I prefer to support them with my custom rather than the internet, because if you don't use local shops they will close.

Everest's returns service is superb, RAM for instance, if it doesn't work in a particular board they will exchange it immediately over the counter.
You might save a few £/$ but you won't ever get that level of customer service from the internet.

billgoldberg
September 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Shameless plug for my friendly local computer shop http://www.everest-tech.co.uk

Helpful friendly and efficient service, I prefer to support them with my custom rather than the internet, because if you don't use local shops they will close.

Everest's returns service is superb, RAM for instance, if it doesn't work in a particular board they will exchange it immediately over the counter.
You might save a few £/$ but you won't ever get that level of customer service from the internet.

That's the same reason I go to the local shop.

The guy knows me and I know him.

So when I buy something that doesn't work with linux, I turn it back and he'll give me something else that will work (and I pay extra or give money back off course depending on the price).

I also can't wait for stuff to arrive.

If I want something, I want it now. I'm not going to wait one week to save 5-10 euro.

Bakon Jarser
September 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Newegg if I don't need it quick. Mom and pop shop when I need it now. They have a way better selection then big box stores or wal-mart for about the same prices and the staff actually knows about computers.

Kvark
September 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
I check 2 or 3 price comparison websites and buy from the cheapest Swedish site that has a good reputation.

I don't need support but still wish there was a physical store nearby that had every piece of hardware (I usually want a specific model) and decent prices so I wouldn't have to wait 1-2 office days. Unfortunately such a store wouldn't be able to sell the stuff before it becomes obsolete.

skitzware
September 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Shady guy in a pub... always asks "Do you want some hardware...?"
If not there then ebay..